Ross Barkley

And this is why our academy needs to stand up and deliver. Barkley at his current level and what he has achieved, is probably not worth more than £15m-£20m and they wanted over £50m. He's fast and exciting but hasn't actually done much yet beyond flashes of great potential and a few nice goals.

We'll only blow our transfer budgets chasing the latest English prodigies unless we take them before they debut for the first team and find a way to develop them better, something we seem to be improving on with carefully chosen loans. Buy foreign and try our damnedest to produce some good homegrown talents. Maybe Lopes can be as good after a year or so of playing at a decent level.

LoveCity said:
And this is why our academy needs to stand up and deliver. Barkley at his current level and what he has achieved, is probably not worth more than £15m-£20m and they wanted over £50m. He's fast and exciting but hasn't actually done much yet beyond flashes of great potential and a few nice goals.

We'll only blow our transfer budgets chasing the latest English prodigies unless we take them before they debut for the first team and find a way to develop them better, something we seem to be improving on with carefully chosen loans. Buy foreign and try our damnedest to produce some good homegrown talents. Maybe Lopes can be as good after a year or so of playing at a decent level.

Yep, it's fucking insane the prices going around for English talent now. I'd much rather us develop our own or, as I haven't said it in a month or so go and buy Will Hughes.

LoveCity said:

I suspect City dropped their interest because of the FFP sanctions. From the outside he may only be "fast and exciting", however if the interest from City was serious, then I'd suspect it's because they think he's good enough to play in our first team. In which case, the only way money becomes an issue is because of FFP constraints.

Personally think that injury/medical records permitting - it's nailed on to happen next summer. I realise that the current train of thought is the academy must deliver, but sometimes natural talent can't be taught or coached, it's just there. In those circumstances I'd rather City were picking the fruit from the rest of the PL rather than standing by idly whilst the rags or Chelsea or Arsenal do.

If its £50m asking price for Barkley then can't we get Pogba for similiar amount and does he qualify as homegrown?

Stuff like this is so difficult to judge.

A couple of years ago I really thought that Phil Jones, Jack Wilshire and Jack Rodwell would be world beaters and I bet lots of you did as well.

Whether we get him or not I really hope that his one turns into another Gazza or Hoddle.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-city-dropped-ross-barkley-4095928

Manchester City dropped Ross Barkley pursuit after Everton demanded £50MILLION for youngster

Aug 23, 2014 22:30 By Simon Mullock

City were prepared to pay £30million plus bonuses but were stunned by the Goodison outfit's valuation of a player with fewer than 30 top-flight starts

Manchester City ditched a plan to sign Ross Barkley after being told it would take a bid of more than £50million to tempt Everton to sell.

Sunday Mirror revealed in July that Manuel Pellegrini had the England midfielder in his sights after a sensational performance against City towards the end of last season.

But Etihad officials were stunned to learn of Everton’s sky-high valuation of a player who has made less than 30 Premier League starts.

The fee would have smashed the record paid for an English player when Liverpool handed Newcastle £35m for Andy Carroll.

City were willing to go to £30m – and were offering additional payments should Barkley realise his huge potential.

A City insider said: “Barkley was seen as one of the few homegrown English players in the world game who would improve the squad.”

Barkley, 20, has now secured his Goodison future by signing a new four-year deal.

But he has been sidelined for the first 10 weeks of the new season by torn knee ligaments.

ifiwasarichfan said:

A couple of years ago I really thought that Phil Jones, Jack Wilshire and Jack Rodwell would be world beaters and I bet lots of you did as well.

Whether we get him or not I really hope that his one turns into another Gazza or Hoddle.
Yesh, I thought the same at the time and only Phil Jones has made the step up to world class

abu13 said:
ifiwasarichfan said:

Yesh, I thought the same at the time and only Phil Jones has made the step up to world class

Philinho has gone above and beyond the level of world class.

abu13 said:
ifiwasarichfan said:

That's bollocks.

He's always been world class.

BlueDejong said:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-city-dropped-ross-barkley-4095928

Manchester City dropped Ross Barkley pursuit after Everton demanded £50MILLION for youngster

Aug 23, 2014 22:30 By Simon Mullock

City were prepared to pay £30million plus bonuses but were stunned by the Goodison outfit's valuation of a player with fewer than 30 top-flight starts

Manchester City ditched a plan to sign Ross Barkley after being told it would take a bid of more than £50million to tempt Everton to sell.

Sunday Mirror revealed in July that Manuel Pellegrini had the England midfielder in his sights after a sensational performance against City towards the end of last season.

But Etihad officials were stunned to learn of Everton’s sky-high valuation of a player who has made less than 30 Premier League starts.

The fee would have smashed the record paid for an English player when Liverpool handed Newcastle £35m for Andy Carroll.

City were willing to go to £30m – and were offering additional payments should Barkley realise his huge potential.

A City insider said: “Barkley was seen as one of the few homegrown English players in the world game who would improve the squad.”

Barkley, 20, has now secured his Goodison future by signing a new four-year deal.

But he has been sidelined for the first 10 weeks of the new season by torn knee ligaments.

With all due respect to Everton, if I were Barkley I'd be pretty unhappy about that. A genuine 50 million valuation is going to seriously jeopardize his chances of playing for a top club with FFPR now in full swing. 30 million plus bonuses is a big gamble as it is, and now imagine if his knee starts giving him long term grief? May need to get comfy over there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.