Ross Barkley

adrianr said:
BlueDejong said:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-city-dropped-ross-barkley-4095928

Manchester City dropped Ross Barkley pursuit after Everton demanded £50MILLION for youngster

Aug 23, 2014 22:30 By Simon Mullock

City were prepared to pay £30million plus bonuses but were stunned by the Goodison outfit's valuation of a player with fewer than 30 top-flight starts

Manchester City ditched a plan to sign Ross Barkley after being told it would take a bid of more than £50million to tempt Everton to sell.

Sunday Mirror revealed in July that Manuel Pellegrini had the England midfielder in his sights after a sensational performance against City towards the end of last season.

But Etihad officials were stunned to learn of Everton’s sky-high valuation of a player who has made less than 30 Premier League starts.

The fee would have smashed the record paid for an English player when Liverpool handed Newcastle £35m for Andy Carroll.

City were willing to go to £30m – and were offering additional payments should Barkley realise his huge potential.

A City insider said: “Barkley was seen as one of the few homegrown English players in the world game who would improve the squad.”

Barkley, 20, has now secured his Goodison future by signing a new four-year deal.

But he has been sidelined for the first 10 weeks of the new season by torn knee ligaments.

With all due respect to Everton, if I were Barkley I'd be pretty unhappy about that. A genuine 50 million valuation is going to seriously jeopardize his chances of playing for a top club with FFPR now in full swing. 30 million plus bonuses is a big gamble as it is, and now imagine if his knee starts giving him long term grief? May need to get comfy over there.

I agree. I think that article is bullshit though, city insider my arse....

efcblue said:
Morning people.

After a bunch of you decided to engage in a spot of ribbing due to my posts about young Ross, I thought I'd point out what the MEN are reporting. I'm not sure how much you lot trust your local media (personally, we don't usually like the Echo cause it tends to be tinted red) but:

"City have already put out feelers about 20-year-old England ace Barkley, but Everton quoted an outrageous price.

"With a transfer spending cap of £49million imposed by UEFA as part of their punishment for breaching financial fair play rules, City cannot afford to buy the Scouser unless they raise funds through player sales.

As I said, we won't be letting him go for less than £50m. You could probably expect to see him go for more that that, if he does go, as he's only going to improve in ability (and thus value) as time goes on.

Seems like I was right, lads.

Don't worry, you couldn't have known.

We already knew this when Martinez said in a presser towards the end of last season that they'd told the rags/dippers to do one for £50m

efcblue said:
efcblue said:
Morning people.

After a bunch of you decided to engage in a spot of ribbing due to my posts about young Ross, I thought I'd point out what the MEN are reporting. I'm not sure how much you lot trust your local media (personally, we don't usually like the Echo cause it tends to be tinted red) but:

"City have already put out feelers about 20-year-old England ace Barkley, but Everton quoted an outrageous price.

"With a transfer spending cap of £49million imposed by UEFA as part of their punishment for breaching financial fair play rules, City cannot afford to buy the Scouser unless they raise funds through player sales.

As I said, we won't be letting him go for less than £50m. You could probably expect to see him go for more that that, if he does go, as he's only going to improve in ability (and thus value) as time goes on.

We'll see if he continues to improve after a lengthy, serious injury. Plenty haven't.

quiet_riot said:
efcblue said:
efcblue said:
Morning people.

We'll see if he continues to improve after a lengthy, serious injury. Plenty haven't.
Michael Johnson being a prime example

Sunday Mirror revealed in July that Manuel Pellegrini had the England midfielder in his sights after a sensational performance against City towards the end of last season.

Sure, that's how we sign players these days - if he has a good game against us we are buying him.

The only problem is that we would sign like 30 players who never had a good game again :P

CitizenTID said:
We already knew this when Martinez said in a presser towards the end of last season that they'd told the rags/dippers to do one for £50m

According to you guys, that's absolute rubbish and just a rumour, even though I was saying it was true.

Still believe it is rubbish! He will move for 30-35mil tops next summer in my honest opinion. And he will be a rip of at that price but that's the price you pay for home grown player.

dachoosen1 said:
Still believe it is rubbish! He will move for 30-35mil tops next summer in my honest opinion. And he will be a rip of at that price but that's the price you pay for home grown player.

Doesn't matter what your opinion is - it's wrong. I know that Everton will not be selling for less than £50m and depending on how he does this season we could be demanding more.

£30m would not be a rip off either. You look at the price Arsenal paid for Ozil; most people would have said they'd rather pay that for him than Barkley, but Ozil isn't exactly setting the league alight. When you buy from abroad, the players are a risk. When you buy English talent you know they will produce in the Premier League.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.