Ross Barkley

sam-caddick said:
LoveCity said:
BigOscar said:
James McCarthey always looks ten times the player Barkley is, he just isn't english or a big strong lad. He consistently does an awful lot more to a significantly higher standard

That seems to be our transfer policy nowadays.

☑ Big
☑ Strong
☑ Athletic
☑ Technically limited
☑ Overpriced

Astonishing we're running by men who oversaw the great Barcelona team when you look at some of our signings/targets.

That Barcelona did inherit Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Valdes, Puyol, Pedro, Busquets and co, you could have added a load of 14 year old to that team and probably still would have done great.

Txiki's transfer business was very patchy at Barcelona if you look at his history, and don't forget he would have played a part in losing both Pique and Fabregas to United and Arsenal respectively only for the club to spend around 50m bringing them back.

Txiki is here primarily because of the implementation of a philosophy throughout the club.

Barkley would be a good Milner replacement but only if he was bought for 15m-20m, if we and up blowing 30m-40m on him we may as well accept we are heading into Europa League status.

How does that work?

Silva_Spell said:
sam-caddick said:
LoveCity said:
That seems to be our transfer policy nowadays.

☑ Big
☑ Strong
☑ Athletic
☑ Technically limited
☑ Overpriced

Astonishing we're running by men who oversaw the great Barcelona team when you look at some of our signings/targets.

That Barcelona did inherit Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Valdes, Puyol, Pedro, Busquets and co, you could have added a load of 14 year old to that team and probably still would have done great.

Txiki's transfer business was very patchy at Barcelona if you look at his history, and don't forget he would have played a part in losing both Pique and Fabregas to United and Arsenal respectively only for the club to spend around 50m bringing them back.

Txiki is here primarily because of the implementation of a philosophy throughout the club.

Barkley would be a good Milner replacement but only if he was bought for 15m-20m, if we and up blowing 30m-40m on him we may as well accept we are heading into Europa League status.

How does that work?

He isn't worth 30m-40m, more like 15m.

If we think the likes of Barkley is a 40m player and make equivalent signings for similar amounts we will regress big time.

40m should be spent on the likes of Koke or Marco Reus, proper world class talents.

I think we need to be realistic. City have shown recently that we can't attract the worlds very best players we're just not there yet as a club and we can't throw the money around to get them either. So people saying we should get Pogba as well when it's pretty much nailed on he's going Madrid is just wishful thinking. Barkley has had a bad season like most of the Everton players but has still shown the talent is there. If we can get him for about £20 million he's well worth buying.

RandomJ said:
I think we need to be realistic. City have shown recently that we can't attract the worlds very best players we're just not there yet as a club and we can't throw the money around to get them either. So people saying we should get Pogba as well when it's pretty much nailed on he's going Madrid is just wishful thinking. Barkley has had a bad season like most of the Everton players but has still shown the talent is there. If we can get him for about £20 million he's well worth buying.

I will say we are not willing to pay to attract the very best players. both isco and hazard we refused to pay the agent fees

its ok to miss out if we are matching or exceeding the financial offer of competitors, but to expect players to choose us with less money is ludicrous

RandomJ said:
Then how does PSG do it?

RandomJ said:

If you can't get the world's best, get the second best or the best of tomorrow. We had our chance to sign Pogba and Verratti, and signed Garcia and Rodwell instead. Barkley is not showing ANY signs lately of being anything close to one of the world's best young players. Right now, if we signed him, my expectations would be him becoming a good player like Milner, not a great player like Silva.

So if we can't outmuscle Real or Chelsea for Pogba or Reus (in the small chance he leaves) or any other of the marquee elite, then try for Koke. Try for Gundogan. Try for De Bruyne. Try for Firmino. Try for Sterling. Try for Depay. Try for Bellarabi. Try for Lacazette. Try for Dybala. Try for Gaya. Young players who are having a REAL impact on their teams in good leagues at young ages, not existing in the shadows. Barkley is having no tangible impact when he should be shining in an average Everton team for us to spend big money on him. Lopes is shining in an average Lille team that has no idea how to attack without him, yet we'd shove him aside to spend god-knows-how-much on Barkley (just because he's been wank this season doesn't necessarily mean Everton will ask for peanuts)?

I hope some of these rumoured targets are a sick joke, like Cresswell and Ljajic. Barkley I could stomach only if he comes really cheap, not so expensive he'd make a dent in our summer budget. But I have a feeling we'll overpay again and use the money we could put towards names like those above on a player who, quite frankly, has contributed nothing this season. He doesn't score. He doesn't assist. He doesn't split open defences. He doesn't run the game with his passing. I watch him every time Everton are on and am constantly disappointed. He doesn't have nearly enough impact on the game. Yes he might improve, but we could target much better young players at this point in time who would be within our reach.

If we do not spend well this summer, we're facing a fight for top 4, not 1st.

United's rumoured targets: Depay or Bale, Hummels, Clyne, Strootman
Chelsea's rumoured targets: Varane, Pogba, Dybala
Arsenal's rumoured targets: Cech, Subotic, Schneiderlin

FantasyIreland said:
BigOscar said:
James McCarthey always looks ten times the player Barkley is, he just isn't english or a big strong lad. He consistently does an awful lot more to a significantly higher standard

I agree,he's far more consistent with a fantastic engine and a superb attitude.His more defensive approach would also suit our needs that much more.
He's only 24 himself but like you say he aint English.....

Do Scottish people not count as homegrown.

Gary Cook was able to attract top quality stars. He was able to sell the project and the prospect of making history.
Sadly we have bought no one of real note since he left, just squad players.

LoveCity said:
RandomJ said:

If you can't get the world's best, get the second best or the best of tomorrow. We had our chance to sign Pogba and Verratti, and signed Garcia and Rodwell instead. Barkley is not showing ANY signs lately of being anything close to one of the world's best young players. Right now, if we signed him, my expectations would be him becoming a good player like Milner, not a great player like Silva.

So if we can't outmuscle Real or Chelsea for Pogba or Reus (in the small chance he leaves) or any other of the marquee elite, then try for Koke. Try for Gundogan. Try for De Bruyne. Try for Firmino. Try for Sterling. Try for Depay. Try for Bellarabi. Try for Lacazette. Try for Dybala. Try for Gaya. Young players who are having a REAL impact on their teams in good leagues at young ages, not existing in the shadows. Barkley is having no tangible impact when he should be shining in an average Everton team for us to spend big money on him. Lopes is shining in an average Lille team that has no idea how to attack without him, yet we'd shove him aside to spend god-knows-how-much on Barkley (just because he's been wank this season doesn't necessarily mean Everton will ask for peanuts)?

Good post and agree with every bit of that part, Everton have been the same shite with or without Barkley.

We need some good young impact players not squad players.

Seems strange to sign Barkley to replace Milner when we have an attacking young star of our own in Lopes. For me, we aren't targeting stars, we are going after average players who will end up being sold back to Everton for £5m.

Pogba
Koke
Veratti
De Bruyne

All a similar age, and all have done far more, as well as far more experienced than Barkley.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.