Ross Barkley

People have to realise that there is a premium when it comes to English talent, there always has been and it was made worse by the homegrown quota rules, and it looks set to get even worse with Dyke's proposals.

All this talk over his valuation and that he isn't worth it will dominate this thread until it dies but it's completely irrelevant. With players like Barkley, you're buying the player they COULD become. Then it's up to the coaching and the player himself.

Barkley is one of the most technically gifted midfielders we've produced since Gazza, if not the most. As much as I can't stand the ginger twat, Scholes is probably the best i've seen but he's different to Gazza and Barkley. Barkley is extremely raw, his decision making is poor and he does dribble with his head down. He's at an age where he can learn from the players around him, he isn't the finished article by any stretch and if someone takes the plunge and develops him, they could have a serious player on their hands for the next decade.

One thing for sure, Everton and Martinez is not the place for him to develop his football. A team like Southampton would be better for him for a year or two but it's only the top 6 teams that can afford him.

For £35m, if that's his asking price, if he comes a world class player and runs the midfield for the next 10 years, you can say it's a bargain. The risk is he doesn't develop and you sell him two years later for £5m, but sometimes transfers just don't work out, even for seasoned pro's. It's who wants to take the risk. I think there's a serious player there, so I'm all for it, even at £35m.

kupest said:
England manager Roy Hodgson has hailed Ross Barkley as an "outstanding talent" after the Everton midfielder's impressive cameo against Italy.

The 21-year-old replaced Theo Walcott after 55 minutes in Turin and shone as the Three Lions stretched their unbeaten run to nine matches with a 1-1 draw.

And Hodgson was full of praise for Barkley as well as goalscorer Andros Townsend after their excellent showings off the bench.

"He [Barkley] was fantastic. Both he and Townsend turned the game," he told ITV Sport.

"I thought Barkley in particular was really, really good. Very brave, very courageous. He's prepared to get on the ball all the time, to take people on. He really is an outstanding young talent.

From Goal.

Bet Woy drops him if we buy him :-)

Looks a fabulous prospect to me - would be delighted to upgrade Milner for this lad.

worsleyweb said:
Looks a fabulous prospect to me - would be delighted to upgrade Milner for this lad.

Not sure why you would compare completely different players?

If you wanted a more relevant example,it would be Yaya or Silva - Is he an upgrade on either of those?

IWasHere said:
BigOscar said:
He's not going to find an end product untill he learns to dribble without having his eyes glued to his feet. You can't make a pass if you never even see it

ross-barkley-goal-newcastle-vs-everton.gif
Well done for only reading half the sentence, then posting a gif that nicely shows how he doesn't look up while dribbling.

BigOscar said:
IWasHere said:
BigOscar said:
He's not going to find an end product untill he learns to dribble without having his eyes glued to his feet. You can't make a pass if you never even see it

ross-barkley-goal-newcastle-vs-everton.gif
Well done for only reading half the sentence, then posting a gif that nicely shows how he doesn't look up while dribbling.

Yep, here he had a chance to play a teammate in a better position through, just like last night with Shrek.

markbmcfc said:
People have to realise that there is a premium when it comes to English talent, there always has been and it was made worse by the homegrown quota rules, and it looks set to get even worse with Dyke's proposals.

All this talk over his valuation and that he isn't worth it will dominate this thread until it dies but it's completely irrelevant. With players like Barkley, you're buying the player they COULD become. Then it's up to the coaching and the player himself.

Barkley is one of the most technically gifted midfielders we've produced since Gazza, if not the most. As much as I can't stand the ginger twat, Scholes is probably the best i've seen but he's different to Gazza and Barkley. Barkley is extremely raw, his decision making is poor and he does dribble with his head down. He's at an age where he can learn from the players around him, he isn't the finished article by any stretch and if someone takes the plunge and develops him, they could have a serious player on their hands for the next decade.

One thing for sure, Everton and Martinez is not the place for him to develop his football. A team like Southampton would be better for him for a year or two but it's only the top 6 teams that can afford him.

For £35m, if that's his asking price, if he comes a world class player and runs the midfield for the next 10 years, you can say it's a bargain. The risk is he doesn't develop and you sell him two years later for £5m, but sometimes transfers just don't work out, even for seasoned pro's. It's who wants to take the risk. I think there's a serious player there, so I'm all for it, even at £35m.

Its a pity Mangala isn't afforded the same consideration by some on here

ManCityX said:
mosssideblue said:
ManCityX said:
15 million? Bony was 28 million and Fernandinho was 30 million. Barkley will be a miles better player than both of them. He'll end up going for about £35 million IMO.

No where near worth £35m at this stage in his career.

You just don't understand the market.

£12 million gets you a Fernando. A young English attacking midfielder with his best year ahead of him is worth more than a Bony, Fernandinho, Jovetic or whatever.

£35 million isn't even that much these days when the best players are going for over £50 million.

Di Maria really only had one season at Real where he looked world-class, and his fee was almost £60m. Ozil hasn't exactly been pivotal for Arsenal in the past 18 months either, but most people on here would prefer us to bring in those kinds of players in than invest in a player who will become an asset for a decade.

If we wait for Barkley to consistently perform to his potential, our opportunity will pass and he'll be on the radar of Europe's biggest clubs, as well as the likes of Chelsea and United, who look likely to be competitive again in the next few seasons. We made that mistake with both Bale and Gary Cahill, who we were seemingly interested in but never followed up.

Buying him raw now and allowing him to grow within the club, defining his game to suit our style will be far more beneficial to us than buying a succession of mediocre imports. Last night was an insight into the player he can become. I do like Jordan Henderson for his dynamic qualities and feel he'd be useful to our current team, but the reality is Barkley has the same physical capacity, yet is an infinitely better footballer.

I can see us tabling a bid of around £25m, and if Everton refuse then Barkley himself handing in a transfer request.

.A. said:
ManCityX said:
mosssideblue said:
No where near worth £35m at this stage in his career.

£12 million gets you a Fernando. A young English attacking midfielder with his best year ahead of him is worth more than a Bony, Fernandinho, Jovetic or whatever.

£35 million isn't even that much these days when the best players are going for over £50 million.

Di Maria really only had one season at Real where he looked world-class, and his fee was almost £60m. Ozil hasn't exactly been pivotal for Arsenal in the past 18 months either, but most people on here would prefer us to bring in those kinds of players in than invest in a player who will become an asset for a decade.

If we wait for Barkley to consistently perform to his potential, our opportunity will pass and he'll be on the radar of Europe's biggest clubs, as well as the likes of Chelsea and United, who look likely to be competitive again in the next few seasons. We made that mistake with both Bale and Gary Cahill, who we were seemingly interested in but never followed up.

Buying him raw now and allowing him to grow within the club, defining his game to suit our style will be far more beneficial to us than buying a succession of mediocre imports. Last night was an insight into the player he can become. I do like Jordan Henderson for his dynamic qualities and feel he'd be useful to our current team, but the reality is Barkley has the same physical capacity, yet is an infinitely better footballer.

I can see us tabling a bid of around £25m, and if Everton refuse then Barkley himself handing in a transfer request.

you cant be serious after the dross he served last night

bluechampion7891 said:
.A. said:
ManCityX said:

you cant be serious after the dross he served last night

As a Premier League player he is useful, his performances in the past 18 months have proved that. We get overrun in the midfield area too often, and his performance against us was a prime example. He'd add better balance and defensive contribution, but as I said developing Barkley into the same role would make more sense.

I feel Barkley lacks a bit of subtlety in and around the penalty area, but with space ahead of him to drive into and utilise his powerful shooting with either foot he could maximise his huge potential. One trait of his that is underrated is his ability to keep play ticking over with snappy, short passes; Wilshere and Hughes are the same in that respect. That capacity allowed Barry look so at ease next to Toure, Nasri and Silva.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.