Ross Barkley

Those English players were signed to take us to a certain level, they achieved that but, as with everything in life things evolve and with Pellegrini with the exception of Hart and Milner they are not suited to our style of play. It is always sad to see very good players leave especially Barry Lescott and maybe Milner but time marches on and we should not be too unconcerned they will always receive (i hope) a good reception back at the Eitihad for what they did to get us on our way.

I will concede possible harshness in my assessment of Gareth Barry, but my position remains unmoved on the rest of the aforementioned English players. They were/are all very average/overpriced players and our management agrees with me, which is why they were either shipped out or currently sat on the bench or playing in the reserves.

Bunk said:
RP2 said:
Very unfair that, considering Barry, Milner and Lescott all played a big part in our first title win. They're certainly not 'meh' as you put it, they were fine players, and Milner still is. Johnson was good at times (and didn't cost a great deal), and Rodwell has been unlucky with injuries.

So if you look at it realistically, MOST of our English signings have done us well.

Can't say I agree with you mate.

- If Barry was so good we wouldn't have lent him out to Everton
- If Lescott was so good we wouldn't have replaced him him with an 18 year old the very next season
- If Milner is so good he'd start most games (he doesn't)
- Johnson was certainly crappy every time he got a start
- Rodwell is clearly injury prone and this should be factored into his value

Oh perlease! You clearly don't have an appreciation of the finer points of the game/and or are just unnappreciative of fine servants to this club - fine servants who won us titles and Cups.

Barry was excellent at making tackles and protecting the back four then giving the ball to the more creative players. Most Blues value this fine servant to Manchester City. When he comes back next season you'll hear what a well appreciated player he is..if you haven't got your fingers in your ears or still have you head in the sand.

Lescott was part of the tightest defence in the League - a League title winning defence he was replaced by an even better player, Nastasic, who is a better passer. Both Nastasic and Demichelis are better suited to his tactics of pushing up and nicking the ball. That doesn't mean Lescott doesn't have his merits.

Milner is very good (eg Bayern Munich away, eg Liverpool away, Everton away where he put over and excellent cross for Dzeko to score) etc etc)- it's just that Silva, Nasri and Yaya are even better. Milner shoud start more in my opinion but hey, Pellegrini ain't doing too bad and he crucially wants to keep him.
Johnson crappy every time? Rubbish. He had several good games and chipped in with a few goals.
Rodwell is injury prone - got bags of ability but I suspect he needs to get fit, go on loan and prove he can do it. He may make it here one day.

Bunk said:
I will concede possible harshness in my assessment of Gareth Barry, but my position remains unmoved on the rest of the aforementioned English players. They were/are all very average/overpriced players and our management agrees with me, which is why they were either shipped out or currently sat on the bench or playing in the reserves.
We don't have a reserves side so I'll just presume you're on the wum, although you definitely need to work on it.

Bunk said:

Could Barry going on loan have something to do with being the wrong side of 30. Same for Lescott and the reason he didn't play was Mancini, nothing to do with his ability.

Whilst Lescott was overpriced, I'd say it has more to do with buying off English clubs than buying English players. I can only assume that's due to the relative wealth of all Premier League clubs compared to those on the continent, once you exclude the elite. Rooney or Sturridge would cost a fortune, but so would Suarez or Aguero and the same would be true of players lower down the league, I just can't think of any who'd make our first team!

Zabbasbeard said:
Oh perlease! You clearly don't have an appreciation of the finer points of the game/and or are just unnappreciative of fine servants to this club - fine servants who won us titles and Cups.

Barry was excellent at making tackles and protecting the back four then giving the ball to the more creative players. Most Blues value this fine servant to Manchester City. When he comes back next season you'll hear what a well appreciated player he is..if you haven't got your fingers in your ears or still have you head in the sand.

Lescott was part of the tightest defence in the League - a League title winning defence he was replaced by an even better player, Nastasic, who is a better passer. Both Nastasic and Demichelis are better suited to his tactics of pushing up and nicking the ball. That doesn't mean Lescott doesn't have his merits.

Milner is very good (eg Bayern Munich away, eg Liverpool away, Everton away where he put over and excellent cross for Dzeko to score) etc etc)- it's just that Silva, Nasri and Yaya are even better. Milner shoud start more in my opinion but hey, Pellegrini ain't doing too bad and he crucially wants to keep him.
Johnson crappy every time? Rubbish. He had several good games and chipped in with a few goals.
Rodwell is injury prone - got bags of ability but I suspect he needs to get fit, go on loan and prove he can do it. He may make it here one day.

Excessive verbage.

I refer you to the answer I gave several posts back, that is to say that if these players were as good as you're implying then they would not have been replaced or kept away from the first team by mangement. Your support of the Rodwell signing I find particularly bizarre. Why would you be content to pay £15,000,000 for player who will spend the majority of his contract either out on loan or in the swimming pool with physiotherapists?

Bunk said:
We had no choice to sell Tevez! The guy wanted out!

I know, but my point was he was effective. Was a poor example.

The point is, just because we have sold a player doesn't mean they were meh!

ColinLee said:
Bunk said:
We don't have a reserves side so I'll just presume you're on the wum, although you definitely need to work on it.

It's a figure of speech, I don't literally mean a reserve team, just any player who is outside of the starting 11.

Bunk said:
Zabbasbeard said:

Excessive verbage.

I refer you to the answer I gave several posts back, that is to say that if these players were as good as you're implying then they would not have been replaced or kept away from the first team by mangement. Your support of the Rodwell signing I find particularly bizarre. Why would you be content to pay £15,000,000 for player who will spend the majority of his contract either out on loan or in the swimming pool with physiotherapists?

You seem strangely unaware of the concept of players declining as they age. These things are not done at a single point in time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.