Ross Barkley

Manchester City target Ross Barkley in £25million move - with Jack Rodwell thrown in as bait

EXCLUSIVE: The Premier League champions are weighing up a move for the England youngster in a bid to increase their 'home grown' talent

Manchester City are weighing up a £25million move for Everton’s England ace Ross Barkley using Jack Rodwell as bait.

The champions are interested in attacking midfielder Barkley, 20, who excelled last season.

Barkley proved his pedigree while with England’s World Cup squad, and started the final match of their group against Costa Rica.

City are aware they need to build up the number of ‘home grown’ players after a summer clear-out that will see Gareth Barry, Joleon Lescott, Micah Richards, Scott Sinclair and, possibly, James Milner leave.

City’s unsettled former Everton midfielder Rodwell, 23, is keen to return to Goodison Park after becoming frustrated by a lack of first team opportunities, and that is something Barkley would need to consider.

He played a key role in Everton’s fifth placed finish last season, making 38 appearances in all competitions.

Rodwell has several Premier League clubs eyeing him including also Sunderland and Newcastle and wants a move after only making seven league starts since joining City in August 2012 for £12m.

But Rodwell favours a permanent switch back to his local club Everton where he believes Roberto Martinez can revive his career.

City feel they may tempt Everton into selling prized asset Barkley if they throw Rodwell into the deal.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-city-target-ross-barkley-3812128#ixzz36XZghg00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... z36XZghg00</a>
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

I guess if Negredo and a few of the fringe players were sold a bid would be possible, but it's so hard to see Everton selling him this summer. You never know though, United got Shaw by paying over the odds. And I guess if Everton buy Barry we could also wipe off the £1m/£1.5m/£2m they would owe us too.

My guess is it's an extravagant rumour to sell tomorrow's paper.

sam-caddick said:
Not ready for our level yet and if he came I reckon his development would stall.

He needs a few more years at Everton to become more consistent before making the step up.

Not sure I agree to be honest

Nothing seems to faze this lad and I think he'd relish the challenge, he's certainly a raw talent

sam-caddick said:
Not ready for our level yet and if he came I reckon his development would stall.

He needs a few more years at Everton to become more consistent before making the step up.

great idea, then when he's absolutely ready we pay 100m for him.

he's ready right now.

25M seriously?

None fucking starter and the 25M should tell everyone that this story is a load of bollocks

The final nail is that any fucker would consider sicknote

He is at least going to be £40M plus without sicknote in any deal

We cant afford him move on

If we can get Barkley for a little bit lower then it would be worth taking a gamble. Any higher then it would be ridiculous.

de niro said:
sam-caddick said:

great idea, then when he's absolutely ready we pay 100m for him.

he's ready right now.

He isn't ready, he has a good performance once a month and needs a few more years development.

I would buy him and loan him back to Everton, he will never play ahead of Silva or Nasri.

For 40m I would be looking elsewhere anyway.

Kompany is King said:
Mancitybluemoon1 said:
City Watch ‏@City_Watch 21m
Mirror: City are weighing up a £25m bid for Everton rising star Ross Barkley (20) and could offer Jack Rodwell as part of the deal.

Would Everton really take £25m + Rodwell?

Would they fuck.

Even if Moyes was still at Everton they wouldn't be thick enough to sell Barkley for £25 million plus Rodwell.

dctid said:
25M seriously?

None fucking starter and the 25M should tell everyone that this story is a load of bollocks

The final nail is that any fucker would consider sicknote

He is at least going to be £40M plus without sicknote in any deal

We cant afford him move on

Exactly, I'm amazed people still read transfer gossip in the rag tops, never mind believe it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.