Rugby League Season 2023

I am a nominal Wigan fan, due to Hanley, Edwards and co, plus growing up in south Manchester, there isn’t any decent team anywhere near.

I could never support any Salford team, so it leaves quite a gap for a club to fill geographically.
Similar to me. I watched rugby league as a kid because it was a great sport and in-part because of that great Wigan team from that era.

But being a Mancunian City fan, I could never get on board with the ‘Reds’/‘Red Devils’ thing at Salford (I can see why Salfordians don’t have that problem because it’s their club and their city and they were the original Diables Rouges… but just not for a Mancunian, it’s never sat right with me). And while players like Hanley and Offiah were part of the reason I got into the sport, I couldn’t get on board with Wigan either so had no club other than Great Britain who were my second sporting love after City when I was a kid. I wore this shirt to death for years:

IMG_4627.jpeg

It was only when I got on the rugby team when I was studying my degree at Warrington Collegiate at Padgate Campus (part of the University of Manchester when I was there) and we used to play in Warrington’s old kits from the season before, running out in Wire kits and we calling ourselves ‘Wire’. We were coached by Brian Chambers who was once on the Bradford coaching staff and for many years worked for Warrington. He got me to do my 9-week work placement with Warrington RLFC in my second year and I spent that time coaching the junior teams and in schools and working on matchdays, sometimes as the mascot Wolfie*
…despite not being a Warringtonian, I was a Wire after that.

However, if there was a Manchester rugby league team, I would support them. I’d have followed Manchester Rangers (and people may see me moaning about the disbanding of Manchester on here quite often!) if the RFL weren’t a set of Canuck chasing fantasists. I am bitter about that and think it was a stupid decision by the RFL (who are now housed on the very site Manchester would be playing on) to not grant Manchester a licence to play further up the ladder. Given a good quarter of a century, with the backers Rangers had, Manchester would have become a good rugby league club.

[*I was on the pitch at half time at one game as Wolfie and had to kick a drop goal over the sticks and in the act slipped on my arse in the mud and missed the ball, much to the Fletcher End’s amusement… I blame the size 25 feet of the Wolfie costume!]

Similar to me. I watched rugby league as a kid because it was a great sport and in-part because of that great Wigan team from that era.

But being a Mancunian City fan, I could never get on board with the ‘Reds’/‘Red Devils’ thing at Salford (I can see why Salfordians don’t have that problem because it’s their club and their city and they were the original Diables Rouges… but just not for a Mancunian, it’s never sat right with me). And while players like Hanley and Offiah were part of the reason I got into the sport, I couldn’t get on board with Wigan either so had no club other than Great Britain who were my second sporting love after City when I was a kid. I wore this shirt to death for years:

View attachment 96149

It was only when I got on the rugby team when I was studying my degree at Warrington Collegiate at Padgate Campus (part of the University of Manchester when I was there) and we used to play in Warrington’s old kits from the season before, running out in Wire kits and we calling ourselves ‘Wire’. We were coached by Brian Chambers who was once on the Bradford coaching staff and for many years worked for Warrington. He got me to do my 9-week work placement with Warrington RLFC in my second year and I spent that time coaching the junior teams and in schools and working on matchdays, sometimes as the mascot Wolfie*
…despite not being a Warringtonian, I was a Wire after that.

However, if there was a Manchester rugby league team, I would support them. I’d have followed Manchester Rangers (and people may see me moaning about the disbanding of Manchester on here quite often!) if the RFL weren’t a set of Canuck chasing fantasists. I am bitter about that and think it was a stupid decision by the RFL (who are now housed on the very site Manchester would be playing on) to not grant Manchester a licence to play further up the ladder. Given a good quarter of a century, with the backers Rangers had, Manchester would have become a good rugby league club.

[*I was on the pitch at half time at one game as Wolfie and had to kick a drop goal over the sticks and in the act slipped on my arse in the mud and missed the ball, much to the Fletcher End’s amusement]
Glad you found a home. I went to quite a few Leeds games whilst at uni. Always had a decent night out there without ever becoming a fan.

In fact, I’d sum up my support ad hating St Helens and Bradford more than supporting a club these days!

All said and done the rugby league family is quite something else . In this day and age where politics and shite politicians seek to divide society the rugby league family has held strong and thrived . Long may it continue :)

All said and done the rugby league family is quite something else . In this day and age where politics and shite politicians seek to divide society the rugby league family has held strong and thrived . Long may it continue :)
Wigan fans are still cunts. You've only won a title because Wolff has gone and we've got a second rate shit ex player as coach

Tonga Test Series starts today.

England v Tonga, 14.30 on BBC One.

George Williams is banned for two games. Don’t know where Herbie Farnworth and Dom Young are?

Here’s our 19-man squad:
John Bateman (Wests), Tom Burgess (South Sydney), Daryl Clark (Warrington), Liam Farrell (Wigan), Chris Hill (Huddersfield), Tom Johnstone (Catalans), Toby King (Wigan), Morgan Knowles (St Helens), Matty Lees (St Helens), Mikey Lewis (Hull KR), Tommy Makinson (St Helens), Mike McMeeken (Catalans), Robbie Mulhern (Leigh), Harry Newman (Leeds), Victor Radley (Sydney), Harry Smith (Wigan), Danny Walker (Warrington), Jack Welsby (St Helens), Elliott Whitehead (Canberra).

Tonga:
Latu Fainu (Manly), Addin Fonua-Blake (New Zealand), Moeaki Fotuaika (Gold Coast), Tyson Frizell (Newcastle), Siliva Havili (South Sydney), Will Hopoate, Konrad Hurrell (both St Helens), Isaiya Katoa (Dolphins), Eliesa Katoa (Melbourne), Felise Kaufusi (Dolphins), Keaon Koloamatangi (South Sydney), Tolutau Koula (Manly), Tui Lolohea (Huddersfield), Haumole Olakau'atu (Manly), Will Penisini (Parramatta), Hame Sele (South Sydney), Mosese Suli (St George Illawarra), Tevita Tatola, Dion Teaupa (both South Sydney), Starford Toa (Wests), Daniel Tupou, Siua Wong (both Sydney).

The Kiwis trounced Toa Samoa yesterday, 50-0

It’s Australia v New Zealand next Saturday

Cheers for the heads up, will try and catch that

Edit - can’t see that fixture listed on bbc sport RL page for next Saturday mate, just England’s game and a South Africa game.
You know what channel it’s supposed to be on?
Saturday 28th October

10:10am Sky Sports Arena, Pacific Cup Test Match
10:10am Australia v New Zealand

2:00pm BBC ONE, Test Series - 2nd Test
2:30pm England v Tonga

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.