Rugby World Cup 2023

Starting to get the feeling England are going to sleepwalk into another final. Their side of the draw is terrible, they've won 2 games while being awful so far and they could be playing a battered, fatigued side in the semi.

Just wrote something similar, and it could happen.

I don't think England were awful against Argentina but they certainly were lacking in attack yet again last night. Handling errors and failure to make the most of good territory - a familiar story. At least we don't have Eddie Jones anymore, it was a pleasure to watch him plotting an Australian defeat instead. I'm not sure what is going on with the attack. I get the merit in a kicking game, particularly when it's hot and handling errors are so frequent, but you have to run the ball a bit and we looked completely bereft of ideas for the majority of the game. Ford didn't seem to have any idea what to do with ball in hand. The running was flat and no one was committing their defender before offloading - which is basics. Smith came on and instantly looked to run some different lines/angles and made things happen. They also didn't use Tuilagi as a battering ram enough. But early days and a chance to improve that side of things in the coming games to peak towards the final.

Ireland get a couple of weeks off between SA and Scotland but mentally/physically to go through those two games then NZ/France and then a semi against the weaker side...it could take its toll. Having said that, Group A and B are just on a complete different level. It's fine being fresh but the sides in Groups C and D are a million miles off being able to compete still.

A little part of me can just see Wales and/or England finding a performance that causes a shock though. And it's more likely to be England simply because plenty of that squad have made the final before.

England rugby should do everything they can to get Andy Farrell in the top job in English Rugby look what he has done with the Ireland team. They can attack from many situations and look like they have more than 1 game plan. The RFU fucked up by going for Eddie Jones when they should of went all out to get Andy Farrell out of the Irish system. He would work wonders with those English players.

As for Ireland and SA it's the injuries and trying to keep players fit. Our fly half Sexton if he is out with a injury our back ups are nowhere near his level.
The pack I feel confident in them our options at flanker and second row and 8 most teams would love it.
Our centres Bundee Burger Aki is just bang on form and I'd undropable and unstoppable the options there are so good too and the wings when they get ball to hand can score.
The side of the draw is hard but I have been saying for years about this Ireland team how good they can be and if we are ever going to Win a World Cup this is probably our best chance. 1 game at a time rather we had Scotland and SA in our first game than 2 back to back tough games to play leading into a Quarter final with France or New Zealand.

England rugby should do everything they can to get Andy Farrell in the top job in English Rugby
Shhh.

Don't think it's solely down to Farrell though, there's issues for them at the minute right down to club level, Ireland’s provincial system has everyone pulling in the same direction.
Things can change quickly though, go back a decade and the positions look reversed.

Just wrote something similar, and it could happen.

I don't think England were awful against Argentina but they certainly were lacking in attack yet again last night. Handling errors and failure to make the most of good territory - a familiar story. At least we don't have Eddie Jones anymore, it was a pleasure to watch him plotting an Australian defeat instead. I'm not sure what is going on with the attack. I get the merit in a kicking game, particularly when it's hot and handling errors are so frequent, but you have to run the ball a bit and we looked completely bereft of ideas for the majority of the game. Ford didn't seem to have any idea what to do with ball in hand. The running was flat and no one was committing their defender before offloading - which is basics. Smith came on and instantly looked to run some different lines/angles and made things happen. They also didn't use Tuilagi as a battering ram enough. But early days and a chance to improve that side of things in the coming games to peak towards the final.

Ireland get a couple of weeks off between SA and Scotland but mentally/physically to go through those two games then NZ/France and then a semi against the weaker side...it could take its toll. Having said that, Group A and B are just on a complete different level. It's fine being fresh but the sides in Groups C and D are a million miles off being able to compete still.

A little part of me can just see Wales and/or England finding a performance that causes a shock though. And it's more likely to be England simply because plenty of that squad have made the final before.
Bit of a lack of collective identity in the England team alright, although your pack is functioning well and that will win you the more straightforward games (although Japan really did throw away a lot of good positions in the first 60 minutes).

I reckon Fiji with a Crouchy / John Eels type forward would be serious contenders for the trophy. They are doing very well for a team that is woeful at the lineout
I assume lineouts are pre-rehearsed and have numbers to define which one the team is going to execute.

If that is the case, why are so many lost? They must be too predictable?

If you have a hooker that can throw a ball accurately, surely you should win the vast majority?

England rugby should do everything they can to get Andy Farrell in the top job in English Rugby look what he has done with the Ireland team. They can attack from many situations and look like they have more than 1 game plan. The RFU fucked up by going for Eddie Jones when they should of went all out to get Andy Farrell out of the Irish system. He would work wonders with those English players.

As for Ireland and SA it's the injuries and trying to keep players fit. Our fly half Sexton if he is out with a injury our back ups are nowhere near his level.
The pack I feel confident in them our options at flanker and second row and 8 most teams would love it.
Our centres Bundee Burger Aki is just bang on form and I'd undropable and unstoppable the options there are so good too and the wings when they get ball to hand can score.
The side of the draw is hard but I have been saying for years about this Ireland team how good they can be and if we are ever going to Win a World Cup this is probably our best chance. 1 game at a time rather we had Scotland and SA in our first game than 2 back to back tough games to play leading into a Quarter final with France or New Zealand.

The RFU did a wonderful job letting Eddie Jones sack Farrell from the England coaching staff. Now they sit there and see him smashing it with Ireland (not just down to him) and Jones meanwhile is continuing his destruction, this time with Australia. Slightly different circumstances but similar to us losing Shaun Edwards to Wales when he took a coaching role with Gatland rather than taking over the England Saxons. We should have given him a more senior coaching role with the first team. Edwards has been a critical part of France's subsequent success as well.

Sinfield is a good appointment in my opinion but hopefully the RFU make sure we don't lose our best coaches to foreign sides in the future. I don't see why Farrell would take the England job though, maybe if he's won the world cup he will fancy a return.

I assume lineouts are pre-rehearsed and have numbers to define which one the team is going to execute.

If you have a hooker that can throw a ball accurately, surely you should win the vast majority?

The last sentence is a major reason Fiji struggle!

True mate. I can't understand why Fiji don't occasionally go for the ball over the top to run on to the ball. Given that powerful running seems their main strength.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.