Rugby World Cup 2023

As much as I hate playing Wales, I don't see them beating this Ireland team at this point in time if that match up happens.
Don't overrate that Wales result last night. They were OK and Australia were absolutely terrible, as they have been in all 3 games, they don't deserve to be called a tier 1 side based on their performances at this WC.

In a one-off game I'd back Ireland to beat everyone! But you have quite a run of games leading up to semi final stage and if you do play Wales, they'll potentially be a lot fresher so you never know.

Before the tournament started I felt like one of the Pool C or D teams would get to the final and cause a shock in the semis just on the basis the levels are so much lower so they should have that extra bit of energy to make up for the reduced quality. Both England and Wales are basically finding that lost form through this group stage. I'm not sure either have enough. And I really can't see England beating France or SA if we play them so "that feeling" is probably bollocks!

In a one-off game I'd back Ireland to beat everyone! But you have quite a run of games leading up to semi final stage and if you do play Wales, they'll potentially be a lot fresher so you never know.

Before the tournament started I felt like one of the Pool C or D teams would get to the final and cause a shock in the semis just on the basis the levels are so much lower so they should have that extra bit of energy to make up for the reduced quality. Both England and Wales are basically finding that lost form through this group stage. I'm not sure either have enough. And I really can't see England beating France or SA if we play them so "that feeling" is probably bollocks!
It could happen. I've posted before that England could well sleepwalk into another final if their forwards and Ford keep doing the business, even though their backs and their entire passing game are nonexistent.

We've our mini break now and we've used the squad well. I think 3 wins of 3 with no injuries, Sheehan and Sexton back up to speed and most of the squad seeing minutes was the dream scenario by this point before the tournament. NZ are the least physically daunting of the top 4 sides so if we get and beat them in the quarters we should be OK for the semi final. Touch wood.

SA could be the ones hit by fatigue, they were blowing out their arses by halftime when really asked questions physically by Ireland and again by the final whistle, they've not rotated to the same extent, particularly in the backline and they've a few niggles in the squad and potentially a suspension for a stamp on VDF at the weekend apparently. Not the youngest squad either.
All the questions we asked them France will ask them but harder, although they've a weekend off before that hypothetical match. But I could see them beating France but having nothing left for the semi.

Frances pack is a good pack they will see how Ireland coped with SA and will kick on and will put the foot down when needed. 2 great back lines but France for me have the better options off the bench in the back line. I honestly think France wins comfortable against SA.
I just think this world cup time the teams from the Southern Hemisphere may well not to be at the standard of the teams from the 6 nations. I have never seen a Aussie team so bad. Argentina look lost. The All Blacks the bigger teams in France and Ireland seem to have there number while SA just love there bomb squad too much where I think they will need to change or revert back to at least 6-2 bench in future games more options.

Frances pack is a good pack they will see how Ireland coped with SA and will kick on and will put the foot down when needed. 2 great back lines but France for me have the better options off the bench in the back line. I honestly think France wins comfortable against SA.
I just think this world cup time the teams from the Southern Hemisphere may well not to be at the standard of the teams from the 6 nations. I have never seen a Aussie team so bad. Argentina look lost. The All Blacks the bigger teams in France and Ireland seem to have there number while SA just love there bomb squad too much where I think they will need to change or revert back to at least 6-2 bench in future games more options.
They'll certainly go back to 6-2, they don't have enough forwards in the 33 to do otherwise and they'll want Pollard off the bench for a scrappy tight match.

France not having DuPont will make a big difference. I don't know offhand if Ntamack is in the squad/due to be fit - taking out their 9 and 10 will not help them.

pretty much agree with the rest.

It could happen. I've posted before that England could well sleepwalk into another final if their forwards and Ford keep doing the business, even though their backs and their entire passing game are nonexistent.

We've our mini break now and we've used the squad well. I think 3 wins of 3 with no injuries, Sheehan and Sexton back up to speed and most of the squad seeing minutes was the dream scenario by this point before the tournament. NZ are the least physically daunting of the top 4 sides so if we get and beat them in the quarters we should be OK for the semi final. Touch wood.

SA could be the ones hit by fatigue, they were blowing out their arses by halftime when really asked questions physically by Ireland and again by the final whistle, they've not rotated to the same extent, particularly in the backline and they've a few niggles in the squad and potentially a suspension for a stamp on VDF at the weekend apparently. Not the youngest squad either.
All the questions we asked them France will ask them but harder, although they've a weekend off before that hypothetical match. But I could see them beating France but having nothing left for the semi.

Yeah all very true. You absolutely took it to SA and not many can match their power, especially with their replacement strategy but you did. We will see, looking forward to the knockouts, some excellent QFs to come, although let's be honest two of them should be the semi finals really!

As for your opening para, I'm sure we're going to see the Ford-Farrell combination again moving forwards so we'll see. Smith and Arundell offer a threat off the bench if needed but it will be substance over style. I wouldn't personally have Farrell in the team but the coaches seem to love him!

France not having DuPont will make a big difference. I don't know offhand if Ntamack is in the squad/due to be fit - taking out their 9 and 10 will not help them.

pretty much agree with the rest.

Ntamack will miss the whole thing with his ACL injury. Dupont will be back for the QFs they reckon, wearing a mask. Strange to keep him on for so long, but these things can happen in training too so just one of those things.

We have big competition here too when it comes to sport. Rugby Union here, I would say, is third behind GAA and football. Football is so badly run and is shown up by how well rugby is organised.
Rugby was always considered the posh school sport over here when I was growing up and I often think, what the hell could we produce if we had half the numbers that play Gaelic football, being involved in rugby. Really robust, fabulous, athletes.

If we do really well here in this tournament, who knows what it will do for the sport in this country.

Eddie Jones is at the top of the tree in the coaching of the national team as is but the coaching throughout the whole country is being firmly blamed in the studio here. Matt saying that the setup in Australia and Ireland is exactly the same, schools leading into the provinces into the national team but the big difference is the standard of education throughout.

What do I know? I never went to a posh school. I went to a Christian Bros. School that wouldn’t entertain anything other than Gaelic games and athletics. And we were banned from playing hurling until our year had passed through due to the violence involved while playing a near neighbouring school.

But the rugby schools are doing something right.
Another great asset Rugby has in uniting people here behind it is the fact that truly is an all of Ireland international event.

I tell you if Ireland did go all the way, Andy Farrell would be beatified like Jack was for just getting us to a quarter final.
The school system for Rugby in Ireland is brilliant. It was only a couple of years back i was standing on the side of the pitch watching Tom O'Toole play every week for my sons school...hes now there at the World Cup. Similarly watching his school play those with James Hume, Michael Lowry, Nathan Doak, Aaron Sexton etc...all Ulster Players now...the first two often playing for Ireland too.

Theres a clear career pathway for those lads who want it.

FYI, Tom OToole was born here but had moved to Australia...the Irish Rugby diaspora system identified him at 15/16/17, brought him back to Belfast...he was put into my lads school and an Ulster contract lined up for him...he did his A Levels, so got his education and was able to focus on his rugby at a high achieving rugby school. He's just one example...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.