Rugby World Cup 2023

Yeah all very true. You absolutely took it to SA and not many can match their power, especially with their replacement strategy but you did. We will see, looking forward to the knockouts, some excellent QFs to come, although let's be honest two of them should be the semi finals really!

As for your opening para, I'm sure we're going to see the Ford-Farrell combination again moving forwards so we'll see. Smith and Arundell offer a threat off the bench if needed but it will be substance over style. I wouldn't personally have Farrell in the team but the coaches seem to love him!

Arundell walking over the line from 5 yards against Chile isn't much of a guide! ITV went way over the top of course, but there won't be that space against the better sides.
I assume it will be back to hoof the ball for Steward as well.

Ntamack will miss the whole thing with his ACL injury. Dupont will be back for the QFs they reckon, wearing a mask. Strange to keep him on for so long, but these things can happen in training too so just one of those things.

thanks - i'd forgotten what the injury was.

Arundell walking over the line from 5 yards against Chile isn't much of a guide! ITV went way over the top of course, but there won't be that space against the better sides.
I assume it will be back to hoof the ball for Steward as well.

It's not, but he's got something our usual backline doesn't and that's pace! We've struggled for tries simply because of the lack of pace in our backs, which means they can't expose the defence. Arundell is able to convert chances because he's so quick, but I'd imagine he's a weapon for late on because we will kick the majority of the time. Smith has that ability to run an alternative line, thrown a dummy and create space around him, but he too will be on the bench.

Borthwick has a style of play and he'll stick to it, and I don't blame him. He's had success with it and it's probably better to prioritise a low-risk rugby for a tournament and add the flair later.

There was a real lack of direction from Jones. He's taken that with him to Australia now thankfully.

It's not, but he's got something our usual backline doesn't and that's pace! We've struggled for tries simply because of the lack of pace in our backs, which means they can't expose the defence. Arundell is able to convert chances because he's so quick, but I'd imagine he's a weapon for late on because we will kick the majority of the time. Smith has that ability to run an alternative line, thrown a dummy and create space around him, but he too will be on the bench.

Borthwick has a style of play and he'll stick to it, and I don't blame him. He's had success with it and it's probably better to prioritise a low-risk rugby for a tournament and add the flair later.

There was a real lack of direction from Jones. He's taken that with him to Australia now thankfully.

he does - it's almost as though he's actually a winger and not a centre/fullback picked for being tall.

Is Arundell likely to be on the bench though? Presumably with the idea that someone like Daly moves position to let Arundell play on the wing? Smith has the same problem - if Steward isn't on the pitch, defensively I'd expect Daly to move to catch kicks. I can't see Smith coming on for Ford/Farrell unless one's having a shocker.

If it's a 5-3 split, that's a scrumhalf and two others. Not sure it would be Smith AND Arundell.

Yeah all very true. You absolutely took it to SA and not many can match their power, especially with their replacement strategy but you did. We will see, looking forward to the knockouts, some excellent QFs to come, although let's be honest two of them should be the semi finals really!

As for your opening para, I'm sure we're going to see the Ford-Farrell combination again moving forwards so we'll see. Smith and Arundell offer a threat off the bench if needed but it will be substance over style. I wouldn't personally have Farrell in the team but the coaches seem to love him!
I honestly don't see what Farrell brings to the table at this stage in the half back positions that you don't already have, plus he's a walking red card and fairly obviously being watched closely by the officials, I wouldn't bring him in tbh if I was coach. Maybe as a centre but who do you drop.

Speaking of pace, Libbok, Kolbe and Arense teaming up in the SA team is fucking frightening, think France will seriously struggle with those 3 if they face off in the quarter finals, France aren't as strong in defence as Ireland, especially out wide and they gave us kittens when South Africa were on top.

Would love Ireland to have a couple of options like that. We don't really have anyone with that combo of pace, strength and agility along with a rugby brain to put it all together.

Springboks indeed.

I honestly don't see what Farrell brings to the table at this stage in the half back positions that you don't already have, plus he's a walking red card and fairly obviously being watched closely by the officials, I wouldn't bring him in tbh if I was coach. Maybe as a centre but who do you drop.

I know he has just come back in, although that's self-inflicted but with the way Ford has played and controlled the games I don't know why he'd bother with Farrell either. He'll play him at centre with Tuilagi I'd imagine and Marchant will make way.

Speaking of pace, Libbok, Kolbe and Arense teaming up in the SA team is fucking frightening, think France will seriously struggle with those 3 if they face off in the quarter finals, France aren't as strong in defence as Ireland, especially out wide and they gave us kittens when South Africa were on top.

Would love Ireland to have a couple of options like that. We don't really have anyone with that combo of pace, strength and agility along with a rugby brain to put it all together.

Springboks indeed.
You have some really fine players in the backs but as you say, none have searing pace.
In fairness, i think that suits Irelands gameplan, you havent got the speed merchant wingers who will outrun their support at times but you do have very good players who are also very strong defensively & who constantly recycle the ball.

As most of you know I've always been on the Rugby threads and can give and take the banter over the years
Can I just say I hate that short arsed Aussie twat Eddie fucking Jones and over the moon my dragons smashed the buggers.
Hope one of the six nations teams wins it and Leightons mob are in the box seat, big Faz has them purring. Faz one of the best rugby league players I've had the pleasure to see play.
Faz is a BLUE seen him loads of times at City.

As most of you know I've always been on the Rugby threads and can give and take the banter over the years
Can I just say I hate that short arsed Aussie twat Eddie fucking Jones and over the moon my dragons smashed the buggers.
Hope one of the six nations teams wins it and Leightons mob are in the box seat, big Faz has them purring. Faz one of the best rugby league players I've had the pleasure to see play.
Faz is a BLUE seen him loads of times at City.
Whisper it but i can see a hugely limited England side getting to the final.
IF and its a big IF, we (Wales) get to the semi final, i would rather play NZ than Ireland, in any other year, in the entire history of rugby, id need locking up for saying that ha

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.