Running thread

Park run on saturday, dropped 24 secs from last weeks time so down to 21.05

My splits were 3:58, 4:02 and then after the hill I fell away to circa 4:20s with the last 1.5 being torturous.

Defo helped doing a longer run in the middle of the week (12k). Will keep an eye on my diet this week a couple more runs, swim and hopefully break 21 minutes this weekend.

Any decent, fast park runs in Greater Manchester as hoping to do one on the 28th?
Don't do Sale. It's flat, but a lot of it is on uneven stone path. I imagine many twisted ankles have happened here.

Warrington is flat and the grassy areas drain well, but you have to make sure you don't get caught up in the crowd on the first corner.

The only other one I've done is Wythenshawe, which I ran yesterday. This is very flat and the paths are good and mostly wide. There are two grassy areas which are slightly slower, but it should be possible to challenge your PBs here.

Any Great North Runners this morning? I sadly had to defer my place this week after being struck down with tonsillitis. Still, it means I've got something to aim for, for next year. Went out and gently jogged a half marathon around the local villages to make up for missing it.

Apart from a very small, local 10k in a couple of weeks, the running season is now over for me. It's been very successful, with a marathon PB in London followed by two half marathon PBs. I'm now excited to kick-start my winter training with the aim of getting big, big PBs in every distance (marathon, half and 10k) in the spring.

Do you guys have any training plans or aims for over the next few months? I'm considering the Manchester Marathon if I don't get in to London.

Last edited:
Don't do Sale. It's flat, but a lot of it is on uneven stone path. I imagine many twisted ankles have happened here.

Warrington is flat and the grassy areas drain well, but you have to make sure you don't get caught up in the crowd on the first corner.

The only other one I've done is Wythenshawe, which I ran yesterday. This is very flat and the paths are good and mostly wide. There are two grassy areas which are slightly slower, but it should be possible to challenge your PBs here.

Thanks for the info. The one I am running now is pretty flat and fast but with 2.5 laps there are 2 hills which really sap the legs. Sale sounds a real no no, not got the greatest running style and so I have historically gone over quite a lot on my ankles.

I'm too old (58) for serious running. Park runs and the odd 10k is where I'm at, with anything between 5k and 12k for my training runs, of which I try to do five each week. It keeps me fit, which is the main thing.
How old is too old?

I'm 52 and ran my last race, the London marathon, 5 years ago, for which I qualified with good for age time at Manchester marathon. Since then, typically 15 mile a week trail running and 50 mile a week cycling for fun. Just wondered if there is another marathon in me?

I'm too old (58) for serious running. Park runs and the odd 10k is where I'm at, with anything between 5k and 12k for my training runs, of which I try to do five each week. It keeps me fit, which is the main thing.

Nothing wrong with those distances at all. I have run from 5k to 20k in races and trained to 20/22 miles and going all in on a 5k is just as torturous.

Shorter distances suit me now although I will probably make an effort for Wilmslow half next year. Too much football and badminton has played havoc with the knees

Just had an email through saying I can get a Manchester Marathon today got a couple a questions though...

We are due to play Liverpool that weekend will the game be on the Saturday or do they have them on the same time?

Is it possible to do it without doing a half marathon or is it just hard work from here?
Train seriously and follow a proper training plan. The long slow steady runs are key. Don't run too fast. Let the run come to you. Porridge and water only. No gels or sugar. Train your muscles to burn glycogen slowly......

Nuts and milk post run to recover. Forget the sports drinks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.