Running thread

Training for the Manchester half-marathon for Kidney Care UK (had a transplant myself), usually have no issues nailing 10 miles, and I last did a HM in February but the heat really did me on Friday on my latest attempt. I got to 5 miles and had to stop and ending up getting 7 out in the end, will attempt again next week when it's hopefully cooler, but I felt a bit ill the day after if I'm honest.

Anyone got any tips for the long distance stuff in the heat?
Top tip is to go very early before it gets really hot. Also, take on water - but then, increased water consumption brings with it the need for electrolytes as well.

Hi All,

Having just been given a Strava subscription and keen to extend my running network is there a group that I can search and join to see what runs you are all doing. I live over in Wilmslow and tend to run out around Alderley and Wilmslow but last night ran down the Mersey which made a pleasant change as my son was training at Burnage Rugby club. Thanks. Rich.

Hi All,

Having just been given a Strava subscription and keen to extend my running network is there a group that I can search and join to see what runs you are all doing. I live over in Wilmslow and tend to run out around Alderley and Wilmslow but last night ran down the Mersey which made a pleasant change as my son was training at Burnage Rugby club. Thanks. Rich.
Hi Rich, search for bluemoon run club on strava, a few of us off here are in it

Anyone else finding it tough to run at the moment?

On Sunday, I tried a short run at 8pm in the evening. I ended up running around 3km and walking the same distance. On Monday, I'd had plenty to drink during the day, but when I tried another evening run, I could feel the liquids sloshing around inside, and again, I only managed around 3km of running and the same distance walking.

Saturday was slightly better. I covered 9km, with the occasional walk to take on fluids. Last night was much better though. I went out at 6pm, did a proper warm up for 10 minutes, then 10km without any stops. I'd only eaten a sandwich at 1pm. Despite the heat, yesterday's run felt really good.

I'm in Keswick next week, and the weather forecast isn't too good. I don't think I'll be complaining about running in a little bit of rain though!
No, I haven't found it tough to run at the moment........because I've not been running for about a week.

Instead, I've cycled about 85 miles in the last 5 days with over 6000 feet of climbing according to strava. I struggled a bit with the heat on Saturday but been OK since. Maybe getting a bit acclimatised to it as it seems you might have with going better yesterday. I still over heat a bit on the climbs but cool down on the refreshing descents.

Maybe just persevere or try a cycle instead until weather cools down again?

Training for the Manchester half-marathon for Kidney Care UK (had a transplant myself), usually have no issues nailing 10 miles, and I last did a HM in February but the heat really did me on Friday on my latest attempt. I got to 5 miles and had to stop and ending up getting 7 out in the end, will attempt again next week when it's hopefully cooler, but I felt a bit ill the day after if I'm honest.

Anyone got any tips for the long distance stuff in the heat?
Cycling instead? May not be ideal if training for an event in the near future. But its a great alternative and cross training can be beneficial as a long term strategy. In my long gone racing days it was more running and less cycling in winter and the opposite way round in summer. Weather dependent.

Anyone else finding it tough to run at the moment?

On Sunday, I tried a short run at 8pm in the evening. I ended up running around 3km and walking the same distance. On Monday, I'd had plenty to drink during the day, but when I tried another evening run, I could feel the liquids sloshing around inside, and again, I only managed around 3km of running and the same distance walking.

Saturday was slightly better. I covered 9km, with the occasional walk to take on fluids. Last night was much better though. I went out at 6pm, did a proper warm up for 10 minutes, then 10km without any stops. I'd only eaten a sandwich at 1pm. Despite the heat, yesterday's run felt really good.

I'm in Keswick next week, and the weather forecast isn't too good. I don't think I'll be complaining about running in a little bit of rain though!
Honestly, not really.

I try to do anywhere between 8-12km per day and I never, ever take a drink with me. This hot spell has affected my pace but only ever so slightly, adding about 15-30 seconds per mile. I absolutely love sweating half my body weight on days like this.

Honestly, not really.

I try to do anywhere between 8-12km per day and I never, ever take a drink with me. This hot spell has affected my pace but only ever so slightly, adding about 15-30 seconds per mile. I absolutely love sweating half my body weight on days like this.
To add to that, some of my hot day runs have actually been bloody good, did a 10k in 7min 12sec per mile pace, which is excellent for me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.