Running thread

My running week has seemed a little easier, probably because the weather has cooled down slightly. I did the Warrington Parkrun yesterday, and my long run today.

It was 20km, and I was a little gutted to get home and discover my long run should have been 22.5km. No matter though, it was fairly comfortable, and there's plenty left in the tank. I started it in drizzle, so wore my Karrimore waterproof jacket (which should be renamed the Karrimore jacket). It soon turned to a steady rain fall, but this was quite refreshing, and much nicer than last weeks heat. I covered about 1km of the Manchester Marathon route - along Park Road in Timperley.

I've a problem coming up though. We're away in Cornwall next Sunday for a few days, and I'm not sure about the running while I'm there. Next week's long run is the big one - 32km. I'll try and get that out of the way on Saturday.

Just four weeks to go now. Its getting close!

My running week has seemed a little easier, probably because the weather has cooled down slightly. I did the Warrington Parkrun yesterday, and my long run today.

It was 20km, and I was a little gutted to get home and discover my long run should have been 22.5km. No matter though, it was fairly comfortable, and there's plenty left in the tank. I started it in drizzle, so wore my Karrimore waterproof jacket (which should be renamed the Karrimore jacket). It soon turned to a steady rain fall, but this was quite refreshing, and much nicer than last weeks heat. I covered about 1km of the Manchester Marathon route - along Park Road in Timperley.

I've a problem coming up though. We're away in Cornwall next Sunday for a few days, and I'm not sure about the running while I'm there. Next week's long run is the big one - 32km. I'll try and get that out of the way on Saturday.

Don't know why we are suddenly talking in km instead of miles. But never mind. And as for wearing water proof...well the mind boggles...but if it suits you...

The big one next week is key. Think of it as a trail run for the marathon, water gels etc, with decent prep before. It might be more interesting running in Cornwall so no problem there.

Don't know why we are suddenly talking in km instead of miles. But never mind. And as for wearing water proof...well the mind boggles...but if it suits you...

The big one next week is key. Think of it as a trail run for the marathon, water gels etc, with decent prep before. It might be more interesting running in Cornwall so no problem there.
I'm not a big fan of running in the rain, hence the jacket. It made no difference though - in fact if anything, it was a hindrance, with the wet fabric sticking to my arms, and my shirt just as wet was if I hadn't worn the jacket. I'll not wear it again.

Yeah, I'll prepare well for next Saturday's run, with plenty of gels and water breaks on the route. If I can manage that comfortably, it will boost my confidence for 10 October, and the Cornwall runs will not matter so much.

Brighton Marathon

felt fine till about 18/19 miles , then got pain in knee and stomach cramps - really went through Hell to finish it.

only signed up for Marathon a month ago- so felt less prepared this time round, and had some heavy drinking weekends.

still, 4:52 and the best beer and kebab after I’ve ever had.

thanks to those that donated.

I've got a half marathon on 3rd October which I booked when I was running consistently (pre-Euro's). Got far too drunk and fat over summer and have lost any pace I did have. Was targeting a sub 1hr45 but now just finishing it will be a challenge! 5 miles is as far as I've gone so far. Been playing football again which led to a back injury which means I haven't run for a week and got a baby due any day now!

Going to be good fun. Good luck to all doing the marathon that day though, I'll be glad it's just a half!

I find Karrimor since Ashley bought them have gone really crap in terms of quality. I have 2 Ashmei running jackets, a soft shell for cold and a rain one, they are expensive but breathable and I don’t have the issue with wet arms unless is really heavy. If you have the cash I recommend them or Gore

I'm not a big fan of running in the rain, hence the jacket. It made no difference though - in fact if anything, it was a hindrance, with the wet fabric sticking to my arms, and my shirt just as wet was if I hadn't worn the jacket. I'll not wear it again.

Yeah, I'll prepare well for next Saturday's run, with plenty of gels and water breaks on the route. If I can manage that comfortably, it will boost my confidence for 10 October, and the Cornwall runs will not matter so much.
Sorry, I was being a bit flippant about the rain jacket. It's rarely needed, especially in summer. But depends on temperature and distance/pace I suppose. Could be a good idea for a long run on a cold wet day in winter.

Hit a bit of a low point on the Marathon training. Last week I covered a lot of miles in the car, probably not had as much time to stretch, do resistance band work and so I seem to be picking up a few niggles. Going out shortly to do a nice slow, easy run and hope I feel ok.

Last edited:
Hit a bit of a low point on the Marathon training. Last week I have covered a lot of miles in the car, probably not had as much time to stretch, do resistance band work and so I seem to be picking up a few niggles. Going out shortly to do a nice slow, easy run and hope I feel ok.
You will do, resist the temptation to speed up when you feel in your flow unless you get towards the end and still feel the same way. Conserve

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.