Running thread

To be honest I think there's lots of great advice that can be taken from this thread when it comes to running, but when it comes to your health its much better to go see a doctor, the HR's you tell us do sound a touch high but that could be down to lots of things, watch on the blink/your size/being chased by a pack of wolves etc etc, if you ask me your first point of call should be the docs before doing another run, better safe than sorry when it comes to this kind of thing.

Cheers mate, think I'll take that advice on board here, scared the shit out of me when I thought I was doing ok.

Reactions: ob
That's some going, and heart rate clearly much much better than mine. It's weird though, im doing a 10k in roughly the 50-53 minute mark which I'm happy enough with. Feel tired and find the hills difficult but then so would most people I assume so just can't fathom the high heart rate being so high compared to what it's probably supposed to be...maybe a call to the docs in order. If it wasn't for the watch I'd never have known there's an issue.

I wouldn't read too much into it mate. Last Park Run I did I had an average HR in the 180s and that's with a chest strap on (so more accurate). Admittedly I had done sprints the day before and my legs were feeling sore and I was rather fatigued so my resting heart rate would have been higher than usual anyway. I can sustain 170bpm relatively easily on longer runs. Most of my friends can't do this (even the ones that are a bit quicker than me). I do have a fair bit more muscle mass than them though and just think there isn't a one size that fits all. If you feel alright in yourself I'd go off that rather than obsess about heart rates- unless you are doing heart rate training of course.

Cheers mate, think I'll take that advice on board here, scared the shit out of me when I thought I was doing ok.
You more than likely are doing OK mate, lots of folk don't even bother with HR data when it comes to running as garmin's etc can be wildly inaccurate.
feel free to call me all the names under the sun if the doc gives you a lollipop and tells you there's nowt wrong, I hope you do!! Just think the wise idea would be to get it checked out, there's more important things in life than running*

*not many mind, city, beer and maybe the Mrs and kids twice a year

Brill and reassuring @Edghill OG . That sounds about right, usually run myself but on running with mates I can hold very short conversations even if not all the way round. The HR seems to be constant in the "zone 5" area rather than fluctuating as if there's an issue with the rhythm if you know what I mean.

Haha @gaz76 , you've summed up my life quite well there actually =)

Brill and reassuring @Edghill OG . That sounds about right, usually run myself but on running with mates I can hold very short conversations even if not all the way round. The HR seems to be constant in the "zone 5" area rather than fluctuating as if there's an issue with the rhythm if you know what I mean.

Haha @gaz76 , you've summed up my life quite well there actually =)

I've started doing a lot more heart rate training. I've just got in from a 4 and a bit miler plodding around at just under 10 minute miles and with an average heart rate of 145 (as soon as it hits 150bpm I back off). When going up hills sometimes you can almost slow down to a walk. For context my heart rate is 180bpm on a Park Run and I'm disappointed if it is over 7 minute flat miles.

I used to be one of those that almost aimed for a PB every single time I went out but you end up getting fatigued and picking up the odd injury. I've read 80% of your runs should be at an easier pace. At first I found it difficult to adjust to and a bit boring but now I can chill out and enjoy the sunset and listen to a bit of Motown. It's also better for my mental health as I feel I can go out running pretty much every day and that gives me a weird sense of achievement.

If you haven't got a heart rate monitor I'd advise you to get one. You can pick up a generic one for about £20-30. Once you've worn it a fair bit your Garmin will more accurately define your heart rate zones. If you have a compatible Garmin watch it'll also provide 'Suggested Runs' which can mix things up a bit instead of doing the same run all the time too. These 'Suggested Runs' you can opt to go off pace or heart rate. I choose heart rate as it isn't always flat near me and the wind on the promenade can be horrific which in turn increases heart rate and slows pace.

I've started doing a lot more heart rate training. I've just got in from a 4 and a bit miler plodding around at just under 10 minute miles and with an average heart rate of 145 (as soon as it hits 150bpm I back off). When going up hills sometimes you can almost slow down to a walk. For context my heart rate is 180bpm on a Park Run and I'm disappointed if it is over 7 minute flat miles.

I used to be one of those that almost aimed for a PB every single time I went out but you end up getting fatigued and picking up the odd injury. I've read 80% of your runs should be at an easier pace. At first I found it difficult to adjust to and a bit boring but now I can chill out and enjoy the sunset and listen to a bit of Motown. It's also better for my mental health as I feel I can go out running pretty much every day and that gives me a weird sense of achievement.

If you haven't got a heart rate monitor I'd advise you to get one. You can pick up a generic one for about £20-30. Once you've worn it a fair bit your Garmin will more accurately define your heart rate zones. If you have a compatible Garmin watch it'll also provide 'Suggested Runs' which can mix things up a bit instead of doing the same run all the time too. These 'Suggested Runs' you can opt to go off pace or heart rate. I choose heart rate as it isn't always flat near me and the wind on the promenade can be horrific which in turn increases heart rate and slows pace.

Again thanks for advice, it is really appreciated. It's actually enlightening to read the stuff about the heart rate and lighter runs, someone who's not dead invested in it like me just goes out and runs as fast as I can each time. I guess I'm of the opinion that to lose a bit of belly, the further I go and the faster I get there will burn more calories and get it down quicker, but in reality taking it a bit slower might have better benefits in the long run? I'll definitely consider the chest monitor - had already looked at a few on Amazon, as you say if you're able to do it almost daily without fatiguing yourself or feel like it's forced then that's another long term plus point.

Again thanks for advice, it is really appreciated. It's actually enlightening to read the stuff about the heart rate and lighter runs, someone who's not dead invested in it like me just goes out and runs as fast as I can each time. I guess I'm of the opinion that to lose a bit of belly, the further I go and the faster I get there will burn more calories and get it down quicker, but in reality taking it a bit slower might have better benefits in the long run? I'll definitely consider the chest monitor - had already looked at a few on Amazon, as you say if you're able to do it almost daily without fatiguing yourself or feel like it's forced then that's another long term plus point.

Fat burning you shouldn't be going hell for leather. You actually burn more glucose than fat. Building a good aerobic base by doing long slower runs makes your body more efficient at burning fat and using that as its energy source.

I've been guilty of that myself though mate as I'm sure lots of others have. I only have to look on Garmin Connect to see ALL my friends still do that. They 'like' my long runs or sub 7 min mile paced runs but must be scratching their heads why I'm doing that one day and then almost 10 minute miles the next.

I went out on a bike ride with an elderly bloke the other day who obviously used to look after himself and he set off like a bat out of hell and I was thinking I wouldn't be able to keep up with him. He had this ridiculous 17.5mph average pace in his head as that's what he used to be able to do. Naturally he's not as fit as he once was but he wasn't logically taking into account terrain etc as well. The moral of the story is that he had to stop multiple times and we haven't been out since. Haha.

Fat burning you shouldn't be going hell for leather. You actually burn more glucose than fat. Building a good aerobic base by doing long slower runs makes your body more efficient at burning fat and using that as its energy source.

I've been guilty of that myself though mate as I'm sure lots of others have. I only have to look on Garmin Connect to see ALL my friends still do that. They 'like' my long runs or sub 7 min mile paced runs but must be scratching their heads why I'm doing that one day and then almost 10 minute miles the next.

I went out on a bike ride with an elderly bloke the other day who obviously used to look after himself and he set off like a bat out of hell and I was thinking I wouldn't be able to keep up with him. He had this ridiculous 17.5mph average pace in his head as that's what he used to be able to do. Naturally he's not as fit as he once was but he wasn't logically taking into account terrain etc as well. The moral of the story is that he had to stop multiple times and we haven't been out since. Haha.

Glad I posted on here, feel like I can look at things with a different perspective. Yeah as I say I'm doing the 10k for charity but thought I'd use it as an opportunity to a) get fit and b) lose fat not in any order, but my knowledge of how to do appears to be close to zero haha. My brother is a keen cyclist, gave me an older road bike of his around 6 years ago...hasn't once moved out of my hut haha. Prefer running, but maybe need to mix it up a little.

Glad I posted on here, feel like I can look at things with a different perspective. Yeah as I say I'm doing the 10k for charity but thought I'd use it as an opportunity to a) get fit and b) lose fat not in any order, but my knowledge of how to do appears to be close to zero haha. My brother is a keen cyclist, gave me an older road bike of his around 6 years ago...hasn't once moved out of my hut haha. Prefer running, but maybe need to mix it up a little.

My cousin convinced me to get a road bike a few years ago so we could go out together. In that time we've been a grand total of twice. Hahaha. I've been out on it a few times by myself but it's actually stored in his next door neighbours garage so I don't feel like I can grab it as and when. Everybody's clear reluctance to go cycling with me is making me start to believe I'm some sort of Chris Froome.

If you struggle to do slower paced runs it might be easier doing those on the bike instead. They really are enjoyable on a nice day to go out for a few hours if you live in a rural area and to take in the scenery. Have the odd pit stop for a cake and coffee or a pint. Might not help the waistline mind.

Depending on your Garmin watch it may have a 10k coaching plan. I've done a few of the half marathon ones they have. Really enjoyed some of them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.