Running thread

having stopped smoking in oct i put on quite a bit of weight,working 4 on 4 off i ate alot of shite, ballooned up to 15st.7lb, anyway started going to my works gym,mainly rowing and bicycle , down to 14st.9lb in about a month, want to get down to 13st.7lb.

ive got a treadmill , what would you advise me to do to start running ,if im honest im a little daunted by it ,if someone could come up with a time table i would be very grateful

at the moment i do in a session ,1km rowing,5km bike,1km rowing 5km on the bike

Reactions: ob
having stopped smoking in oct i put on quite a bit of weight,working 4 on 4 off i ate alot of shite, ballooned up to 15st.7lb, anyway started going to my works gym,mainly rowing and bicycle , down to 14st.9lb in about a month, want to get down to 13st.7lb.

ive got a treadmill , what would you advise me to do to start running ,if im honest im a little daunted by it ,if someone could come up with a time table i would be very grateful

Yours is a very similar story to mine mate, I started running when I was getting on for 16st, gave up the smokes after about 12 months of running and haven't looked back since, done loads of marathons and all that malarkey.
I started with a couch to 5k app, there's loads of them and I can't sing their praises enough if your just starting, well worth a look.
The hardest bit is the starting out, once your out the door then the balls rolling, remember your not racing anyone but yourself, you will no doubt see all the "super duper" runners knocking about, take no notice of em, just do your own thing, most of em are full of shit anyways.
This thread is great for inspiration and strava as well, there's a bluemoon club on there, some geezer named @Stuuuuuu wins the distance title every week but he's just a show off!! good luck with it

I only started running in February last year (well since school 35 years previously anyway).
I followed the couch to 5k programme, but picked up a knee injury after 3 weeks so had to start from scratch after 4 weeks" recovery.
On completion, started doing Parkruns each Saturday morning as well as doing a midweek training run.
Whilst I was working, I peaked at 18 stone. On taking early retirement my priority was to lose weight and get fit and stay fit. I started through daily walking before moving on to swimming 3 times a week. Once down to 15 stone, I added in the running at such a point not to damage my knees.
I'm currently 14.5 stone, and set myself a target to swim at least 5k and run at least 10k each week.

I started couchto5k NHS one during lockdown/covid (aged 59 and not ran for 30 years) just to get out and get some exercise. Great support from guys on here. You will have bad days but brush them off and get out again. Rest days very important imo. Good luck mate

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.