Running thread

Sacked off Parkrun this morning as running in 21c heat & high humidity isn't my idea of fun.
Instead, got up early for a solo run, factoring in a couple of pauses for water breaks.
I'm definitely not designed for the summer!

Started running about a week ago, done 4 runs so far all on the treadmill, going out shortly for (on the road )run 5, I'm following the couch to 5k so it's been ok so far, bought some decent running trainers and my earphones, I tried those bone conducting one but didn't like the vibration

Run completed at 5:16am ,I found it harder on the road, think I set off too quickly (for me) blowing out of my arse by the 3rd run

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230625_052646_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20230625_052646_WhatsApp.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Started running about a week ago, done 4 runs so far all on the treadmill, going out shortly for (on the road )run 5, I'm following the couch to 5k so it's been ok so far, bought some decent running trainers and my earphones, I tried those bone conducting one but didn't like the vibration

Run completed at 5:16am ,I found it harder on the road, think I set off too quickly (for me) blowing out of my arse by the 3rd run

Well played, sir. I started couch to 5k last spring. It all seems quite alien initially & you wonder how you are ever going to improve, but it all clicks into place after a couple of months For me, the key was mental rather than physical strength, convincing myself to keep going.

Well played, sir. I started couch to 5k last spring. It all seems quite alien initially & you wonder how you are ever going to improve, but it all clicks into place after a couple of months For me, the key was mental rather than physical strength, convincing myself to keep going.
i found the first of the runs today i was really fucked , there was a slight uphill involved , but i had set off too fast imo, on the treadmill i can pace myself , 2nd and 3rd were a little better, at the half way point when the bell went off i turned around and got a boost because i could see the slope i had to run down(nothing major) and i was heading home :) off i set chuffed i hadn't given up after the first couple of runs ,the 2nd to last run was a killer,but the last run i pissed it :) sort of

i found the first of the runs today i was really fucked , there was a slight uphill involved , but i had set off too fast imo, on the treadmill i can pace myself , 2nd and 3rd were a little better, at the half way point when the bell went off i turned around and got a boost because i could see the slope i had to run down(nothing major) and i was heading home :) off i set chuffed i hadn't given up after the first couple of runs ,the 2nd to last run was a killer,but the last run i pissed it :) sort of
I run fairly regular but always have to start slowly, first 1 or 2 kms, otherwise I struggle for remainder of the run. The only way I can start quickly is by having a proper warm up, including about 5 minutes of jogging, this I only do for actual races.

So, and I'm no expert by any means, but I'd suggest go as slow as you can initially until you feel comfortable and then move up to normal pace.

I run fairly regular but always have to start slowly, first 1 or 2 kms, otherwise I struggle for remainder of the run. The only way I can start quickly is by having a proper warm up, including about 5 minutes of jogging, this I only do for actual races.

So, and I'm no expert by any means, but I'd suggest go as slow as you can initially until you feel comfortable and then move up to normal pace.
haha , my 5 minutes are brisk walking, followed by jogging :)

i started running for the first time on the road today, i don't know if it was the "look at me mr fitness" or the music, couldn't get my breathing right, couldn't breathe through my nose,i know i set off to quickly for a beginner, once i settled in and concentrated on me it got a little easier, btw my jogging was comfortable at a slightly faster plod :)

I hate running lol always have unless it was in sport or away from the old bill.

I did the sport aid run in 86 and that's the last run I ever did. Knees hurt, hips hurt, back hurts.

For me its cycling or swimming

Why do long distance runners always look so ill ? Like skeletons. It's not for me !

I hate running lol always have unless it was in sport or away from the old bill.

I did the sport aid run in 86 and that's the last run I ever did. Knees hurt, hips hurt, back hurts.

For me its cycling or swimming

Why do long distance runners always look so ill ? Like skeletons. It's not for me !

My main form of exercise is swimming. I'm not particularly fast, but can keep going for a while. Usually aim to swim 5k each week, and try to do it in outdoor pools as much as possible in the warmer months.
I took up running as a cross training activity. I enjoy it, but don't take it too seriously. Really enjoy being outdoors and try to do it somewhere scenic away from traffic & people, usually along a river or canal path.
I just enjoy the solitude & using all my senses to take in my surroundings.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.