Running thread

Think my body has had enough and at 56, no surprise but gutted. I can’t get beyond 2-3 min reps without straining a muscle. Mainly calf, but groin and hamstring over last few years. Have seen multiple physios, tried stretching, theraband exercises, weights, rest. Nothing works. Only minor strains, they disappear after a few days but can’t build any momentum.

Reactions: ob
Think my body has had enough and at 56, no surprise but gutted. I can’t get beyond 2-3 min reps without straining a muscle. Mainly calf, but groin and hamstring over last few years. Have seen multiple physios, tried stretching, theraband exercises, weights, rest. Nothing works. Only minor strains, they disappear after a few days but can’t build any momentum.

Have you given swimming a go? It's a lot kinder on your joints & muscles, you can go at your own pace, do as little or much as you want, and is still a decent cardio exercise and burns loads of calories.

My body gave up at similar age after over 20 years of running. I just can't run with a muscle in my back. I tried all sorts but everytime I ran my back hurts. I just walk now.

First run of week 4 done, 4xruns in the run this morning, I wasn't confident when I started, even less when another runner went passed me, 3 mins I was fine considering the day before I had to really push to get to 3 mins, so that built my confidence a little, then

onto 5 mins which I didn't quite get there, I was quite angry with myself because it was in my mind that I didn't manage to complete it

At the half way bell I turn and it's down hill from then on, again the 3 mins was disturbed by another runner but I managed to finish it

Then the last 5 mins, I knew it would take me to about the doctors carpark and I got there :)

I can honestly say I haven't worked or pushed myself that hard for year's, chuffed to bit's.

Sorry about the long post :)

My god I'm sweaty and shagged haha
Great stuff, sure sounds like your getting the bug!! It's hard to describe the buzz you get after a run but it does sound like yer getting it.
Think I said it in a reply to you a while back. Just try to ignore other what other runners are doing(which admittedly is easier said than done) you never know what they are doing, the guy that passed you could have been just running round the corner for a packet of fans, or the guy that you pass could be at the end of a 20 mile lung buster.
TBH one of the reasons I like my 4.30am runs is because there's no other fucker about, although now the mornings are brighter they seem to be crawling out of the woodwork, who knew so many folk were scared of the dark??.

On a strict fasting diet week this week and just dragged myself out for 7k which i really didnt want to go on. Suprisingly felt the best i've felt for a while so hopefully its working.

Reactions: ob
Great stuff, sure sounds like your getting the bug!! It's hard to describe the buzz you get after a run but it does sound like yer getting it.
Think I said it in a reply to you a while back. Just try to ignore other what other runners are doing(which admittedly is easier said than done) you never know what they are doing, the guy that passed you could have been just running round the corner for a packet of fans, or the guy that you pass could be at the end of a 20 mile lung buster.
TBH one of the reasons I like my 4.30am runs is because there's no other fucker about, although now the mornings are brighter they seem to be crawling out of the woodwork, who knew so many folk were scared of the dark??.
the first runner was a lady ,quite a nice looking lady probably 30 years my junior :).

i am really enjoying it,i usually start off with the mindset an hour and i can look forward to that shower, and my god i needed it this morning,i was soaked in sweat but very happy haha.

im an early riser anyway , and i think getting it done in the morning with some tunes is a great way to start the day , i was done and showered by 8am(had to wait for my shower as the mrs was getting ready for work) but i was just in my shorts by that time walking around the house thinking i was linford christie haha

the first runner was a lady ,quite a nice looking lady probably 30 years my junior :).

i am really enjoying it,i usually start off with the mindset an hour and i can look forward to that shower, and my god i needed it this morning,i was soaked in sweat but very happy haha.

im an early riser anyway , and i think getting it done in the morning with some tunes is a great way to start the day , i was done and showered by 8am(had to wait for my shower as the mrs was getting ready for work) but i was just in my shorts by that time walking around the house thinking i was linford christie haha

I'm a morning person too when it comes to exercise. I'm really no good for anything after noon. Looking back now, when I was still working, I used to cram everything into the morning & never did anything productive after lunch.
As others have mentioned, start thinking about what you want to achieve after you've finished couch to 5k. I really enjoy Parkrun, and it's great that you can participate in them in various locations and whatever your ability.
I also enjoyed the "Blue Run" in March this year. It's basically 2 laps of the Etihad Stadium & Campus, all whilst having blue powder chucked at you. Noone takes it too seriously, you get a medal & a t shirt, and can raise a bit of money for City in the Community.
You just have to put up with Danny Jackson taking the piss out of you a bit, but it's all good natured.

4 miles easy pace last night. Felt great after the 10miles on Sunday but my body was saying different during that run last night. Was in bed for 7, got nearly 12 hours which is unheard of.

Got some intervals and tempo runs coming up this week so hopefully they feel a bit better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.