Running thread

Advice urgently required.
I'm relatively new to running having started in earnest around seven weeks ago as an FOC whose only exercise previously involved the odd long walk. My PB (some four weeks ago) for 5k is 26:14 which is, admittedly, not that impressive when compared to the exploits of some on this thread. Regardless, I was delighted at the time. My challenge now is to move beyond the 5k distance which has become my default option. Ideally, my goal is to run 10k without it feeling like an ascent of Everest! I'd be grateful for any tips or advice from the more experienced posters.
I've been really grateful for the support since posting my original comment. The advice received has proved invaluable. Now 12 weeks in, I posted a 5k PB of 24:50 last weekend at Marple Parkrun and ran an 8.5k this week. My aim is to run a 10k within the next fortnight. Slow and steady is definitely the way forward (no pun intended) with progress achieved by way of small increments. I post this follow-up for no other reason than I'm bloody chuffed with myself. Perhaps there was an elite athlete lurking in me all those (61) years and I just didn't know it! Joking aside, if anyone reading this post thinks they're too old to make that first step, just go for it. You might just surprise yourself.

I've been really grateful for the support since posting my original comment. The advice received has proved invaluable. Now 12 weeks in, I posted a 5k PB of 24:50 last weekend at Marple Parkrun and ran an 8.5k this week. My aim is to run a 10k within the next fortnight. Slow and steady is definitely the way forward (no pun intended) with progress achieved by way of small increments. I post this follow-up for no other reason than I'm bloody chuffed with myself. Perhaps there was an elite athlete lurking in me all those (61) years and I just didn't know it! Joking aside, if anyone reading this post thinks they're too old to make that first step, just go for it. You might just surprise yourself.
Fantastic mate I ran my first HM last year aged 60 and had only started running 2 years before it

You say slow and steady but that is a cracking Parkrun time.

I always think training yourself to reach 10k are the hardest Ks of training. Once that base is established 10-14K as an examples seems much lesser a jump than say from 2-6 4-8K etc.

Keep improving but more importantly keep enjoying the experience. If you allow it, it really can open a different world to you. Heading out in the car, parking up and running through a wood/forest along a coast path or late night runs through woods is a really inspiring experience.

Keep moving.

Fantastic mate I ran my first HM last year aged 60 and had only started running 2 years before it
That's brilliant mate. I've always said a marathon isn't for me but as I slowly increase my distance, I'm beginning to see the attraction. Initially, you run a 5k and begin to feel comfortable with that distance before extending to 10k and so on. Take that process to it's logical conclusion and, inevitably, you'll be at a point where 26 miles feels achievable. Suffice to say though, it looks an horrendous prospect to me just now!

You say slow and steady but that is a cracking Parkrun time.

I always think training yourself to reach 10k are the hardest Ks of training. Once that base is established 10-14K as an examples seems much lesser a jump than say from 2-6 4-8K etc.

Keep improving but more importantly keep enjoying the experience. If you allow it, it really can open a different world to you. Heading out in the car, parking up and running through a wood/forest along a coast path or late night runs through woods is a really inspiring experience.

Keep moving.
Cheers pal. What you say about the leap from 5k to 10k is echoed by mates of mine who have been at this running game for years.
Equally, I agree that getting out for a run - particularly in the countryside - is good for mind, body and soul. In fact, the serotonin boost is becoming addictive!

Under 25 minutes is in no way slow and steady and that’s a great time. Every credit and keep going with it.

24:50 is a fantastic Parkrun PB I can only currently dream of, and I'm only 52 but a little overweight (but I'm working on that).
Keep up the good work!

that's a great Parkrun time

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.