Running thread

I've been really grateful for the support since posting my original comment. The advice received has proved invaluable. Now 12 weeks in, I posted a 5k PB of 24:50 last weekend at Marple Parkrun and ran an 8.5k this week. My aim is to run a 10k within the next fortnight. Slow and steady is definitely the way forward (no pun intended) with progress achieved by way of small increments. I post this follow-up for no other reason than I'm bloody chuffed with myself. Perhaps there was an elite athlete lurking in me all those (61) years and I just didn't know it! Joking aside, if anyone reading this post thinks they're too old to make that first step, just go for it. You might just surprise yourself.
Well done! You should be chuffed. 24:50 is a great 5k time, and you'll be very high up in the age ranking with that speed.

I think you could manage 10k if you've done 8.5. Slow the speed down to around 5:45 min/k (or slower). Setup half kilometer updates on Strava to help with your pacing.

It's addictive, isn't it... :')

Well done! You should be chuffed. 24:50 is a great 5k time, and you'll be very high up in the age ranking with that speed.

I think you could manage 10k if you've done 8.5. Slow the speed down to around 5:45 min/k (or slower). Setup half kilometer updates on Strava to help with your pacing.

It's addictive, isn't it... :')
Ha, I've been second in my age category twice at my local Glossop Parkrun. I was determined to hunt my nemesis down like a dog once I'd identified him. That was until I saw his PB was sub 23 minutes!
Otherwise, again, I'm really grateful for your advice.

For those fo you who missed it this weekend:

Move over Kipchoge, Kiptum is in town!
Kipchoge's not done yet mate, Kiptum had nigh on perfect conditions for it in Chicago, miles better than Kipchoge did in Berlin, think its going to be the Paris Olympics next year when they go head to head, by which time the nike dev 163 kiptum was wearing will be alphafly 3 and the sub2 could possibly go again but this time in race conditions.
The price of running shoes nowadays the alphafly 3 will probably be about £500 a go, I'm all in for a sub3 next time around but doubt I'm that all in tbh, stupid prices

Kipchoge's not done yet mate, Kiptum had nigh on perfect conditions for it in Chicago, miles better than Kipchoge did in Berlin, think its going to be the Paris Olympics next year when they go head to head, by which time the nike dev 163 kiptum was wearing will be alphafly 3 and the sub2 could possibly go again but this time in race conditions.
The price of running shoes nowadays the alphafly 3 will probably be about £500 a go, I'm all in for a sub3 next time around but doubt I'm that all in tbh, stupid prices

Its a real shame now when you here these great times the first question you think is has another super shoe been invented rather than focus on the achievement.

Not sure how they regulate the shoes but it seems like they play do big a part nowadays.

Apparently Adidas have some super shoes which cost 400 quid a pop and only designed to wear once.

I've been really grateful for the support since posting my original comment. The advice received has proved invaluable. Now 12 weeks in, I posted a 5k PB of 24:50 last weekend at Marple Parkrun and ran an 8.5k this week. My aim is to run a 10k within the next fortnight. Slow and steady is definitely the way forward (no pun intended) with progress achieved by way of small increments. I post this follow-up for no other reason than I'm bloody chuffed with myself. Perhaps there was an elite athlete lurking in me all those (61) years and I just didn't know it! Joking aside, if anyone reading this post thinks they're too old to make that first step, just go for it. You might just surprise yourself.
Well done mate. I’m about 5 years younger than you and started doing 5ks this summer. I’d not run since the dreaded cross-country at school! Just did my sixth this last Sunday and did a new PB of 32’15”. That’s a solid 10 mins quicker than my first attempt back in May. I’ve another three scheduled before year end and am targeting getting to the 30’ mark.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.