Running thread

I took the plunge and bought Matt Fitzgeralds' 80/20 training book. Very interesting so far.

Does anyone here follow the 80/20 stuff for their training?

I did an 11k at 6 min k/ms (the usual comfy speed for me is around 5:00-5:15/km. Felt really unnatural to run at that pace - but I guess that's the point. Feel absolutely fine today. Just seems so counter-intuitive to train that way (despite the obvious scientific evidence to support it).

I took the plunge and bought Matt Fitzgeralds' 80/20 training book. Very interesting so far.

I did an 11k at 6 min k/ms (the usual comfy speed for me is around 5:00-5:15/km. Felt really unnatural to run at that pace - but I guess that's the point. Feel absolutely fine today. Just seems so counter-intuitive to train that way (despite the obvious scientific evidence to support it).
Not read the book but currently trying 80/20 in some of my runs. I keep spreadsheet of every run with things like pace, HR, times etc. Noticed so far times staying same but HR more in zones 2-3 rather than 3-4

Not read the book but currently trying 80/20 in some of my runs. I keep spreadsheet of every run with things like pace, HR, times etc. Noticed so far times staying same but HR more in zones 2-3 rather than 3-4
That's good. Definitely shows your fitness improving.

I've only read half of the book. I'd recommend it so far. In the chapter I've just read he recommends using a mixture of pace, HR and perceived difficulty to judge running intensity - one in isolation doesn't really work (e.g. you could run the same pace, but if you had a shit night's sleep you might be working harder).

I have a heart rate monitor that goes across my chest which is very useful (and gives me very different results than my smart-watch).

I am sort of following it in a non-structured sort of way.

Run 5/6 days a week but the main change I have made is my slow runs are now a lot slower. I typically aim to keep my heart rate below 130, so in HR zones 1/2 on the Garmin. Complete contrast to previously where nearly all my run were in zones 3/4.

So far It has really helped me push the mileage up a bit as the slow runs feel so easy and my legs feel much fresher for my one day of ‘speedwork’ and for my long run.

It could also be coincidental but a couple of niggles I had, have also disappeared.

I am sort of following it in a non-structured sort of way.

Run 5/6 days a week but the main change I have made is my slow runs are now a lot slower. I typically aim to keep my heart rate below 130, so in HR zones 1/2 on the Garmin. Complete contrast to previously where nearly all my run were in zones 3/4.

So far It has really helped me push the mileage up a bit as the slow runs feel so easy and my legs feel much fresher for my one day of ‘speedwork’ and for my long run.

It could also be coincidental but a couple of niggles I had, have also disappeared.
That's really good going.

I've been on a couple of runs this week, and my heart rate has averaged 149 bpm and 145 bpm (My max heart rate is around 195-205 (not sure I trust the higher reading of 205). It almost feels like it's not worth exercising at that intensity, but I've done over 20k in the last two days and feel like I could go out and do some more today. Training at my previous higher intensities I felt like I had to take a day or two off between runs.

I don't think the niggles disappearing is coincidental. It makes perfect sense that a better-balanced training plan keeps you fresher.

Amongst all the marathon running on here, i have just finished week six of the couch to 5k
Keep at it mate. At times it'll probably feel like two steps forward and one back (pun intended) but it's worth it in the end. Take it from someone who's been there and is now feeling confident at 10k. You'll find plenty of support on this thread.

Amongst all the marathon running on here, i have just finished week six of the couch to 5k
Top man, I might sound like a broken record, but for me the toughest bit is starting out with running, it takes a lot of patience and can be quite off putting when you see other folk doing it all the time, but keep at it and it gets real good, I started on the couch to 5k about 4 years ago and it probably one of the best things I ever did.
Good luck with it mate

It's great when it all starts coming together isn't it? When I started couch to 5k, I couldn't run for 30 seconds. It's amazing how relatively quickly your body adapts, but it's mainly around finding a comfortable pace.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.