Running thread

Thanks for the reply. I am hoping to see my GP this week so I will ask them then but I'm always interested to see what the wise old heads of Bluemoon have to say as well ;)

I've not been swimming for over 10 years and have never been a strong swimmer, although I do enjoy your updates in the swimming thread and they have been tempting me to get started.

I restarted swimming about 9 months before I started couch to 5k just to lose a bit of weight and build some basic lung and heart fitness.
Now I mix up running and swimming just to keep exercise varied and interesting.
As others have said on here, couch to 5k is great as a starting point for running, but make sure you don't further damage your body, or wait until after your surgery before you start.

Just signed up for the Manchester Half in October, to try get me back out running.
If I start running properly, I'll see If I can do the May one, although that is FA cup final weekend.

Gonna try run 3/4 times a week starting with a few 5ks building up to 10k then go from there. 5k x 2 1 abit further then aim to have a long run every weekend once I can run 10ks

Can anybody advise for or against starting the couch to 5k with an inguinal hernia? I could be waiting a while for surgery, however, the last few weeks I've just been going to work (office job) and then coming home and doing next to nothing and I'm getting a bit fed up of it now.

I'd like to be doing some form of exercise but at the same time I don't want to make things worse.
The running advocate in me says you should try going out and seeing how it is on a VERY easy run.

Though, it's not worth creating a bigger problem that will cost you more in the long run. Could be worth seeing a physio who could give you good exercises that will help keep you fit and prepare for your op.

Just signed up for the Manchester Half in October, to try get me back out running.
If I start running properly, I'll see If I can do the May one, although that is FA cup final weekend.

Gonna try run 3/4 times a week starting with a few 5ks building up to 10k then go from there. 5k x 2 1 abit further then aim to have a long run every weekend once I can run 10ks
I've just finished Matt Fitzgeralds 80/20 running book. I can't recommend it enough.

Train easier and get better results!

The running advocate in me says you should try going out and seeing how it is on a VERY easy run.

Though, it's not worth creating a bigger problem that will cost you more in the long run. Could be worth seeing a physio who could give you good exercises that will help keep you fit and prepare for your op.
Thanks for the reply. My symptoms actually started last month on the same day I did week 1 run 1 but I didn't feel too bad after it. Obviously I didn't know it was a hernia at the time so it could've actually aggravated it.

I think I'm just too eager to restart it but I'll see what my GP says.

Good luck mate. I have a similar training plan. 12 weeks of 2 runs usually between 3-5 miles (starts off 3-4). The longer runs start with two at 6 and increase after that my one mile a week. It has break one week with 10k rather than increase. Im in my 60s so it's slow and steady. Aimed at 2 hours 30 and I did mine at 2:27

Nice training session last night at Run club.

1.5k warm up
6x400 metres with 1 minute rest
6x200 metres with 45 seconds rest
1.5k warm down.

The sprints have destroyed the legs, it was pitch black and cold in the forest and It absolutely chucked it down - fantastic.

Just back from mine (on a track)

300metres steady pace
100 m walk
300 meters fast pace

Keep at it mate. At times it'll probably feel like two steps forward and one back (pun intended) but it's worth it in the end. Take it from someone who's been there and is now feeling confident at 10k. You'll find plenty of support on this thread.
You know what they say about pride going before a fall. Well, having run with a little discomfort in my right knee for the past fortnight, Tuesday night's club coaching session saw me bail out early with unbearable pain! Ironically, my first injury appears to have been exacerbated under the 'care' of an experienced coach urging me to go further and faster. This was the same coach who gave me a mild telling off before my first session for "going too far, too fast, too soon". Currently, I'm laid up with what I believe is known as 'runner's knee' feeling increasingly frustrated.
Again, any and all advice is welcome from the more experienced regulars on this thread. Personal testimony in particular is always useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: ob
You know what the say about pride going before a fall. Well, having run with a little discomfort in my right knee for the past fortnight, Tuesday night's club coaching session saw me bail out early with unbearable pain! Ironically, my first injury appears to have been exacerbated under the 'care' of an experienced coach urging me to go further and faster. This was the same coach who gave me a mild telling off before my first session for "going too far, too fast, too soon". Currently, I'm laid up with what I believe is known as 'runner's knee' feeling increasingly frustrated.
Again, any and all advice is welcome from the more experienced regulars on this thread.

Pretty much what it says in here. Worked for me anyway! Took me about 4 weeks to rest and restart running....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.