Running thread

I'm 57, played football all my life, and started running last December. I've had no serious injuries or health issues, apart from excess weight, which is now under control. Recently when running, my knees have been a little painful. A friend recommended rose hip tablets to help lubricate my tired and aging joints. Is this good advice or is there anything else I should consider?

I'm 57, played football all my life, and started running last December. I've had no serious injuries or health issues, apart from excess weight, which is now under control. Recently when running, my knees have been a little painful. A friend recommended rose hip tablets to help lubricate my tired and aging joints. Is this good advice or is there anything else I should consider?
Lose a little more weight.get the most padded shoes you can. And l take vitamin c with rose hip. Does the rose hip help? I don't know.
Listen to your body (knees) take rest days aplenty.
You are 57 sir and still running. That's amazing

DO NOT beat yourself up. You are in the top 5% for age fitness wise just getting out running.
YOU. Are inspirational sir...........doffs cap and shuffles away into shadows.

No at Stanley park Blackpool on track? It was a while ago .....I don't even know if track is still there?
It's all about the journey.....
Anyone running at all ....any time is doing fine.
#respect.......the only person you race is yourself.........mo farah would laugh his head off at my best !!

Yep, just race against yourself especially at my age, 50, start worrying about what everyone else is doing and you may as well give up.

Done another 6 miles tonight, calf’s were sore after a speed session on Monday evening but ok at 49 minutes.

514 for the year now, plus 588 on the bike, think I need to get laid......

My Park Run PB is 20:39...I'm desperately wanting to go sub 20 this year (I got that last year at 45). I tore my labrum a year and half a go - before the PB - and one surgeon and physio suggested running soft ground only or going treadmill...then a later surgeon advised the latest advice was just to run anyway. I barely get any injuries running these days (unlike when you first start running) and that torn labrum was in part down to the physiology of my hip socket shapes.
I've joined the gym recently and absolutely love it...running will always be my 'mother ship/base' but I lost so much weight running I was looking a bit weedy (and I've generally been quite 'big' throughout my life). Do 5k treadmill then 4500 metre on the rower...another night weights and cross fits...other nights yoga and pilates (I've been plagued by a bad back for years). Incredible what it's doing to both my mind and body...

I'm 57 as well, took up running just 4-5 years ago after a pretty sedate lifestyle for most of my adulthood. I've learned you have to use your head just as much as your legs to keep up in this game at our age. Plenty of rest, some strength training, most runs at very easy pace, good shoes but not necessarily the most cushioned ones. Maybe most importantly work on your technique - relaxed but with good posture, press your hips forward and don't "sit back" even when you tire, and focus on having a high enough step frequency so that you are able to land on your foot above and not behind the knee. Especially that last one is what will make or break your knees. Good luck and keep it up. I'm running my first marathon this fall.

Wk7 of couch25k completed.

All 25 min runs.

Run 1 saw me do 3.84km with a fastest 1km split of 6.29

Run 2 saw me do 3.81km with a fastest 1km split of 6.34

Run 3 this morning i managed 4.04km with a fastest 1km split of 5.56!

Happy days :-)

Yep, just race against yourself especially at my age, 50, start worrying about what everyone else is doing and you may as well give up.

Done another 6 miles tonight, calf’s were sore after a speed session on Monday evening but ok at 49 minutes.

514 for the year now, plus 588 on the bike, think I need to get laid......

Taking the kids for new bikes this morning as part of their birthday treats.

What the wife doesnt realise is i will also be treating myself to one.

Will let you know what i buy ;-)

Same here, have tried to taper this week but did tatton 10k Sunday, 8k Wednesday and am going to do the park run in the morning. I'm just itching to get going with the half, have found the tapering so boring
Ha, fair effort. I chose to watch son do park run this morning, saving my legs. I’ve kept fully away from running this week, just been doing plenty of spin classes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.