Running thread

Good luck with that. Regardless of the type of diet I adopt, my weight remains unchanged due to the wines and beers I enjoy on the weekends.

I'm the same. I initially went down from 18 to 14.5 stones through swimming and running. My diet is generally healthy and varied, although I do treat myself to fish & chips on a Friday and a few pints once a week.
It seems now, however much exercise I do, my weight is pretty stable. Maybe I'm just expecting more given my initial fairly rapid weight loss!

Reactions: ob
Some good deals to be had on Nike for the next week as they've got 25% off everything with the code SPRINT23.

I've just purchased the Pegasus 40 for 68€ (60 quidish). Loved the previous version for a good all round daily shoe but started to feel a bit flat after 600km. They can take the place of my Hoka Mach 4s in the rotation. I've really hated them from the very first run but I've still been using them as I didn't want to admit to the wife that I'd wasted 80 quid on "another" pair of running trainers!

I beat this today... 22:42.

On the previous 5k, I ran the following splits:

1 - 4:16
2 - 4:32
3 - 4:35
4 - 4:41
5 - 4:46

Today they were:

1 - 4:32
2 - 4:30
3 - 4:26
4 - 4:31
5 - 4:43 (I was doing so well until the last 500m which is one steady hill - it killed me and ruined my time).

I think my running is getting better and my splits are more consistent which should help me in the longer runs.

I'd have liked to have improved more than that in the 2 months or so, but I wasn't feeling it at all today. I've not felt 100% the past couple of days so on the right day I think I'd beat 22:30. I'm running the Wilmslow 10k next weekend. I'm going to try and get close to 45 mins. If I fail, I should still easily beat my 10k pb (~47 mins).

Think you're being rather hard on yourself mate. To get from 30 minutes to 22:42 for a 5K within a few months is quite remarkable. It's only natural the most substantial improvement in time is within the first few weeks and then it'll begin to plateau off. Well done.

Think you're being rather hard on yourself mate. To get from 30 minutes to 22:42 for a 5K within a few months is quite remarkable. It's only natural the most substantial improvement in time is within the first few weeks and then it'll begin to plateau off. Well done.
Thanks. I'm not unhappy with that time. Just a little disappointed because I've put in a hell of a lot more training in those two months (so a few seconds increase didn't seem fair).

But since then, I've been out on a few slow runs and I'm really noticing the difference there. I've been running really comfortably at around 5:20min/km whereas a few weeks ago, the same heart rate had me running around 5:45min/km. So it is paying off. I just need to focus more time on sprint/interval training which really helped me improve my speeds in September.

I think as runners we have to accept there are peaks and troughs for improvements - it's not linear!

Some good deals to be had on Nike for the next week as they've got 25% off everything with the code SPRINT23.

I've just purchased the Pegasus 40 for 68€ (60 quidish). Loved the previous version for a good all round daily shoe but started to feel a bit flat after 600km. They can take the place of my Hoka Mach 4s in the rotation. I've really hated them from the very first run but I've still been using them as I didn't want to admit to the wife that I'd wasted 80 quid on "another" pair of running trainers!
We’ve all been there!!!

Thanks. I'm not unhappy with that time. Just a little disappointed because I've put in a hell of a lot more training in those two months (so a few seconds increase didn't seem fair).

But since then, I've been out on a few slow runs and I'm really noticing the difference there. I've been running really comfortably at around 5:20min/km whereas a few weeks ago, the same heart rate had me running around 5:45min/km. So it is paying off. I just need to focus more time on sprint/interval training which really helped me improve my speeds in September.

I think as runners we have to accept there are peaks and troughs for improvements - it's not linear!

I know what you mean as it's very easy to get quite OCD about it. There's so many variables though including stress, drink, food, general health, lack of sleep etc. The biggest for myself though (as I run on the promenade) is the weather.

Like yourself I go off heart rate and running my zone 2 low 140bpm 9 minute miles are about a minute slower when running into rain and 30mph winds.

The race predictor on my Garmin rather pathetically annoys me too as it says my 5k time would be 23.11 and I've never run anywhere near that slow on a Park Run. Haha.

Last edited:
A quick shout out to those hardy souls braving sub zero temperatures this morning for a Parkrun. As a relative newbie, it'll be a first for me running in temperatures as low as this. It got me thinking, what do the more experienced runners on this forum wear to keep warm? This morning, I've decided to wear a compression top with a thin layer over the top but forgo my shiny new running tights (a decision I may live to regret). Otherwise, hat and gloves.
I'll await the pile-on telling me what a wuss I am!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.