Running thread

A quick shout out to those hardy souls braving sub zero temperatures this morning for a Parkrun. As a relative newbie, it'll be a first for me running in temperatures as low as this. It got me thinking, what do the more experienced runners on this forum wear to keep warm? This morning, I've decided to wear a compression top with a thin layer over the top but forgo my shiny new running tights (a decision I may live to regret). Otherwise, hat and gloves.
I'll await the pile-on telling me what a wuss I am!
May I be the first to tell you yer a "WUSS"
As for what to wear depending on how cold it is I go with a compression top and t-shirt, gloves and shorts, just t-shirt and shorts this morning as it was only -2, you soon warm up

I've been in London all week. Managed a 5km in and around Wembley, including around the stadium twice. Also a 6.5km morning run on Thursday.

Moved over to Hammersmith for the weekend, and did Fulham Parkrun this morning. I finished 421st, but just received my official time of 30:42, with a position of 424.

My own recorded time was 29:56, and my recorded 5km time was 29:29, which I'm pleased with as I have been out for two weeks with cough and cold symptoms.

A quick shout out to those hardy souls braving sub zero temperatures this morning for a Parkrun. As a relative newbie, it'll be a first for me running in temperatures as low as this. It got me thinking, what do the more experienced runners on this forum wear to keep warm? This morning, I've decided to wear a compression top with a thin layer over the top but forgo my shiny new running tights (a decision I may live to regret). Otherwise, hat and gloves.

I get sweaty whatever the temperature so just wore my normal shorts & running t-shirt. I have poor circulation to my extremities so the gloves made a rare appearance this morning.
I've heard of joggers nipple, but I managed to get runners arse cheeks in the shower post run!

I get sweaty whatever the temperature so just wore my normal shorts & running t-shirt. I have poor circulation to my extremities so the gloves made a rare appearance this morning.
I've heard of joggers nipple, but I managed to get runners arse cheeks in the shower post run!
I used to suffer from joggers nipple when I played football 30 years. Thankfully not affected my running yet

Great question mate.

The short answer is that you will soon warm up after a mile or so. I wear two layers outside of summer: a thin, long-sleeved base layer with a thin fluorescent top over it (I run in the pitch black in an area with no streetlights). Usually long trackies but sometimes knee-length shorts. I think you just have to get used to the idea that you will be chilly for 5-10 minutes at the start of your run.

Start off your run slowly to gradually warm up your muscles. It's a good idea to chuck in some drills (e.g. high knees etc.) and dynamic stretches during your warm up. Before you know it, you'll be feeling warm and ready to move up through the gears.

Everyone's a bit different, but I find that I need a warm hat, gloves and a buff around my neck for the bits of my body that get cold (mostly hands, neck and my big ears, i.e. the exposed extremities).

May I be the first to tell you yer a "WUSS"
As for what to wear depending on how cold it is I go with a compression top and t-shirt, gloves and shorts, just t-shirt and shorts this morning as it was only -2, you soon warm up
Guilty as charged but then it's not a pissing contest. You're right though. After around 2k, my muscles started to warm up. I needed the gloves, however, due to poor circulation.

Last edited:
I absolutely agree where gloves are concerned. Despite the gloves, my hands were still cold this morning until around 2k. As for runner's arse cheeks, that just sounds like a sexual offence!

Quick update. I must have done something right this morning as I finished first in my age group! Not bad for an FOC who's been running for around four months.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.