Running thread

Fair play to anyone that did circuits of Oulton Park today. That last dip before the home straight is mingin. ✊
Thankfully I only had to go up Clay Hill the once in doing the 5k.

A lot steeper running it than watching Superbikes fly up it at over 140mph.

Shin splints have been killing me lately. I keep stretching before runs but its still killing me. Any suggestions?

After only doing the odd run in the past 18 months I decided to get back out there on Saturday night. Only 5k and boy did I feel it yesterday, but it was good to get the first one under my belt and I'll try and get out three or four times a week. I quite like running at this time of the year. Tends to be when I've done my training for marathons/events in the past. Started off at a gentle 5.45 pace and tried to build it up each km and did the last one in 5 flat which hurt like a woman but was promising!

I was holding out an ambition of going sub20 for a 5k before I packed it in through a combination of injuries and boredom with running. I'm a way off that with a 27min first effort, but we'll see if I can get the bug again.

My general rule of thumb is going off what the 'feels like' temperature on the weather app states. 5 degrees and over vest. 0-5 degrees shirt and gloves. Anything less than freezing long sleeve shirt to tracksuit top depending on how cold.

Always wear shorts regardless of temperature. Can't understand how people wear bottoms. Get too hot and start to get sweat rashes.
Good advice mate. As said, the new tights didn't get an airing on Saturday though it was noticeable how many were wearing them. I'm going to wait for the real brass monkey weather.

After only doing the odd run in the past 18 months I decided to get back out there on Saturday night. Only 5k and boy did I feel it yesterday, but it was good to get the first one under my belt and I'll try and get out three or four times a week. I quite like running at this time of the year. Tends to be when I've done my training for marathons/events in the past. Started off at a gentle 5.45 pace and tried to build it up each km and did the last one in 5 flat which hurt like a woman but was promising!

I was holding out an ambition of going sub20 for a 5k before I packed it in through a combination of injuries and boredom with running. I'm a way off that with a 27min first effort, but we'll see if I can get the bug again.

Well done mate.

Just gradually build up again, don't do too much too soon or those injuries will return.

With regards to boredom, you've got to keep setting yourself goals, either book a race in or aim for a time. Sounds like sub 20 is a long term goal. Build your fitness up again and starting chipping away at that 5k time, sub 25, sub 24 etc...

Well done mate.

Just gradually build up again, don't do too much too soon or those injuries will return.

With regards to boredom, you've got to keep setting yourself goals, either book a race in or aim for a time. Sounds like sub 20 is a long term goal. Build your fitness up again and starting chipping away at that 5k time, sub 25, sub 24 etc...

Yeah I can't do much in life without a target. That was my problem originally. I did the Manchester Marathon, which was largely during/after my Mum's passing from cancer and a way of punishing myself through grief! When I'd done it, I was feeling really good and got my 5k time down to 21.10 but had an injury that just wouldn't go and made running uncomfortable. All healed up and back to square one now, but there are a few half marathons and things I could look at early next year to work towards. Muscle memory will hopefully mean it doesn't take too long to build the distance and pace but I'll take it easy. I'm good at the "long slow run" element, the pace work has always been the issue!

Shin splints have been killing me lately. I keep stretching before runs but its still killing me. Any suggestions?

Run through them. Haha. I got them when I was younger doing boxing training. Presumably from the skipping on hard surfaces. Uncle who was a half-decent boxer told me to do that and to be fair they did go away. Probably not the advice I'd give to somebody that isn't a spring chicken though.

I felt something go 'ping' below my calf just walking up the stairs last night. Not in major discomfort but hope it's nothing to do with the achiles. As somebody that runs/jogs 5-6 days a week that'd really deflate me.

Run through them. Haha. I got them when I was younger doing boxing training. Presumably from the skipping on hard surfaces. Uncle who was a half-decent boxer told me to do that and to be fair they did go away. Probably not the advice I'd give to somebody that isn't a spring chicken though.

I felt something go 'ping' below my calf just walking up the stairs last night. Not in major discomfort but hope it's nothing to do with the achiles. As somebody that runs/jogs 5-6 days a week that'd really deflate me.
Yeah I try to power through best I can. Switching to some better shoes with better support will hopefully help also

Could be worth getting a Gait analysis/check to ensure you're wearing the correct shoes.

My best advice is to slow down significantly so you aren't getting shin splints on runs and increase your weekly mileage. After a few weeks, try running at a more ambitious pace again and see if your legs feel better.

More important than stretching is a good, running warm-up. I warm up at 6:15 pace and run ambitiously around 4:30.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.