Running thread

Does anyone in here use Garmin fitness watches?

I'm stuck between the forerunner 55 or vivoactive 4/5.

I don't mind paying extra for the vivoactive, If it warrants the extra cost.

Thanks.

Thanks.
I use Epix 2, which is a pretty high end watch. I've had other Garmins, but none of the ones you are looking at. They have loads of features, and I would recommend them. Accuracy for runs is good, and that's what you want it for I assume?

Other favourite features: they can make card payments, meaning you don't need to take money or your wallet out on a run. Can hold podcasts and Spotify playlists, and Bluetooth them to your headphones. Have many third party apps, so I store my Parkrun code on my watch, and other things like Amazon collection codes.

They record statistics for loads of different sports and activities. Highly recommended.
0a5af468c00a16a24546dbbcb929e907.jpg
2329c5bd7909338d0e37da567850d4ea.jpg

Over the past 2 years I've led a pretty sedentary lifestyle and I'm going to change it. I'm stuck to a desk most of the day but have the opportunity to run during work and get up early etc.

My legs and hips are ridiculously tight at the moment.

Should I just get up and start running? Or should I start with a stretching and walking for a few weeks?

Any suggestions and links to programmes greatly appreciated that are specific.

Note that before I started being lazy and sedentary, I followed a few hal higdons programmes and did a half marathon in 2 hours and 8 mins which I was pretty proud of. I will get back to running 3/4 times a week but don't want to injure myself going straight into it

Over the past 2 years I've led a pretty sedentary lifestyle and I'm going to change it. I'm stuck to a desk most of the day but have the opportunity to run during work and get up early etc.

Should I just get up and start running? Or should I start with a stretching and walking for a few weeks?

Note that before I started being lazy and sedentary, I followed a few hal higdons programmes and did a half marathon in 2 hours and 8 mins which I was pretty proud of. I will get back to running 3/4 times a week but don't want to injure myself going straight into it
Couch to 5K is a great way to get back into running. Build up slowly then maybe do a local Parkrun as a sort of graduation. Then just build up weekly distance slowly. Don't forget to warmup if you want to reduce the chances of injury.

As a relatively new runner myself, I also definitely recommend couch to 5k.
Remember to do some stretches before and after your runs.
Hydrate!
Walk to the start of where you intend to start running to warm up.
Don't try to do too much too soon
Build in recovery days to your training programme.
Don't beat yourself up if you don't seem to make progress straight away. Things start to click into place after a couple of months.
And just consider whether you want to start running in a heatwave. It's much easier to start when it's cooler, so maybe start off running at dawn or dusk, or hold on until Autumn!

Thanks.

ivehad the fenix 6 x forr 4 years best watch they do

fenix 7 is touchscreen and Im eyeing one up

Couch to 5k. I was the same and started it during COVID. Now 62 and ran 2 half marathons. As others have said remember to stretch, hydrated and also rest days are very important. Good luck this thread is fantastic for help and support

I use Epix 2, which is a pretty high end watch. I've had other Garmins, but none of the ones you are looking at. They have loads of features, and I would recommend them. Accuracy for runs is good, and that's what you want it for I assume?

Other favourite features: they can make card payments, meaning you don't need to take money or your wallet out on a run. Can hold podcasts and Spotify playlists, and Bluetooth them to your headphones. Have many third party apps, so I store my Parkrun code on my watch, and other things like Amazon collection codes.

They record statistics for loads of different sports and activities. Highly recommended.
0a5af468c00a16a24546dbbcb929e907.jpg
2329c5bd7909338d0e37da567850d4ea.jpg
Thanks mate. I didn't realise the forerunner 55 doesn't have a tap to pay option. Think I'm gonna purchase the EPIX. Probably got more features than I need, but it looks far superior for the extra money to the Forerunner 55.

Cheers.

Thanks mate. I didn't realise the forerunner 55 doesn't have a tap to pay option. Think I'm gonna purchase the EPIX. Probably got more features than I need, but it looks far superior for the extra money to the Forerunner 55.

Cheers.
Also look at the Fenix, which is very similar to the Epix, but with a lower resolution face screen. The Viviactive also has Garmin Pay. The three give plenty of scope for Garmin Pay over a range of price options.

Edit. Garmin Pay will support ANY debit card via an app called Curve. You pay using your virtual Curve debit card, and Curve charges the transaction to your specified debit card, regardless of whether that card is supported by Garmin Pay.
f56cf7614d0526e955b9bea1ab64f470.jpg

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.