Running thread

Keep plugging away at it mate, marathon training in this weather is tough, and as always the training has a habit of both boosting and draining your confidence in times etc.
I'm in the same boat, 9 weeks until Chicago and don't feel as though a decent time is possible, slowly resigning myself to using Chicago as a stepping stone to a better time in Valencia which is 16 weeks away.
Strength training is boring, but helps so much, I've just started uping it AGAIN this week, hopefully don't fall off the wagon with it after another week but it just bores the shit out of me

Cheers Gaz. Also I have done my usual trick of never following a training plan and just running when I feel like it, and then next thing you know it’s 9 weeks away.

Still hopefully will enjoy both of them, not beat myself up about times and use both runs as building blocks for next year.

Valencia definitely a possibility for next year as I hear it’s super quick. Looks like you have a great few months of running ahead of you.

Managed my first 10 miler for over a year this morning, in 1:25. Would have been a little quicker but had to dive into a shop and get a cold bottle of water to chuck on my head as it was pretty warm this morning. Chuffed with that though
Brilliant mate!! You must be over the moon. It’s a fantastic feeling when you push the envelope a little further.

Cheers Gaz. Also I have done my usual trick of never following a training plan and just running when I feel like it, and then next thing you know it’s 9 weeks away.

Still hopefully will enjoy both of them, not beat myself up about times and use both runs as building blocks for next year.

Valencia definitely a possibility for next year as I hear it’s super quick. Looks like you have a great few months of running ahead of you.
Marathon Plans are all well and good for some folk, but sticking to them can be tough, especially in summer, I've kinda ditched my marathon plan with runna, a mixture of CBA and having family/work commitments etc, none of us are the same so generic plans are not 100% the answer(that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)
My theory on back to back Mara's is you always go faster on the second mara, it's worked for me 4/5 times now, so I reckon you will have a decent time waiting for you on the 2nd marathon.
Aye Valencia is rapid, but so is Chicago,

I did the Rochdale half last year I think, and that was an out and back mainly on the canal, each to there own but it bored the shit out of me, flat same mile after mile, maybe it gets better if yer carry on past sunny rochdale
No I get that, same as running along a beach promenade. Great once but then without any descent/ascent, same view it’s pretty soul destroying.

I did a race along a now disused railway line, it was torturous for about 6k where all I could see was a straight path and bushes either side.

Are you building for the full canalathon? 100km
Gaz, I have two chronic illnesses and still recovering from shoulder socket fracture... so no I am targeting the 50K first and then see if I like ultras or not. With my illnesses the fueling and energy release are the hardest part when I have done marathons before. "Baby steps". I am stepping away from Marathons as I will aim for times and kill myself, where as ultras is just about finishing them.

Gaz, I have two chronic illnesses and still recovering from shoulder socket fracture... so no I am targeting the 50K first and then see if I like ultras or not. With my illnesses the fueling and energy release are the hardest part when I have done marathons before. "Baby steps". I am stepping away from Marathons as I will aim for times and kill myself, where as ultras is just about finishing them.
Hope it goes well for you mate, obstacles are there to be overcome.
Your totally right about the ultra game, very few folk if any actually run the full distance and the pace is a lot more relaxed than a full lung buster of a marathon, it's a totally different game

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.