Running thread

Christ, it's tough out there in the heat. Did 11.5 gentle miles mid-morning and I now feel like I've raced a marathon. 5 weeks ago I ran an 89-minute half; now I don't even feel like I could even complete a half!
The heat can be a bit of a leveller if you don't get your hydration right. A lot of people find that their sweat becomes more salty as the temperature picks up, but they don't always increase their electrolyte intake to compensate which can cause a noticeable drop off in performance.

Christ, it's tough out there in the heat. Did 11.5 gentle miles mid-morning and I now feel like I've raced a marathon. 5 weeks ago I ran an 89-minute half; now I don't even feel like I could even complete a half!
Just 5k today after a couple of weeks off due to other things going on. Struggled on the 3rd mile but 24.24 is ok today. Start the Manchester Marathon training regime now and build up slowly.

I managed 11k this morning starting at 8:30am. It was starting to warm up nicely by the end, and a pleasing time for me.

I'm trying to do four or five runs a week, mainly at least 10k, with some 5ks thrown in. I'm running about 40k most weeks. I hope to maintain this right up to the week before the Manchester Marathon, adding some long runs in August and September, culminating with a 30k run (or more if I can make it) around mid-September. I'll rest for two or three days before the event.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? It will be my first marathon.

Also out of curiosity, what happens if you need the toilet during a marathon? (I don't think I'll need one - I've never been caught short whilst running).
40115f33948a6230ddabcf67fef9b30e.jpg

I managed 11k this morning starting at 8:30am. It was starting to warm up nicely by the end, and a pleasing time for me.

I'm trying to do four or five runs a week, mainly at least 10k, with some 5ks thrown in. I'm running about 40k most weeks. I hope to maintain this right up to the week before the Manchester Marathon, adding some long runs in August and September, culminating with a 30k run (or more if I can make it) around mid-September. I'll rest for two or three days before the event.

Also out of curiosity, what happens if you need the toilet during a marathon? (I don't think I'll need one - I've never been caught short whilst running).
There should be toilets on the route.

Plan sounds about right without knowing details. The weekly long run is the key. Other runs can be missed but not the long one. Keep building it up slowly to the 20 ish mile mark, 2 or 3 weeks before marathon and you cracked it.

Rest is important for 3 days before as stated. Maybe a gentle mile run 2 days before to loosen up if feeling anxious.

There should be toilets on the route.

Plan sounds about right without knowing details. The weekly long run is the key. Other runs can be missed but not the long one. Keep building it up slowly to the 20 ish mile mark, 2 or 3 weeks before marathon and you cracked it.

Rest is important for 3 days before as stated. Maybe a gentle mile run 2 days before to loosen up if feeling anxious.
Thanks for this.

That is the plan really. Plenty of runs between now and then, mainly on flat ground. I did the Bluemoon virtual half marathon a couple of months ago, and I felt ok after it. That's why I signed up for the full marathon - my first, and probably my only marathon.

To be absolutely frank with you mate, this is a recipe for a disastrous marathon. If you follow this plan, I'd be amazed to see you even get close to finishing the distance.

Please, please, please look up how to taper your training for the marathon. This is a vital aspect of your preparation. I would suggest a three-week taper and definitely not "two or three days"!

Certainly need to taper. I usually peaked at longest run of 22 miles 3 weeks before marathon and then cut down weekly mileage and longest run....something like 12 miles LSR then 8 mile LSR on final two weekends. And maybe final 3 days no running.

To be absolutely frank with you mate, this is a recipe for a disastrous marathon. If you follow this plan, I'd be amazed to see you even get close to finishing the distance.

Please, please, please look up how to taper your training for the marathon. This is a vital aspect of your preparation. I would suggest a three-week taper and definitely not "two or three days"!
Thanks for the warning @Stuuuuuu. I will follow a plan nearer the time. I've got a marathon training book, and at the moment I'm trying to do around 40k per week. But I'm also trying to do some of the other suggested sessions like some core training, tempo, progressive runs, some hills (though I've not done the specific hill session yet with 10 repeats), and a few sprints.

This is what I'll be trying to follow from August.

bd0f1842fbc9b1bc309320fe6c6cfef8.jpg

Thanks for the warning @Stuuuuuu. I will follow a plan nearer the time. I've got a marathon training book, and at the moment I'm trying to do around 40k per week. But I'm also trying to do some of the other suggested sessions like some core training, tempo, progressive runs, some hills (though I've not done the specific hill session yet with 10 repeats), and a few sprints.

This is what I'll be trying to follow from August.

bd0f1842fbc9b1bc309320fe6c6cfef8.jpg
I seem to recall that you found this book in a jumble sale or charity shop a few months back?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.