Running thread

That’s brill. Will he do the junior 2K parkruns too?
I’m always amazed when I see youngsters doing a 5km parkrun. At that age the longest race they are allowed to do on the track by UK/England athletics is 600m, and the longest cross country course I’ve seen for primary aged is only 1.2km!

Not done Heaton Park yet but it’s on the ‘to do’ list for this year.

Hardly ever been under 24, so I’d be very pleased with your time! Losing a bit of excess weight would probably make it a lot easier to achieve though tbf ;-)
He’s done the 2k one on a Sunday but felt it was for the little kids lol so be mithering to do this one. He’s looking forward to next week already.
Wearing his mums old garmin watch helped as he kept looking how he was doing she said.

He’s done the 2k one on a Sunday but felt it was for the little kids lol so be mithering to do this one. He’s looking forward to next week already.
Wearing his mums old garmin watch helped as he kept looking how he was doing she said.
The 2k junior Parkrun is for the little ones. Take my daughter every Sunday and she’s 6, but my lad who’s 13 is now banned by his running coach from doing it. He did northern cross country champs up in sedgefield today which was really tough and brutal but a great event. His race was 3k, 140 u13s all charging but he did great. It’s a cracking sport for them to get into.

Just completed a steady state run. Trying to run more in zone 2 to utilize fat oxidation for the marathon.

My last marathon I was at 185bpm in the first 2km which is about 90% for me which is too high. I gave up on zone 2 in my last marathon block and just went off of feel.

It's the same issue I've always had with zone 2 though that it just feels so slow. 5k PB is 19:53 but a steady state 5k would be 31:00.

Anyone got any ideas on how it takes to start to see improvements?

I watched this a while ago and I fully understand the benefits but I would imagine that it takes a lot of time and commitment before you start seeing big improvements (as shown in the video).

I've never been able to stick with it because my form goes to shit when I try running too slow. In fact, after reading your post, I thought that I'd try a slowish one this morning. 13km at 5:31/km pace and my average heart rate was 148 bpm. Quite an enjoyable run so I'll throw a slow one like that in each week from now on.

One thing to consider is what you're using to monitor your heart rate. Mine was off my watch (Coros Pace 3 which apparently is pretty accurate) but you'll get a more accurate reading when using a chest strap.

One thing to consider is what you're using to monitor your heart rate. Mine was off my watch (Coros Pace 3 which apparently is pretty accurate) but you'll get a more accurate reading when using a chest strap.
Just to play devil's advocate on the chest straps, I've tried out 2 different straps and the hr was exactly the same as my watch(garmin fenix)

Just to play devil's advocate on the chest straps, I've tried out 2 different straps and the hr was exactly the same as my watch(garmin fenix)
To be honest, I've never used one so I was just going off what I've read! My old Garmin was always way off - seemed to be the same HR whether I was running a 5km PB or a slow trot - but I'm seeing more varied readings with my new Coros.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.