Running

I ran Cross Country in high school. Kept it up as a hobby through my 20's. Gave it up during my 30's because of graduate school and work commitments. Started back up a couple years ago and realized I had missed it. Good time to be alone and ponder things.

By the time your 53 if you are anything like me, you'll be in need of new joints all over the place.

My advice as an ex professional frogman (who had to be superfit back in the day) try this.

First bin the running.

But to get your cardio vascular work out from sports with less impact on your joints try, cycling which is great, as is swimming.

Try this exercise for swimming:

We used to call them unders and overs, and they will make you fitter than ever, your lung capacity will increase no end.

So you swim a length of your local baths with front crawl as fast as you can (overs), then you relax whilst you swim the return length back underwater (unders). Repeat by however many you want, however as an ex diver, I got to the situation were I could swim a mile on top of the water and a mile underneath of the water.

That will take you to different level of fitness trust me.

However if you really want to punish your body by running, then to get really fit try "Fartlek" running. Which basically is jog a lampost and sprint a lampost.

Good luck!!
Fartlek ??

I'm missing running at the moment, as about 6 weeks ago I tripped over a tree root while training for the Scottish C2C (running, cycling and kayaking). I broke a finger and gave myself a "boxer's fracture". I had to have a plate etc put in my hand and am still wearing a splint part-time. I can't run or cycle for a while still, and am trying to keep fit by doing long, brisk walks. It's been great in the lovely weather lately, but getting frustrating...

Fartlek ??

It's a Swedish term meaning "Speed Play" and is used by runners as a training technique. When I was a professional frogman and the nature of that work physically, you had to be able to undergo extreme physical endurance if you were working really hard underwater.

Anyone who dives knows that you can't "beat the lung" which in laymans terms means you can't get air/gas through the demand valve any faster than it was manufactured for. Also "pendulem breathing" was needed to ensure that all the CO2 is completely flushed out of the valve before breathing in again. So no matter how hard you were working you had to control your breathing.

So to acheive this when we were training, running wise we found just jogging/running for 10 miles or 20 miles wasn't sufficient enough as your body just drops into a rhythmn. Ok that gets you fit sort of but not fit enough for the work I had to do.

However Fartlek training totally cocks you up, as your body never gets a chance to get into a rhythmn and it makes you far fitter than just normal running.

In laymans terms start off running a couple of miles, however sprint a lampost as fast as you can, then at the next lampost drop into a jog. Repeat until you've completed the run.

If you are swimming try swimming a mile by doing a length underwater followed by swimming back front crawl as fast as you can then repeat 72 times.

Back then I was as fit as I ever was. Give it a go.

Last edited:
Ran a bit at school but took it up in my early 40’s after giving up Sunday League footy. Down to 21 mins (5K) 45 mins (10k) , 1:40 for a HM, 4:00 for a full but at my age (48) am now getting ever more frequent injuries. Might have to add some swimming into the CV training…

Ran a bit at school but took it up in my early 40’s after giving up Sunday League footy. Down to 21 mins (5K) 45 mins (10k) , 1:40 for a HM, 4:00 for a full but at my age (48) am now getting ever more frequent injuries. Might have to add some swimming into the CV training…

Going for the 35 minute barrier at the Park Run tomorrow. Or at least beat my retirement due to severe chaffage at the 1k mark 2 weeks ago.

I wish I could get in to it but I get so bored just running. Only way i can get any exercise done is if a ball is involved. Actually dont mind cycling too much.

I would recommend running to everyone, regardless of age or level of fitness. It has kept me sane over a very difficult last six months.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.