Russian invasion of Ukraine

My one and only comment on Brexit in this thread
It is a widely held belief in Europe that Angela Merkel is equally responsible for Brexit as she wouldn't concede on a couple of EU reforms
If she'd allowed Cameron a small win then there would have been no Brexit

It wasn't a small win he was after, it was a significant shift in the right to free movement for EU members, one of the EU fundamentals which we had already had a massive win with in the past ( not being in Schengen )

well yeah, the Russians cutting off the main supply line of gas the EU uses is the issue at hand. Germany killing all there nuclear reactors and relying on France's excess of nuclear power was also a massive mistake.

The UK being in the shared system wouldn't have fixed that. but it would have alleviated it a bit for both us and them. the EU may have been able to get the gas storage to 90% rather than 80% for example. EU announcing there storage getting to 80% resulted in gas prices dropping significantly. imagine if that was 90%.

The UK will run out of gas this winter, (I have no doubt about it and I've even bought a camper stove to cook with when it happens). we don't have supplies or storage for our needs in winter. if we were still part of that shared system the load is shared. we, and the northern EU countries may still run out in winter but we'd have been in a better place due to the EU storage capacity than we are now. At least we would have been hooked into the shared electric grid etc as when we run out of gas, our electricity is following suit ( rolling power cuts ) as lots of our power stations are gas powered.
Jeez.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.