Russian invasion of Ukraine

The emotional reaction to Macron’s words is understandable but, in the long run, misguided. Of course we would never have given Hitler guarantees but we gave them to Germany and to rescued democrats such as Adenauer.
The West’s guarantee was its presence on German soil, the establishment of NATO and the Marshall plan. This was the opposite of the post WW1 policy which failed with disastrous results.
We may work towards a policy for rapprochement with Russia and encourage a change of leadership as a first step. With Russia’s economy in ruins, it would make no sense just to bang the drum shouting Russia must pay. The cost of the reconstruction of Ukraine is now put at 600 billion euros and rising. Russia could not hope to meet such a bill.
To those who say France and Germany are just looking to their own interest, I would reply that that is exactly what they do already within the EU. If Ukraine joins, plus ca change.
When the war is won, we must react with our heads and not just with revengeful hearts. Russia will end with much longer borders with NATO than it had before and we would do well to ensure that the Russian bear is not too resentful and fearful. We do not want a repeat.

Agree.

It's also important, however unpalatable, to keep diplomacy alive because, unlike WW2, a total military victory over Russia is not on the cards. Nobody is marching on Moscow. So eventually, there will be a diplomatic settlement.

Some people on here believe Macron is in some way betraying Ukraine and knee-jerk negative responses to everything French. Personally, I've no idea what his true agenda is, and whether his approach is overall helpful or not. But it's certainly not obviously wrong or bad to me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.