Russian invasion of Ukraine

Apparently the cost of an intercept missile is massively more than the things they are shooting down. Part of the problem with the level of tech involved is the cost. Like a war of attrition where the cost of ammo is the limiting factor in how long either side can keep going.
It’s not a simple calculation, you need to also add in the cost of damage to critical infrastructure when comparing costs and however much you add to the value of a human life.

It’s not a simple calculation, you need to also add in the cost of damage to critical infrastructure when comparing costs and however much you add to the value of a human life.
True. But there is an element of this war where hi tech projectiles are making the difference and the ability of both sides to keep up supply is questionable. I would suggest it's in the interest of western governments to provide whatever it takes.

I did post last night,but deleted it,so I will post again,fuck it.

There is 2 Patriot batteries in Poland,they have been there for about a month.
1 battery is 8 Systems,that fire 4 missiles each,obviously 32 missiles per battery.
So obviously 16 Systems.
So I think the Patriot Systems will be with Ukraine very soon.

Slava Ukraini.
Does the Patriot protect against the new Iranian missiles?
No point in using it against drones is there?

True. But there is an element of this war where hi tech projectiles are making the difference and the ability of both sides to keep up supply is questionable. I would suggest it's in the interest of western governments to provide whatever it takes.
This is where kinetic energy antimissile and directed energy systems start to make sense. Yes there is a big upfront cost but the cost per shot is next to nothing. I wouldn’t be surprised if they roll out the THOR anti drone system for some real world testing.

The biggest issue with taking out drones is the detection and targeting due to their size and significant use of plastic in their construction, but MIMO Phased Array radars can do this and track multiple small targets.

This is where kinetic energy antimissile and directed energy systems start to make sense. Yes there is a big upfront cost but the cost per shot is next to nothing. I wouldn’t be surprised if they roll out the THOR anti drone system for some real world testing.

The biggest issue with taking out drones is the detection and targeting due to their size and significant use of plastic in their construction, but MIMO Phased Array radars can do this and track multiple small targets.
Things will have to change, a patriot missile is $2 or 3m a pop depending on the source - this is from earlier in the year:

Gen. David Perkins, commander of the U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command, gave a brief account of the incident at an Army symposium on March 13 in Huntsville, Ala.

“We have a very close ally of ours that was dealing with an adversary using” small quadcopters, Perkins said, indicating the situation was not a drill. “They shot it down with a Patriot missile.”

“The Patriot won,” he added with a grin. “That quadcopter that cost 200 bucks from Amazon.com did not stand a chance against the Patriot.”

A disproportionate response? No doubt. But that’s exactly why Perkins brought up the anecdote in his talk, which focused on how military commanders should deal with new threats.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.