Russian invasion of Ukraine

Part of The major breadbasket of the world just got flooded out, and next year it and the rest of the basket will be a desert - not looking good for most of the world. Putin just declared war on the rest of the world.
I wonder if food prices will keep on rising as a consequence of this? Inflation ain't coming down anytime soon

I wonder if food prices will keep on rising as a consequence of this? Inflation ain't coming down anytime soon
It will come down, briefly, until the ramifications of this dam loss filter through. I’d suggest buying grain futures

It will come down, briefly, until the ramifications of this dam loss filter through. I’d suggest buying grain futures
Can't see why this will have much impact on food prices personally, virtually none of the land flooded is particularly agricultural (small farms at most), and a lot of it was marshland a longside the river.

A good portion of the grain growing area is north of the Dnipro river on ground higher than the dam itself, so there won't be any significant impact there, or in russian held areas which are further east, so won't be affected either.

Yes there were/are drainage channels for irrigation to the south, mostly towards Crimea, at the moment if that fails it affects russia.

Can't see why this will have much impact on food prices personally, virtually none of the land flooded is particularly agricultural (small farms at most), and a lot of it was marshland a longside the river.

A good portion of the grain growing area is north of the Dnipro river on ground higher than the dam itself, so there won't be any significant impact there, or in russian held areas which are further east, so won't be affected either.

Yes there were/are drainage channels for irrigation to the south, mostly towards Crimea, at the moment if that fails it affects russia.
That's good to hear.

I'm not averse to a stocks punt here and there, but I'm not the type who seeks to profit from the misfortunes of war. Could be a good shout for someone, but not for me.

If you knew a large scale offensive is coming,why would you wipe out your own troops and defence lines?
I know they are thick,but fuck me,it's just insane.M.

I mean obviously they moved their own out in advance of blowing the dam….

It’s a pretty clear trading of territory for time - realistically it’s going to be 6-8 weeks before Ukraine can think of advancing in Kherson now, to set a temporary dam, allow the waters to subside and the area to dry out.

In this time Russia can heavily reinforce the area, making a future advance here extremely unattractive, effectively narrowing the front and reducing Ukraines options to break through deep into Crimea…

Clearly from a purely tactical standpoint, blowing the dam for an army in disarray and not exactly squeamish about a war crime like the Russians makes sense.

I mean obviously they moved their own out in advance of blowing the dam….

It’s a pretty clear trading of territory for time - realistically it’s going to be 6-8 weeks before Ukraine can think of advancing in Kherson now, to set a temporary dam, allow the waters to subside and the area to dry out.
I'm not convinced, it's not impossible that the dam just "failed", especially if they raised the level as much as was shown earlier in the thread, according to that the level had gone up 3 1/2 m since January, that's a huge increase in pressure.

bbc tonight showed an image from a few days ago, with what appeared to be a breach already. Ukraine shelled it when trying to take Kherson back last year, to prevent russia reinforcing, the roadway had gone back then, so they tried and failed to reinforce using pontoon bridges. I doubt it's had any maintenance since then, there's a video earlier today with commentary saying there were no clear explosions, so it might just have failed, though I doubt we'll ever find out.

This Dam being blown is likely to be catastrophic for the entire region. Not only will many lose their lives, thousands being displaced , electricity supplies disrupted, but water supplies will be cut not only for drinking water but irrigation for thousands of hectares of crops. Then you add in the environmental disaster. Its a nightmare scenario and will be for many years to come.
I heard mention today that the blowing of the nova kakhova dam is to be be classed as a war crime, but hasn't this tactic been used over the centuries by various combatants. The Americans in Vietnam and korea, syria in the last decade, Chinese blowing the dykes of the yanksie river in the 30's causing death and destruction on a gigantuan scale.

Ourselves during operation chastise, attacking the sorpe eider and moenhe dams in an attept to halt the nazi war machine and hasten the end of the ww2.

Wars a messy business however you call it, but god speed the Ukrainian armed forces in reclaming back their land from the Russian occupier. Slava Ukraine and heyom slava .. onward to victory.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced, it's not impossible that the dam just "failed", especially if they raised the level as much as was shown earlier in the thread, according to that the level had gone up 3 1/2 m since January, that's a huge increase in pressure.

bbc tonight showed an image from a few days ago, with what appeared to be a breach already. Ukraine shelled it when trying to take Kherson back last year, to prevent russia reinforcing, the roadway had gone back then, so they tried and failed to reinforce using pontoon bridges. I doubt it's had any maintenance since then, there's a video earlier today with commentary saying there were no clear explosions, so it might just have failed, though I doubt we'll ever find out.
I've watched a video of a mine going g off underwater that's been swept down the river so was definitely mined..

Also there's graphs with the depth of the dam and it drained massively at one point (to plant the charges) then the dam blew as soon as it had been at its highest point for maximum damage.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.