Russian invasion of Ukraine

Both Ukraine and Russia are saying it. But yeah.

Ukr secret service SBU now reported as claiming the attack to AFP press agency, using Naval drones.

If true, it's astonishing a country effectively without a Navy can conduct such an attack on what must be the most heavily defended piece of infrastructure under Russian control. I would have guessed storm shadow or sabotage.

Seems the Russian appetite for total incompetence is undimmed by 18 months of losing a war.

[edit: quote attributed to SBU from the Guardian Today’s attack on the Crimean bridge is a special operation of the SBU and the navy … It was difficult to reach the bridge, but in the end it was possible to do it.]

Yes, plus Russia has no deposits of its own. Quite a bit about the 'long game' re technology also. The other big take from the series for me is how we, the West, have basically outsourced the processing of the elements to China. It's cheaper to do it there, a country with little environmental control than in Europe. The Chinese now effectively control the market as it's impossible to complete on price.

It's pretty much entirely that.

The West's outsourcing also outsources the filthy emissions from processing the ore to China - so it goes on China's figures.

China's policy over the last 30 years has been astonishingly productive - they've annexed whole technical areas by undercutting on price, bought up national interests (they own pretty much all the hydroelectric in Venezuela, for example, plus investments across Africa).

It’s actually absurd.

Absolutely.

Though in another world, had the West rolled over and Russia been successful in its invasion, opening a corridor to Kaliningrad is exactly the sort of next step that Putin could have threatened, doubtless together with attempts to destabilise the Baltics from inside.

This is why it's not just morally right, but also in our own practical best interests to do everything possible, as fast as possible, to support Ukraine defeating this fascist invasion.

It’s actually absurd.

It is absurd. but when you think that Post Coup Wagner is now not tied to Russia at all in terms of Government or Military it could be classed as an attack by a 3rd party and not "linked to Russia"

It would however get Belarus flattened.

Not suggesting it will happen, it was be utter suicide. Just pointing out that it could be doe this way without direct NATO vs Russia fighting.

What is the purpose of the attack on the bridge?

I understand if it was to do major damage but Russia will have that repaired in a few days and it's still operational.

I'd have though it would make more sense to leave it be until they are ready to blow it properly.

What is the purpose of the attack on the bridge?

I understand if it was to do major damage but Russia will have that repaired in a few days and it's still operational.

I'd have though it would make more sense to leave it be until they are ready to blow it properly.

Maybe they had hoped to take more out than they did?

Maybe just to prove they can to concern the Russians. This was after all one of the most protected bits of infrastructure around.

Maybe they will keep chipping away at it. A bridge like that isn’t going to be easy to take down without demolition charges on the feet.

Yes, plus Russia has no deposits of its own. Quite a bit about the 'long game' re technology also. The other big take from the series for me is how we, the West, have basically outsourced the processing of the elements to China. It's cheaper to do it there, a country with little environmental control than in Europe. The Chinese now effectively control the market as it's impossible to complete on price.
No deposits of its own? They have loads - they just want more.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.