Russian invasion of Ukraine

Absolutely.

Though in another world, had the West rolled over and Russia been successful in its invasion, opening a corridor to Kaliningrad is exactly the sort of next step that Putin could have threatened, doubtless together with attempts to destabilise the Baltics from inside.

This is why it's not just morally right, but also in our own practical best interests to do everything possible, as fast as possible, to support Ukraine defeating this fascist invasion.
Whilst supporting Ukraine is undoubtedly laudable it is also very much in our own strategic self-interest to ensure that Russia gets nothing out of this invasion.

It is absurd. but when you think that Post Coup Wagner is now not tied to Russia at all in terms of Government or Military it could be classed as an attack by a 3rd party and not "linked to Russia"

It would however get Belarus flattened.

Not suggesting it will happen, it was be utter suicide. Just pointing out that it could be doe this way without direct NATO vs Russia fighting.
Fair enough, but the notion that Wagner is going to attack a NATO country is still absurd. As you say, they’d be wiped out in days, possibly hours.

What is the purpose of the attack on the bridge?

I understand if it was to do major damage but Russia will have that repaired in a few days and it's still operational.

I'd have though it would make more sense to leave it be until they are ready to blow it properly.

Every bit of disruption to Russian logistics is worthwhile.

Plus it diverts leadership attention and focus from the frontlines.

Plus it will divert more resources into defending against further attacks.

Plus it will sow further division in the Russian leadership and further undermine Putin's authority; given that he's suffered a mutiny and now another humiliation, why should the oligarchs believe it remains in their interests to support him?

It's an exccellent ivestment from Ukraine.

I understand if it was to do major damage but Russia will have that repaired in a few days and it's still operational.

I'd have though it would make more sense to leave it be until they are ready to blow it properly.
As pointed out by @BlueAnorak russian logistics are going via rail bridge.

The road bridge has been hit (again) and I think if you can hit the bridge at all you could also hit the rail bridge at a lower segment (to have a strong impact).

If we assume the road bridge was indeed the target, why that?
Maybe it's another call to get more civilists off Crimea (and not more crazy summer tourists on it) because they might be in the way of UA attacks with possible casualties being used for russian propaganda.

Blowing up the road bridge completely now would leave civilists cut off if they don't want to travel across south Ukraine (Melitopol).

Speculation all the lot, but I'd see it as another call to leave Ukranian soil before the bridge will say goodbye in larger parts - road and rail.

After all it would be preferable to see all russians
leave Crimea and THEN cut off the connection (which won't happen for reasons of status behaviour).

Russia has a stockpile of cluster munitions and will consider using them against Ukraine “if they are used against us,” President Vladimir Putin said.

Putin’s comments come just days after Ukraine received a delivery of American-made cluster munitions, though a top Ukrainian military official told CNN they had not yet been used.

“Russia has a sufficient supply of various types of cluster munitions,” the Russian leader said during an interview with a pro-Kremlin journalist.

“If they are used against us, we reserve the right to mirror actions.”
They have been using them against civillians for months , more lies by him

Rascist Logistics + The attack on Karkiv last night for a start. Two bloody big craters.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.