Russian invasion of Ukraine

The Indo-Russian alliance is deeper than you realize, and they are trusted more than the Americans. We're kind of indifferent to Ukraine. So, there is a natural inclination to side with Russia in this conflict. At the start of the war, our media was focused on criticizing Zelensky for his NATO ambitions, highlighting the referendum in 2014 about the people in Donbas wanting away, their people being oppressed by Kiev, Ukrainian snipers assassinating journalists there... basically the full Russian narrative was drilled to our public. The Western journalists and political think-tanks who came to discuss in our national channels couldn't make any difference, their shots against India's stance weren't well received either.
I reiterate that the public don't want our government to take sides in this conflict or isolate Russia. We've a long-standing policy of non-alignment which has worked well for us so far.

This is from 2 days ago.

Thanks. So generally speaking they just got a one sided views so the non alignment policy hasn’t really worked well in reality as the view is aligned with Russia.

The only reason Ukraine started to look to NATO was because Russia invaded in 2014. Before then there was very little appetite to join.

The referendum was held in occupied territories and run under gun point.

I don't contest that, but to the average Indian Joe, Zelensky is a clown for dragging his country into war and Putin is a true friend and has no other choice. That narrative isn't going to change until something catastrophic happens like Putin firing a nuclear bomb (hope not) or something.
I agree with the general sentiment in India, that Russia is considered a friend and unless they do something truly catastrophic (or side with China in an Indo Chinese quarrel) it is unlikely that it will change in the near future. My (not so well educated) understanding is that Russia (USSR) sided with India in a few critical situation where as the West largely ignored us between the independence (1947) and early nineties (opening to the free market), especially in the border disputes and wars with Pakistan. Indians still look at Russia with this nostalgia.
I don't think Indians have any special affection for Putin, other than those die hard supporters of Modi, who projects himself as close friends with Trump and Putin. I also don't think Indians care(or know) anymore about Ukraine or Zelensky than, say wars in Afghanistan or Iraq, or the Israeli aggression in Palestine. While it is understandable people int the West care more about Ukraine than about those other conflicts, for most people in India it is just another war zone.

Thanks. So generally speaking they just got a one sided views so the non alignment policy hasn’t really worked well in reality as the view is aligned with Russia.

The only reason Ukraine started to look to NATO was because Russia invaded in 2014. Before then there was very little appetite to join.

The referendum was held in occupied territories and run under gun point.
Strange considering how they love people having a choice but they wont let Kashmir have their own free choice to be independent or join Pakistan. After all only 20% of the population of that area see's themselves as Indian. Thats also the same with a number of those border regions.

Im sure they would be welcoming for the Chinese to march over the border in Arunachal Pradesh, claim it theirs and then have a sham election.

Its nearly 80yrs since the British left India so plenty of time to redraw those lines which were so poorly drawn in the first place.

Last edited:
Belgium will supply
1f1fa-1f1e6.svg
Ukraine with 30 F-16s, but until 2028 - Deputy Head of the Office of the President of Ukraine Zhovkva

These f16 numbers keep appearing on line ?

Thay could do with appearing in the skies over Ukraine, been promised for 2 years now.

Its the increasing, city dwelling, middle class within the country who have had the benefit of education and in many cases are employed by large businesses in the west (Accenture, Cognizant, IBM, Capgemini) who should be questioning what's going off in the wider world as their prosperity is directly linked to global events.
As long as the economy is growing and the middle class keep making money, from growing financial markets and so on, I don't think they worry too much about war in a "faraway" place like Ukraine anymore than the wars say in middle east.

The Indo-Russian alliance is deeper than you realize, and they are trusted more than the Americans. We're kind of indifferent to Ukraine. So, there is a natural inclination to side with Russia in this conflict. At the start of the war, our media was focused on criticizing Zelensky for his NATO ambitions, highlighting the referendum in 2014 about the people in Donbas wanting away, their people being oppressed by Kiev, Ukrainian snipers assassinating journalists there... basically the full Russian narrative was drilled to our public. The Western journalists and political think-tanks who came to discuss in our national channels couldn't make any difference, their shots against India's stance weren't well received either.
I reiterate that the public don't want our government to take sides in this conflict or isolate Russia. We've a long-standing policy of non-alignment which has worked well for us so far.

This is from 2 days ago.

What a great alliance, very trustworthy. https://indianexpress.com/article/c...ack-frontline-punjab-manrussian-army-9449039/

Letting another country kill your own citizens, pathetically weak.

What a great alliance, very trustworthy. https://indianexpress.com/article/c...ack-frontline-punjab-manrussian-army-9449039/

Letting another country kill your own citizens, pathetically weak.
Yes, 4 people from my state Kerala were also recruited, the one who got injured and returned recounted how he was duped into a job with high salary and after landing there, got forced into the battlefield. As the article says, Modi has negotiated for the release of all Indians. I was speaking to a Nepalese security person when I went for my car service (in Malaysia) recently, and he said there were so many from his country who were offered exorbitant sums of money to participate in war, many have died and those who want to return are not being allowed to. It's clear the Russians are recruiting from everywhere they can, but not sure if the middlemen who offered false jobs were under the orders of Putin.

Yes, 4 people from my state Kerala were also recruited, the one who got injured and returned recounted how he was duped into a job with high salary and after landing there, got forced into the battlefield. As the article says, Modi has negotiated for the release of all Indians. I was speaking to a Nepalese security person when I went for my car service (in Malaysia) recently, and he said there were so many from his country who were offered exorbitant sums of money to participate in war, many have died and those who want to return are not being allowed to. It's clear the Russians are recruiting from everywhere they can, but not sure if the middlemen who offered false jobs were under the orders of Putin.
Perhaps if your media and politicians reported things as they are instead if licking Putins backside. Then your people wouldn't be so easily duped into this illegal war.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.