Scariest away day following City

I'm still convinced to this day that the second half was fixed for safety reasons. I was in the middle of the kop with my dad & the atmosphere was toxic as fuck at halftime.

A 3-2 defeat kept us in a better mood after the game... gallant fightback etc.

Typical City summed up in half a dozen games at the end of that season culminating in a mega orgasm.
You may have seen me and a mate at half time halfway up the floodlights. Coppers trying to get us down but no joy until my mates Dad turned up out of the blue.

Another story,First time to Liverpool, we knew it would be rough, went on the special, think about 1974, got off at Lime street, we had about 600 on the special, a fleet of double decker busses waiting, set off our bus but ended up on its own, we got dropped of near to the ground, no one really knew where we were, we started walking in the direction the conductor sent us, 50 to 60 of us, very much like moss side, terraced houses etc, as we walked past a street adjacent to us, we saw a large gang, 150 or so, we thought they were City fans, who may have come on the other busses, but we were wrong and got chassed towards Anfield, my first ever sight of the ground, was big white letters The Kop, we all realised we were in the wrong place and kept running behind there main stand by now being chased by what seemed like every one, as we got to the Anfield road end there was another large gang waiting for City fans trying to get in the ground, we were slapped on several occasion's, just scrambling to get in, once in the ground we gathered in the top left hand corner, surrounded by the Police, no segregation, we all shit ourselves, but that is how things were. After walking back to Lime Street after the game we were lucky, when we got back, many fans had been battered, one lad had a spike in his back, he was taken to hospital.
So if you did go to away games in those days it was dangerous, no one is idolising it, but just how it was, a tit for tat situation.

Stoke away in 1996, Alan Ball’s last game, was a bit tasty near the station towards the Old Victoria Ground.

I HAD planned to go to Leeds away in1974.
Sat at home on the Friday night listening to the radio when a caller came on and asked for a big shout out for all the Rangers fans going to Manchester
for the (friendly). So I thought I could go and take a look in town in the morning and then get the train from Victoria to Leeds.
got into town on the 99 bus at about 10:30 am, F*** Me Rangers were were everywhere, got outside Woolworths and met a fellow City fan who was also a big Rangers fan, next minute four jocks came out of Woolies they knew the lad I was talking to and promptly withdrew a bottle of scotch from pocket and offered him a drink then to me I politely refused but he said in a real deep guttural " DRINK " I could not refuse took a swig and went to hand it back he again in a even deeper voice " I SAID DRINK" I had no choice but to neck at least half the bottle.
I (still being able to think straight before the said alcohol started to work ) decided that Leeds away with all that scotch inside was not a good idea, and so tagged along with them off up Oldham St. Went in a few of the local haunts and managed to keep off the beer, now it all started to get a bit hazy ended up in a pub (cannot remember the name) Jocks were playing pool in the vault when all of a sudden they started fighting each other with the pool cues!! We all ended up outside with cues and a big round plastic ball full of crisps playing hockey down Oldham St.
Eventually got back to Piccadilly gardens, it was F****** Mayhem!!! hundreds of pissed up Jocks jumping on any bus they thought went to the Old shithouse. Got to the ground ( do not remember how) and went into the Scoreboard end. So here's me 16 years old silk City scarf on amongst thousands of pissed up Jocks!!! I had lost the lads I was with and even though there were a few "fucking english bastard" remarks I became a Jock for the day.
So many confused alcohol blurred memories....
Photographer pitchside sat on a metal box when all of a sudden a F****** big knife clattered against his seat!! He promptly got up looked at the knife opened his box put the camera away and walked off and out of the ground.
Looking towards the stretford end it was every 10 minutes Rangers fans attempted to get in and got bounced back down. In the end they got into the stretford end paddock and held there ground despite numerous charges from the scum.
As a note to all this Lou Macari was down to play in the match tuned up saw all the rangers fans went in to see Tommy Docherty and said "fuck that there is no way I am going to step on the pitch because if I do I will be dead."

Another story,First time to Liverpool, we knew it would be rough, went on the special, think about 1974, got off at Lime street, we had about 600 on the special, a fleet of double decker busses waiting, set off our bus but ended up on its own, we got dropped of near to the ground, no one really knew where we were, we started walking in the direction the conductor sent us, 50 to 60 of us, very much like moss side, terraced houses etc, as we walked past a street adjacent to us, we saw a large gang, 150 or so, we thought they were City fans, who may have come on the other busses, but we were wrong and got chassed towards Anfield, my first ever sight of the ground, was big white letters The Kop, we all realised we were in the wrong place and kept running behind there main stand by now being chased by what seemed like every one, as we got to the Anfield road end there was another large gang waiting for City fans trying to get in the ground, we were slapped on several occasion's, just scrambling to get in, once in the ground we gathered in the top left hand corner, surrounded by the Police, no segregation, we all shit ourselves, but that is how things were. After walking back to Lime Street after the game we were lucky, when we got back, many fans had been battered, one lad had a spike in his back, he was taken to hospital.
So if you did go to away games in those days it was dangerous, no one is idolising it, but just how it was, a tit for tat situation.
I was at Maine Road when they won 3-0 when Fairclough got 2. Was walking Bach behind the streets opposite the Kippax and three scousers with platforms on were giving it large. Two City fans wearing Starsky cardigans knocked two of them out. One smiled at me and blew his fist like John Wayne blowing his side gun.

I was at Maine Road when they won 3-0 when Fairclough got 2. Was walking Bach behind the streets opposite the Kippax and three scousers with platforms on were giving it large. Two City fans wearing Starsky cardigans knocked two of them out. One smiled at me and blew his fist like John Wayne blowing his side gun.
''Starsky cardigans'' eh..

''Starsky cardigans'' eh..
4a93598faf456bb360202f45acb2a234--starsky--hutch-cardigan-sweaters.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.