Scotland at the Euros

No doubt we will qualify for the first time ever in an final event despite having this shite represent us.
The defence is poor and McGinn and McGregor are so off form it makes you wonder if Clarke has the bottle to drop at least one and play Christie.

Mc Tom&Jerry trying to claim the most own goal of own goals is madness. If Scotland ditch that big Celtc diddy Ralston they have a chance on Sunday
Under the rules, if it’s heading toward goal and a player deflects it in, it’s your goal. Unless you’re claiming the defender wanted onto the scoresheet?

No doubt we will qualify for the first time ever in an final event despite having this shite represent us.
The defence is poor and McGinn and McGregor are so off form it makes you wonder if Clarke has the bottle to drop at least one and play Christie.
Both have been MIA. That's polite for fucking woeful.

Something i've been thinking about and have been discussing it with a few others and we can't put a date on it but when did when decline in Scottish International football really start and when did it reach it's zenith, initially i'd say late 80s early 90s but Scotland did beat England in 1989 and were at Italia 1990 so maybe it was a decade later. I do recall Berti Vogts era being pretty grim so could it have been around the milennium?.

They were well past their ‘glory days’ by 1990. Their best players at that time were probably people like McCallister, McStay, Gillespie and McInally. Not bad players. And a step up from what they’ve got now. But hardly going to set the world on fire.

If you go back eight years to 1982, they had Hansen, Dalglish, Jordan, Souness, Robertson, Hartford, Wark and Archibald. Players not just at some of the top teams. But among the best players at them.

By 1986 most of them had gone. They still had some decent players but definitely a downgrade on ‘90.

And it’s gradually got worse ever since really.

So, I reckon the answer to your question is probably early- mid 80s.

They were well past their ‘glory days’ by 1990. Their best players at that time were probably people like McCallister, McStay, Gillespie and McInally. Not bad players. And a step up from what they’ve got now. But hardly going to set the world on fire.

If you go back eight years to 1982, they had Hansen, Dalglish, Jordan, Souness, Robertson, Hartford, Wark and Archibald. Players not just at some of the top teams. But among the best players at them.

By 1986 most of them had gone. They still had some decent players but definitely a downgrade on ‘90.

Never had real glory days.
Never qualified for one final tournament.
Dalglish and Souness never really performed in the finals along with a host of others.

Never had real glory days.
Never qualified for one final tournament.
Dalglish and Souness never really performed in the finals along with a host of others.

Which is why I wrote “glory days” in quotation marks. Just talking about when they had their best bunch of players, rather than anything they did or didn’t achieve.

T

hanks for that, but as Benny said, we have never had glory days. We had fucking millions of glorious hard luck stories, humiliation, there have been great moments, many, but glory?

Chance wouid be a fine thing. You’re right about the standard of our players, fallen off a cliff. There are professional players in our league who can’t trap a ball within six feet. We have not a single player who can dribble really well. We have good players in the middle, but so far, they would be as well as sitting beside me shouting and bawling. In our Academy, the richest club, we have absolutely fuck all. Kieran Tierney came through the system and got a game and played every game after. That was eight years ago. The next one who came through and immediately held a place was Charlie Nicholas. Better young players come from the smaller clubs, Rangers Academy has been pony for decades too. We have honest, no bad, some good, some worse players whose technique leaves me wincing.

Still winning this UEFA fucker though, goes without saying,

Andy Roxburgh was supposed to be this visionary coach i seem to recall prior to him taking over from Jock Stein, he was there for years i think and didn't they go for a similar figure in Craig Brown?, it's all a bit sketchy but their decline as an international team is only rivalled by Ireland. As a kid they were more or less the same level as England and Ireland pre-Jack had some top drawer players as well now i can barely name any of the players.

Andy Roxburgh was supposed to be this visionary coach i seem to recall prior to him taking over from Jock Stein, he was there for years i think and didn't they go for a similar figure in Craig Brown?, it's all a bit sketchy but their decline as an international team is only rivalled by Ireland. As a kid they were more or less the same level as England and Ireland pre-Jack had some top drawer players as well now i can barely name any of the players.
The squad Jack Charlton had at Italia '90 was ridiculous; the likes of O'Leary, McGrath, Quinn, Whelan, Aldridge (yes, he's a **** these days, but he was a decent striker), Bonner, Irwin, Big Mick, Staunton, Morgan, Hughton etc etc. Got to the quarter finals in that tournament. Now? God knows when they'll qualify for another tournament.

The squad Jack Charlton had at Italia '90 was ridiculous; the likes of O'Leary, McGrath, Quinn, Whelan, Aldridge (yes, he's a **** these days, but he was a decent striker), Bonner, Irwin, Big Mick, Staunton, Morgan, Hughton etc etc. Got to the quarter finals in that tournament. Now? God knows when they'll qualify for another tournament.
They had some decent players prior to him, was the manager Eoin Hand?, i think only Ferguson from the present set-up would get a sniff of a chance with the Irish sides mentioned.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.