Scotland Independance Referendum

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Gabriel said:
Ronnie the Rep said:
That's exactly how the UK/Eire system works. They are independent end of

Might be mistaken, but can't nationals of either country vote in the General Elections of their respective parliaments?

With apparently 10% of Scotland's population English/Welsh/Irish, one would imagine it should be a comprehensive No vote. However, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, this is simply a protracted decoupling, one that has been gathering momentum since 1979. Regardless of the decision in September, it is only a matter of time before the end of the United Kingdom.

Why since 1979?

Yes, historically you can indeed find moments of fractiousness, but in 'modern' terms the devolution debacle of 1979 left many Scots politically embittered. Not saying they are justified in feeling thus, simply pointing out that for many events now are part of the same process.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
mancunial said:
If I was stood on Adrian's wall looking south and saw Duncan smith Osborn Cameron Katie fkn Hopkins Mcvey atos bedroom come window tax enforcers and numerous other hypocritical greedy trough guzzling ideologist shithouses then I would certainly have to think about what I want in life?
Is that a typo?
Just not very bright.

Gabriel said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Gabriel said:
Might be mistaken, but can't nationals of either country vote in the General Elections of their respective parliaments?

With apparently 10% of Scotland's population English/Welsh/Irish, one would imagine it should be a comprehensive No vote. However, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, this is simply a protracted decoupling, one that has been gathering momentum since 1979. Regardless of the decision in September, it is only a matter of time before the end of the United Kingdom.

Why since 1979?

Yes, historically you can indeed find moments of fractiousness, but in 'modern' terms the devolution debacle of 1979 left many Scots politically embittered. Not saying they are justified in feeling thus, simply pointing out that for many events now are part of the same process.
Honest question mate 1979 isnt a year I followed too much

Matty said:
dazdon said:
My gut feeling is this is going to be a no vote so all the talk of what they want to keep is hypothetical.

But here's a list of what some people want to keep even if they are voting yes.

The Queen.

The pound.

The UK passport.

If they vote for independence then, for me, that's it, they're independent. In the same way that Germany, France, Italy etc are totally separate countries, then Scotland will be a totally separate country. That being the case they have no right to any of the things that make you part of the UK, including the royal family, the currency and the passport. They should have to reapply to the EU for membership, just like any new country would. We should enforce the exact same border controls on Scotland as we do on everyone else, so that's a large, physical border between the two countries, with border controls and all the stuff you get elsewhere.

You want independence, then you get it, warts and all, this isn't independence-lite.
It's a bit unrealistic to expect the Queen to decline being Head of State of an independent Scotland if that's what the Scots want (which they seem to) especially given her emotional attachment to the country.

Read some of the White Paper and I think if I was Scottish I would be voting Yes, but Im English and would prefer Scotland to remain part of the UK.

Incidentally the White Paper states - On independence, Her Majesty The Queen will remain our head of state, just as she is for 16 Commonwealth countries. Scotland will be a constitutional monarchy for as long as the people of Scotland wish us to be so. Scotland will take our place amongst the member states of the EU and the United Nations.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Matty said:
dazdon said:
My gut feeling is this is going to be a no vote so all the talk of what they want to keep is hypothetical.

But here's a list of what some people want to keep even if they are voting yes.

The Queen.

The pound.

The UK passport.

If they vote for independence then, for me, that's it, they're independent. In the same way that Germany, France, Italy etc are totally separate countries, then Scotland will be a totally separate country. That being the case they have no right to any of the things that make you part of the UK, including the royal family, the currency and the passport. They should have to reapply to the EU for membership, just like any new country would. We should enforce the exact same border controls on Scotland as we do on everyone else, so that's a large, physical border between the two countries, with border controls and all the stuff you get elsewhere.

You want independence, then you get it, warts and all, this isn't independence-lite.
It's a bit unrealistic to expect the Queen to decline being Head of State of an independent Scotland if that's what the Scots want (which they seem to) especially given her emotional attachment to the country.
Dont they have to remain part of the Commonwealth for her to be head of state?

BlueBearBoots said:
Read some of the White Paper and I think if I was Scottish I would be voting Yes, but Im English and would prefer Scotland to remain part of the UK.

Incidentally the White Paper states - On independence, Her Majesty The Queen will remain our head of state, just as she is for 16 Commonwealth countries. Scotland will be a constitutional monarchy for as long as the people of Scotland wish us to be so. Scotland will take our place amongst the member states of the EU and the United Nations.

Serious question!

Will Scotland be part of the commonwealth if they vote yes?

If the answer is no then we should inform the Queen not to be their head of state.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
Matty said:

Dont they have to remain part of the Commonwealth for her to be head of state?
I'm not sure how it works tbh, but even if they don't, I'm sure a way will be found to accommodate it.

wayne71 said:
Ronnie the Rep said:
wayne71 said:
Thats a bit OTT, I'd imagine a more UK/Ireland type set up.

That's exactly how the UK/Eire system works. They are independent end of

No its not, you can wander off the ferry in to Dublin with no passport get a job, live there and vice versa, no need for large physical borders either. I'm all for them supporting themselves financially but theres no need to be petty.

There's a HUGE physical border between the UK and Ireland, it's called the Irish Sea!!

What we have to realise here is that, at present, the UK has no physical borders with any other country (save the Ireland/Northern Ireland one, but messing with that is fraught with political, and terrorist, issues. Plus there's still only airports and ports that you can use to get to the mainland). We are an island, and the sea is our border. Scotland will border England physically, as a land mass, and as such we'd need to consider what we did about the border. Are we happy for people to gain access to Scotland, something we can do nothing to control, and then allow them to simply walk into the UK? Are we willing to trust that Alex Salmond and his cronies are capable of creating, and maintaining, an independent border control agency, and policing their ports, airports and coastline?

dazdon said:
BlueBearBoots said:

Serious question!

Will Scotland be part of the commonwealth if they vote yes?

If the answer is no then we should inform the Queen not to be their head of state.

According to their White Paper they will remain a Commonwealth Country, the comment above is a direct copy from their WP

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.