Scotland Independance Referendum

laserblue said:
If the Scots want to go in a free vote let them go. As long as they take their fair share of the National Debt with them and don't assume they'll be keeping the Pound Sterling as their currency. Maybe the 'yes' camp should also reflect on having the biggest smug twat in Europe as their post-independence Prime Minister.

I bet you now they don't take there share of the national debt. Has this even been discussed. I imagine salmon is thinking he can walk away and start afresh debt free.
I'm not too fussed either way what they do to be honest but if we (england) subsidise Scotland to a large extent wouldn't we as a country be better off?

marcus said:
laserblue said:
If the Scots want to go in a free vote let them go. As long as they take their fair share of the National Debt with them and don't assume they'll be keeping the Pound Sterling as their currency. Maybe the 'yes' camp should also reflect on having the biggest smug twat in Europe as their post-independence Prime Minister.

I bet you now they don't take there share of the national debt. Has this even been discussed. I imagine salmon is thinking he can walk away and start afresh debt free.
I'm not too fussed either way what they do to be honest but if we (england) subsidise Scotland to a large extent wouldn't we as a country be better off?

Apparently not with North Sea oil. From the White Paper - "Even without North Sea oil, Scotland's economy produces almost exactly the same amount of output per head as the rest of the UK. With oil and gas, we produce nearly a fifth more."

marcus said:
laserblue said:

I think Salmond's plan, if he can get away with it, is to end up owing the rest of the UK their share of the national debt rather than owing the external creditors. It's then quite likely that he would default on it.

would you buy a used car off these lardbuckets?

Alex-Salmond-2855485.jpg

west didsblue said:
marcus said:
laserblue said:

I think Salmond's plan, if he can get away with it, is to end up owing the rest of the UK their share of the national debt rather than owing the external creditors. It's then quite likely that he would default on it.

Scotland will be a parody of benefit street within 5 years, let them eat cake I say, would be a landslide if they let us vote as well ..!

Blue Til Death said:
west didsblue said:
marcus said:

Scotland will be a parody of benefit street within 5 years, let them eat cake I say, would be a landslide if they let us vote as well ..!
What would be quite amusing would be if the Shetland Islanders voted to remain part of the UK, thereby retaining the vast majority of the North Sea oil/gas income for the UK.

Blue Til Death said:
west didsblue said:
marcus said:

Scotland will be a parody of benefit street within 5 years, let them eat deep-fried cake I say, would be a landslide if they let us vote as well ..!

edited for accuracy and to reinforce an age-old stereotype. :)

I have family up there (from Argyll and Bute to Fife), and they are not happy about the prospect of living in an independent Scotland. One cousin has even moved down south and changed jobs. She was working at the Faslane Naval base, which will most likely see massive job cuts should Scotland pull away from the UK, so she thought best to act now.

Salmond's a slimey bastard. He's trying to draw Cameron into debating with him because he wants to align and associate the 'no' vote with the Tories, who have next to no popularity in Scotland. He wouldn't dare debate with Millliband on the issue because Labour are popular up there. Lowering the voting age to 16 was also a dirty move; patriotism and nationalism are irrational sentiments which younger people are more susceptible to, and I can see that being the key factor in swinging the outcome towards the 'yes'.

Personally though, as a 3/4 Englishman, I couldn't give a turd what they do. There's a strong case to be made that England might end up being better off (the oil that Salmond keeps banging on about is managed mostly by British companies, so we won't lose out there). The Westlothian Question is also a massive problem for English democracy. Although, I totally understand their argument for keeping the pound; it's just as much theirs as it is ours.

I love Scotland, it's great, but we really don't need them. In fact, I'd probably vote for splitting the UK completely if English voters were ever given the same considerations and choices that Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish voters are given.

west didsblue said:
What would be quite amusing would be if the Shetland Islanders voted to remain part of the UK, thereby retaining the vast majority of the North Sea oil/gas income for the UK.
Do you regularly find the prospect of millions of ordinary people being worse off amusing or just in this case?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.