Scotland Independance Referendum

pee dubya said:
west didsblue said:
What would be quite amusing would be if the Shetland Islanders voted to remain part of the UK, thereby retaining the vast majority of the North Sea oil/gas income for the UK.
Do you regularly find the prospect of millions of ordinary people being worse off amusing or just in this case?
Well if they vote for it, it is kind of there own fault

BoyBlue_1985 said:
pee dubya said:
west didsblue said:
What would be quite amusing would be if the Shetland Islanders voted to remain part of the UK, thereby retaining the vast majority of the North Sea oil/gas income for the UK.
Do you regularly find the prospect of millions of ordinary people being worse off amusing or just in this case?
If we vote for it, it will be by a small majority, so unless you think anyone who doesn't vote for it should then leave the country, it's not going to be everyone's fault is it?

pee dubya said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
pee dubya said:
If we vote for it, it will be by a small majority, so unless you think anyone who doesn't vote for it should then leave the country, it's not going to be everyone's fault is it?
That of course is correct but its also what democracy is. Not many people voted for the Government we have now but they have to suffer the consequences of it

BoyBlue_1985 said:
pee dubya said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
That of course is correct but its also what democracy is. Not many people voted for the Government we have now but they have to suffer the consequences of it
And do you find it funny?

pee dubya said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
pee dubya said:
Not really no. I hope Scotland stays we are both better countries for being joined rather than separated

pee dubya said:
west didsblue said:
Only the 75% of Scots that hate the English.

My figure of 75% is based on personal experience of watching the Rugby World Cup Final in 2007 in a bar in Elgin when 3/4 of the occupants celebrated when South Africa beat England like they had won it themselves. I know it's not a particularly scientific study of Scottish attitudes towards the English but I suspect it's not far from the truth.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
pee dubya said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Not really no. I hope Scotland stays we are both better countries for being joined rather than separated
If i was sure of that i'd vote no for definite.

But every time i think, this is ridiculous, i'm not a nationalist, i get this imagine my head of a Tory - UKIP coalition, a referendum on EU membership, and instead of us being Scotland as part of a European community, we're part of an increasingly insular UK with a government that has very little interest in Scotland since we're never going to vote for any of them anyway.<br /><br />-- Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:53 pm --<br /><br />
west didsblue said:
pee dubya said:
west didsblue said:

My figure of 75% is based on personal experience of watching the Rugby World Cup Final in 2007 in a bar in Elgin when 3/4 of the occupants celebrated when South Africa beat England like they had won it themselves. I know it's not a particularly scientific study of Scottish attitudes towards the English but I suspect it's not far from the truth.
Since when did a sporting rivalry equal hate?

Re: Scotland Independence Referendum

pee dubya said:
west didsblue said:
pee dubya said:

I can't disagree that a lot of it is sporting rivalry but I've been in Scotland enough to know that a sizeable proportion of the population are excessively anti-English. I'm not sure why this is but I do believe that the likes of Salmond and his cronies have encouraged this attitude over the years. I'm sure it's primarily the less educated and travelled people who are the ones who are anti-English and this attitude causes a similar attitude amongst many English people.

I personally hope that there is a sensible majority who will see independence as a bad idea. As I said earlier I think independence would be bad for the English and even worse for the Scots.

pee dubya said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
pee dubya said:
If i was sure of that i'd vote no for definite.

But every time i think, this is ridiculous, i'm not a nationalist, i get this imagine my head of a Tory - UKIP coalition, a referendum on EU membership, and instead of us being Scotland as part of a European community, we're part of an increasingly insular UK with a government that has very little interest in Scotland since we're never going to vote for any of them anyway.

-- Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:53 pm --

west didsblue said:
pee dubya said:

Going by the comments of some upstairs, twice a season, at the very least. :-)

Most Scots have long revelled in the schadenfreude of any English defeat, especially when in a group; it became worse/better (depending on perspective) after 1966, though any animosity has tended to be levelled not at English people but media types. In an oddly ironic way, an English sporting defeat should, in the eyes of Scots, level the standings between the two nations, yet because Scotland itself has become despairingly woeful at seemingly all sports, an English defeat brings less succour than before. I've never experienced it as hatred, merely banal banter.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.