Scotland Independance Referendum

[/s]
Chris in London said:
ayrshire_blue said:
I think a high percentage of those who plan to vote yes are doing so on the basis that no matter how difficult it may be, it will be a Scottish Government making decisions for Scottish people, and never need to worry about Tories being in charge of the country ever again. It's a chance to break free and don't tell me that if the people of Manchester had the same opportunitythey wouldn't seriously consider it.

There isn't really any substance in this is there? It's the exact opposite of the Tories' suggestion that without Scottish labour seats the Tories in England would be undefeatable, and it's just as untenable.

If Scottish MPs were no longer elected to Westminster there would inevitably be a fairly major realignment of centre-left politics to avoid political annihilation, and if Scotland became independent there would be a realignment of centre-right politics in Scotland for the very same reason. There would have to be. That centre-right grouping would become the natural party of opposition and when, as sure enough would happen, the Scottish electorate got fed up with the government of the day, the centre right - the tories by another name - would be elected.

You make a very fair point there Chris, however there'd be a few parties at the centre or centre left to choose from. If there was ever a Tory type of party they'd have to be so different from the current one to stand a single chance of being elected.

And, if by chance, they were elected...it would bebecause Scottish people have voted them in and not because people from the south of England did. Why would Scotland, or anyone for that matter, wish to stay governed by a parliament which the country has almost unanimously rejected when there's an opportunity like this available?

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Skashion said:
'kin hell Fetters, calm down.

I don't know - you moan when I'm boring, then you moan when I single-handedly attempt to reach the summit of Mount Pomposity.
Boy, you're hard to please.
Just wait and see who cops both barrels later if the afternoon's racing goes horribly wrong.
This place needs a fucking transfusion, it's that anaemic.

Hope it's not me

It seems to some posters on this threat to matter if Alex Salmond is from the left or right of politics to me he has always been the Huey Long of Scottish politics, all things to all men and more faces than the town hall clock, Long by the way was successful in getting people to vote for him to see him in action try youtube and see a populist demagogue in action.

dawlish dave said:
It seems to some posters on this threat to matter if Alex Salmond is from the left or right of politics to me he has always been the Huey Long of Scottish politics, all things to all men and more faces than the town hall clock, Long by the way was successful in getting people to vote for him to see him in action try youtube and see a populist demagogue in action.

It's a good thing that a yes vote isn't necessarily a vote for SNP in that case then. Much in the same sense that a no vote isn't the Scottish people voting Tory. Infact, ironically enough, a yes vote is more likely to bring an end to Salmonds reign than a no vote, in that his party will undoubtedly split and a general election would take place.

This has never been a Salmond v Cameron issue, but it is true that only Salmond has Scottish interests at heart and Westminister couldn't give a flying toss. Even those in the 'Scottish' Labour party care more about Westminister and how they are going to get there. While this is the case, Salmond is always going to be seen as the spearhead of the campaign. He's as untrustworthy and sneaky as the rest of them, but for the moment he's the leader of the only political party who give a flying toss about Scotland.

ayrshire_blue said:
dawlish dave said:

It's a good thing that a yes vote isn't necessarily a vote for SNP in that case then. Much in the same sense that a no vote isn't the Scottish people voting Tory. Infact, ironically enough, a yes vote is more likely to bring an end to Salmonds reign than a no vote, in that his party will undoubtedly split and a general election would take place.

This has never been a Salmond v Cameron issue, but it is true that only Salmond has Scottish interests at heart and Westminister couldn't give a flying toss. Even those in the 'Scottish' Labour party care more about Westminister and how they are going to get there. While this is the case, Salmond is always going to be seen as the spearhead of the campaign. He's as untrustworthy and sneaky as the rest of them, but for the moment he's the leader of the only political party who give a flying toss about Scotland.
Its a shame his independent plan for Scotland is flawed then and will be the real problem

ayrshire_blue said:
dawlish dave said:

Fully understand your dislike of the Tories but just hope your not going to vote just to get rid of them I would feel the same if the home counties down here demanded a vote to dump the rest of the UK just so they would never see the left in power again.
By the way did not the Conservative and Unionist Party hold the most seats in Scotland 30 or so years ago as Gerry Adams said about another organisation "they have not gone away you know".
Hope you stay.

Apparently Salmond has reiterated that if an independent Scotland doesn't get a currency union with the UK, they will refuse to take on Scotland's share of the national debt.

If they don't take on their share of the national debt, they won't be entitled to their share of the UKs assets.

If they have no assets, they will be unable to support their new currency.

Salmond is supposed to have a degree in Economics but he doen't appear to understand the basics.

He really needs to provide details of how the Scottish economy will work without currency union to allow the Scottish people to make an informed choice.

west didsblue said:
Apparently Salmond has reiterated that if an independent Scotland doesn't get a currency union with the UK, they will refuse to take on Scotland's share of the national debt.

If they don't take on their share of the national debt, they won't be entitled to their share of the UKs assets.

If they have no assets, they will be unable to support their new currency.

Salmond is supposed to have a degree in Economics but he doen't appear to understand the basics.

He really needs to provide details of how the Scottish economy will work without currency union to allow the Scottish people to make an informed choice.

Why should he, he can just keep making it up like he has done from the start. 90% of the people who will vote yes to independence dont have the slightest clue whats being waffled on about anyway

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.