Scotland Independance Referendum

pee dubya said:
west didsblue said:
pee dubya said:
That's already is the case, we'd just have to take students from the rest of the UK as well.
Sorry, that's what I meant and if it was free north of the border there would be huge numbers applying from the rest of the UK who would have to be treated the same as Scottish and other EU students causing much less availability of places for Scottish students.
That could be a downside. On the other hand, we have huge drop-out rates because its free, people who don't really want to go know they might as well try with nothing to lose. Greater competition = greater standard of student = greater standard of university. Probably whether it'd be an overall positive would depend on how many stayed on after graduating to work here. If the opportunities were there for good jobs i'm sure many would.

In recent years, the old four universities (St Andrews, Glasgow, Aberdeen, and Edinburgh, in particular) have been able to meet 'set' targets of Scottish students and attract unlimited numbers of English students paying 8,000 per year. This has come at a time where the financial services sector has taken a hammering and has meant the universities have become increasingly powerful, economically and internationally, so they collectively would be loathe to see a change in status.

A couple of posters have identified the key issues with this vote.

From an economic perspective I believe it would be a disaster for Scotland to go independent. The uncertainty created over the currency and associated fiscal management (stay with the pound vs euro vs new currency) is likely to cause a cash flow of billions out of Scotland from individuals and business. My own father-in-law, an Englishman who has lived in Edinburgh for over 50 years, has already transferred all his saving to English building societies at English branches from his Scottish held accounts. The reason being that he doesn't want either a devaluation of any new currency eroding his capital or a Cyprus-like tax of savings when the ScotNats cock-up the economy. Both are fairly long term and possibly low chance outcomes, but why take the risk? And if he has come to that conclusion you can bet your bottom Scottish Drachma it has occurred to those who hold significant wealth in Scotland.

As far as the outcome of the actual vote is concerned, I was at the Calcutta Cup on Saturday being corporately bribed; the party was wholly made up of Scottish business people who all said that none of them new anyone who wanted a yes vote. Some of them were concerned that the opinions of the business community were being kept quiet because, although they all wanted a no vote (including big hitters such as RBS) they were all keeping quiet to avoid alienating their customers. Which brings me to the crux. From my experience the two sides fall into two categories; those who look at the issue as one of economics and reason (how will it all actually work, how much will it all actually cost?), and those voting from emotional and political perspectives(romantic nationalists and those wanting more self-determination). The two sets of voters would appear to be quite separate social groups as well with the so-called middle classes likely to be 'no' and the less well off likely to be yes. The danger for the no-ers is that they don't create sufficient noise in the upcoming months to overcome the inevitable surge of 'Braveheart' claptrap, which will be foisted on the electorate in an attempt to sway the voters who will vote with their hearts not their heads.

Of course, all the employees of places like the nuclear shipyards who will lose their jobs after a yes vote might help sway the balance but you never know.

To those of you in the rest of the UK who say it doesn't matter, it does - a yes vote will cause a prolonged and expensive negotiation and separation of government and financial institutions for no ultimate benefit to either party.

Its all just a crap idea.

It would be quite strange watching Scotland descend into anarchy just a few feet from England as we start taking refugees from a failed state. What happens to the Scottish people here as Scotland wont get automatic entry into the EU and they will essentially become aliens

BoyBlue_1985 said:
It would be quite strange watching Scotland descend into anarchy just a few feet from England as we start taking refugees from a failed state. What happens to the Scottish people here as Scotland wont get automatic entry into the EU and they will essentially become aliens

They'll just continue to live there like Irish people do.

wayne71 said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:

It was a bit tongue in cheek that one im fully aware they would be allowed to stay.
Although would we need a passport to go over the border if they did indeed split?

BoyBlue_1985 said:
wayne71 said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:

It was a bit tongue in cheek that one im fully aware they would be allowed to stay.
Although would we need a passport to go over the border if they did indeed split?

I wouldn't have thought so if your travelling by road. I don't think you need one to get in to Ireland if you arrive on the ferry IIRC.

Alex Salmond, and his party, haven't got the first clue how they are going to run an independent Scotland. Whenever anyone asks him the really difficult questions, like currency issues, EU membership, natural resources, border controls, debt inherited, taxation, defence, immigration all he's got is bluster. It will be a car crash if they vote yes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.