Scotland v Hungary - Sun 23rd June, 20:00 | Euro 2024 Group A

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Overly harsh. We were subject to an Argentinian ref, bused in for whatever reason. A stone wall penalty waved away and not looked at. An offside winning goal not looked at. Lots of hate on this thread. Hope England get fairer officiating in the remainder of the tournament.
I thought we were technically inept. From the first kick to our last. Not sure about the penalty either. Until Clarke went for it the last 8 minutes, we were absolutely rank. Support were great Ambassadirs for the country. Our team showed how far we have fallen. Of all the games I watched, we were the bottom in relation to technical ability. They let us keep the ball as they knew we had nothing to hurt them. They sure got that right.

unlucky Scotland, but i do agree with some sentiments on here that Clarke's men just didn't do enough going forward. Until those great chances in injury time, an under-par Hungary weren't really threatened. The penalty was a rough decision, in my opinion, but there is a tiny air of jumping back into the defender. I've seen a couple of stills and it was very very tight re offside (and probably onside)

not from square on, and the ball has already left the foot, but he looks on....

1719213041906.png

Overly harsh. We were subject to an Argentinian ref, bused in for whatever reason. A stone wall penalty waved away and not looked at. An offside winning goal not looked at. Lots of hate on this thread. Hope England get fairer officiating in the remainder of the tournament.
He is clearly onside and yes it was checked , not a pen in my opinion but have seen them given .

Was in cologne on Monday night and the hatred towards England fans was incredible by certain groups of Scot’s but the press just want to show the kilt wearing bagpipers having a great time but not so great when your in your own getting abused and slagged off by about 20 in a shop .

That is absolutely the truth (I was actually talking about English City fans, I suppose, on here hating England, which is a different story).
Many, many years ago, I almost got into a fight with three very drunk, very belligerent Scots in Russell Square — of all places! One of them kept saying to me, “Hey yuu… Aye, yuu… the big ****… tek me oon!” Think Kevin Bridges describing his “altercation” standing at a bus stop one night in Glasgow, you'll get it. This is in the middle of London, right, on a Saturday night (Scotland had just beaten England at Wembley, you know, the one where there was a mass pitch invasion and they broke the crossbar)? I was going out, I was with my girlfriend. A tricky moment, to put it mildly. Adopting my suavest Roger Moore voice, incredibly, I managed to talk them down, congratulating on their victory. They calmed down and we walked away. I told that story years later to a Scottish guy I got on quite well with — a tough little git, but a good bloke basically — and he couldn't quite believe that I'd got away without at least having my nose broken.
Aaah, the advantages of a public school education! We used to have to do that sort of thing from time to time in the native districts out in Rajasthan when there was a riot on, don't you know, old boy…

Penalty decision was puzzling, however on the balance of play did we do enough to win? i dont think so.

1 shot on target, 1 shot off target tells you all you need to know, there just isnt anywhere near enough quality in the final third. We could have played til tuesday and not scored.

Its another case of glorious failure. So much hype, and then having it in our hands to progress, we fall flat on our faces yet again.

I'm not even really upset at this, because we got exactly what we deserved from the tournament. Thought we were awful in all three matches.

Clarke has done a really good job generally, but he failed in this tournament. It's been clear for a while that teams have figured out how to play against the system he developed, and he's done nothing about it.

The players need to take some responsibility, but it's the lack of tactical flexibility that's done us. This game was screaming out for a system change, yet we didn't do it because we'd obviously not worked on anything else.

I said before ko that two park the bus teams this is going to be boring lol.

Never a penalty for me the jock went infront of the defender and had hold of the defender shirt. The jock cause the coming together.
Spot on. It's like some sort of outrage in the national press today when in realty Armstrong fouls the defender. Not sure what Shearer is on, he doesn't look well tbh.

Pack the skirts away lads and lasses and non whatever ya call it
I used to work with a guy from Glasgow who hated the whole tartan army kilt and pipes thing. He referred to them as Music Hall Scotsmen embarrassing the nation. If they would get off their anti English hobby horse for 5 minutes they might get a bit more sympathy.

I'm not sure this was the normal glorious failure - glorious failure would have been battering at their goal for 90 minutes and then getting hit by the sugger (Think USSR 82)

It was a poor performance that lacked any belief. The substitutions were strange and messed up whatever balance there was. Some calling for Clarke to go but he (or someone else) has to work with who is available and this group were the players available to him. He has done well to get to two tournaments and climb the Nations league rankings. This will be the nucleus of the next squad and I don't see anyone else who is going to make a real difference.

In a game where the referee was giving lots of fouls for soft challenges (to both sides) and yellow cards for not a lot - not giving a penalty for more of a foul than many others - was typical of that style of weak refereeing - but we don't need Clarke abusing him for being Argentinian. For what it's worth (not a lot) I think that is a penalty in any match - even if the attacker slows down to take the hit. I know that if it was given against my team I wouldn't be complaining.

And on the more serious note - football needs to take a good look at head/facial injuries. From what little has been shown I don't think Angus Gunn did much wrong in the collision - both players are "entitled to go for it" with the advantage using hands he gets to the ball first and then Varga seems to go into his shoulder. Rugby have introduced very strict protocols for who is entitled to challenge for a high ball and the care they need to take of an opponent - but that involves two players using their hands and not tackling until player is back on the ground - I don't know how football does the same in those situations without removing heading the ball as an option or not allowing the goalkeeper to challenge in any circumstance in that situation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.