Scottish independence

johnnytapia said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
johnnytapia said:
There was no sense of Schadenfreude whatsoever in seeing you make such a mistake.
You've raised an interesting etymological point, in actual fact. Schadenfreude, it could very well be said, is a word that has fully passed into the English language, not least, as is well documented, because there is no single word equivalent in our tongue. On that basis would it be right that its use continued to follow German grammatical rules? Could it not be said, that it should be the case, in the course of its written 'English' use, that a lower case 's' is used, as it is now an 'English' word?

My default for any queries on punctuation is The Guardian Style Guide and it says....lower case "s". Du hast Recht!
That's nice to hear :-) I never tire of being a smart-arse.

I think your point on 'Weltanschauung' remains, however :-)

Ban-jani said:
aguero93:20 said:
Ban-jani said:
Of course things will improve if you're no longer oppressed, the point is that Scotland aren't, there's a chasm of a difference between Ireland being part of the union and Scotland, it's such a difference in circumstances your point is laughable.

Your first point was that living standards in Ireland have improved compared to the rest of the UK over the last century, that simply isn't true.
Back that statement up then why don't you?

I already have, you don't appear to be illiterate so I'll give you the opportunity to read my posts again, if you're still struggling then I'll reiterate it for you.
You pointed out that we have a lower average wage than the UK, you haven't shown me anything to suggest that we are equal to or worse off compared to pre1921.

Ban-jani said:
Back that statement up then why don't you?

I already have, you don't appear to be illiterate so I'll give you the opportunity to read my posts again, if you're still struggling then I'll reiterate it for you.
You pointed out that we have a lower average wage than the UK, you haven't shown me anything to suggest that we are equal to or worse off compared to pre1921.

That's not what we are discussing though is it? You said you have a more improved living standard than the rest of the UK, not you have a more improved living standard since you left the UK.

But you're aware of that, you're now trying to deflect the argument because you have realised you're wrong.

hackneyslim said:
This is getting to be quite a good thread, thank you all for an interesting read. It is a bit dismaying to read some particularly virulent anti-Scottish comments, of course, but at the same time it is amusing to think that some of those who express such views support the Union and cannot understand why Scotland would leave it.

The issue for me does not lie in the details or the personalities, but in history and historical forces. It's going in one direction, whatever the result next week. I agree with GDM and Bob Dylan about the times. In this instance, though, the issue has been clouded by personal interest and short-term fears, as well as nationalist feelings of one sort or the other. But the door is open now, even if they don't walk through it this time, in Scotland, Catalonia, the Basque country ... Didsbury.

Only the educated are free (Epicetus).

I'd agree with that. I think Westminster probably thought we'll have a straightforward Yes/No this time, with No winning comfortably. Next time, as a sop, we'll offer Devo Max as well, and that will split the vote and keep the Scots content for a few more years. However, by panicking and throwing Devo Max in now, in the most higgledy-piggledy fashion, it means Westminster probably has ten years (I would imagine tops) of keeping the Union together before the clamour arises again for Independence.

Gabriel said:
hackneyslim said:
This is getting to be quite a good thread, thank you all for an interesting read. It is a bit dismaying to read some particularly virulent anti-Scottish comments, of course, but at the same time it is amusing to think that some of those who express such views support the Union and cannot understand why Scotland would leave it.

The issue for me does not lie in the details or the personalities, but in history and historical forces. It's going in one direction, whatever the result next week. I agree with GDM and Bob Dylan about the times. In this instance, though, the issue has been clouded by personal interest and short-term fears, as well as nationalist feelings of one sort or the other. But the door is open now, even if they don't walk through it this time, in Scotland, Catalonia, the Basque country ... Didsbury.

Only the educated are free (Epicetus).

I'd agree with that. I think Westminster probably thought we'll have a straightforward Yes/No this time, with No winning comfortably. Next time, as a sop, we'll offer Devo Max as well, and that will split the vote and keep the Scots content for a few more years. However, by panicking and throwing Devo Max in now, in the most higgledy-piggledy fashion, it means Westminster probably has ten years (I would imagine tops) of keeping the Union together before the clamour arises again for Independence.

If there's an out vote in the EU referendum (if it happens) Salmond will use that to call for a new Scottish referendum

Mikeyc1986 said:
4.2 million are going to vote in 5 days time. These polls are out of about 1200 people. It's time for a change, Scotland contribute £1700 per head of population in taxes, (say 5million living in scotland) that goes to Westminster, they decide how much we get back per head of population. We get back £1200, a loss of over £2.5billion. We are keeping 90% of oil revenues and 100% of food and whisky export, getting rid of £4bn a year trident. Scotland can easily become and will become the 4th richest nation on earth. These are the facts!

Vote YES!

You just have to laugh really pmsl.........

Welcome to the forum Mr Salmond!

blueinsa said:
Mikeyc1986 said:
4.2 million are going to vote in 5 days time. These polls are out of about 1200 people. It's time for a change, Scotland contribute £1700 per head of population in taxes, (say 5million living in scotland) that goes to Westminster, they decide how much we get back per head of population. We get back £1200, a loss of over £2.5billion. We are keeping 90% of oil revenues and 100% of food and whisky export, getting rid of £4bn a year trident. Scotland can easily become and will become the 4th richest nation on earth. These are the facts!

Vote YES!

Regardless of how fanciful people think the figures are for an independent Scotland, the loss of such revenue for the UK should be making people in rUK extremely uncomfortable. If they do vote 'Yes', there is going to be very real economic hardship for everyone, and that is before the respective parties start tackling the deficit.

Does the amount that 'comes back' to Scotland include Scotland's share of; Defence; Diplomatic representation around the world, including the maintenance of embassies; subscription to the EU; subscription to the UN; the cost of the Queen, etc.? Asking, because I genuinely don't know.

blueinsa said:
Mikeyc1986 said:

Vote YES!

It's posts like his that really makes me want them to vote yes just so we can see his reaction when reality hits and they are nowhere near the 4th richest nation in the world. Cranberry sauce is waiting for the turkeys who vote for xmas.

BrianW said:
Does the amount that 'comes back' to Scotland include Scotland's share of; Defence; Diplomatic representation around the world, including the maintenance of embassies; subscription to the EU; subscription to the UN; the cost of the Queen, etc.? Asking, because I genuinely don't know.

<a class="postlink" href="http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24866266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24866266</a> have a look at this, this information is from November 2013.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.