Scottish independence

"We campaign in poetry and govern in prose" will be the most apposite of political catchphrases if Scotland votes for independence.

We've seen the effects that punitive, personal taxation has on a nation's economy in the contemporary world, if we cast our eyes across the English Chanel or equally to London, residence now to increasing numbers of French tax-exiles.

I really like the Scots and I'm perfectly content to accept their decision, and whilst I don't believe for a minute that comparisons with Greece are helpful, neither are those with Scandinava, or even Ireland for that matter. There will be a serious reality check for those expecting a land of milk and honey imo.

I wonder, on the day in question, how many people will change their minds at the last minute? Quite a few, I reckon, certainly more than in a General Election. I suspect the finality of an uncoupling will reveal itself in the form of a degree of conservatism coming to the fore in the minds of sufficient undecideds to keep the Union intact, but barely. The big two urban centres, containing less naked Nationalism, will carry the day. For now, at least.

Who knows what form nation states will take in the decades ahead. It's worth remembering that there wasn't a Union before 1707 and the world still turned. The same will be the case as and when it dissolves. The way we structure how we, as humans, are governed has to evolve to meet the needs of a world that is changing at ever increasing speed. I expect Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireand and the English regions to follow an even more devolved path of government in the next couple of decades, for better or worse - probably better imo.

Those of a conservative disposition are going to find this century to be an uncomfortable one, I reckon. The times they are a changin'.

Ban-jani said:
aguero93:20 said:
Ban-jani said:
Strange that you've used Ireland as an example.

Your other examples left well well well before anyone had a modern economy.
Not to mention that Scotland sells more to the rest of the uk than anywhere else combined.
In what way is it strange? Do you have any idea how much living standards have improved here compared to the rest of the UK in the last century?

As for the last part, the UK is still one of Ireland's biggest export markets as well, independence of government doesn't stop trade.

You genuinely believe that first part? Are we talking about the same Ireland here?
The average wage in the uk is a 5th higher than Ireland, British people are richer, the economy is better and the country is more developed.

No but when many large companies up sticks and move south of the border, the trade will rapidly decrease.
The same Ireland that was treated as an agricultural backwater by London with no state welfare, very little education, no industrialisation? Yes. Do you think any of those factors re wage etc would be any better if we were still in the UK? What's the average wage in Scotland and Northern Ireland compared to the rest of the UK? What's the difference in average net worth? As for outside investment, it's never stopped us and it won't stop Scotland.

A yes vote isn't a vote for salmond. It's a vote to get scotland independence, then in march 2016 there will be a general election to vote in the first party. Labour looks more likely to get in if we get our independence.

The bbc media is so pro union, these stories about Lloyds, rbs, etc has all come a week before the referendum when majority have all ready made up their mind. A laughing stock really, cameron came up and gave a speech in a financial building, he didn't walk the streets, this comes from a man who cares about his country. Who imposes the bedroom tax which affects the disabled and vulnerable.

I will challenge anyone a £100 bet for charity on the result. The streets of scotland are awash with yes campaigners. I'm confident in scotland getting independence. There are campaign rally's in every town in scotland today. It's a movement!

More people vote if they are voting for change!

Ducado said:
Ronnie the Rep said:
It may be that the undecideds are closet NO voters too afraid to be seen as un-Scottish

Which happened in the 1992 general election, nearly every opinion poll had Labour down to win, because it was seen as uncoll to say you were voting Tory, they voted Tory nonetheless

This, in a nutshell, is why I think it will be a "No". It doesn't matter what you say in an opinion poll, it has zero effect on your future. When the ballot paper stares up at you, awaiting that cross, the future is thrown into sharp focus. The vast, almost total voting public will have one thing on their mind as the pencil hovers: £

Sadly, for I would love Scotland to be the catalyst for devolved power to the cities, I think it will be a "No" - at a canter.

Llyods already have headquarters in London, the Scottish media have torn apart these claims. Rbs have stated no jobs will be affected, they sent emails to their staff. Rbs are simply recognising that scotland being an independent country they would then need a HQ in London as that's who owns the bank. It's a laughing stock up here in scotland.

My fellow citizens you will be surprised come next Thursday. We won't!

Good luck with the tories and ukip for the next 100 years!

Bearing in mind I cannot influence the vote in any meaningful way I am sick of constant coverage of it.
The BBC alone must have spent a fortune sending every newsreader to Scotland (all expenses paid) and for what ? 3/4 of the United Kingdom don't get a say in it and yet it is rammed down our necks.

Just go Scotland, leave quietly (yeh right) and close the door after you.

johnnytapia said:
Ducado said:
Ronnie the Rep said:
It may be that the undecideds are closet NO voters too afraid to be seen as un-Scottish

Which happened in the 1992 general election, nearly every opinion poll had Labour down to win, because it was seen as uncoll to say you were voting Tory, they voted Tory nonetheless

This, in a nutshell, is why I think it will be a "No". It doesn't matter what you say in an opinion poll, it has zero effect on your future. When the ballot paper stares up at you, awaiting that cross, the future is thrown into sharp focus. The vast, almost total voting public will have one thing on their mind as the pencil hovers: £

Sadly, for I would love Scotland to be the catalyst for devolved power to the cities, I think it will be a "No" - at a canter.
The privacy of the ballot box can most effectively concentrate the mind. Not sure about the canter bit, though. A neck, maybe.

I omitted to thank you for your German noun (or is it Noun) advice the other day, JT.

Thanks. Always happy to learn :-)

Ban-jani said:
In what way is it strange? Do you have any idea how much living standards have improved here compared to the rest of the UK in the last century?

As for the last part, the UK is still one of Ireland's biggest export markets as well, independence of government doesn't stop trade.

You genuinely believe that first part? Are we talking about the same Ireland here?
The average wage in the uk is a 5th higher than Ireland, British people are richer, the economy is better and the country is more developed.

No but when many large companies up sticks and move south of the border, the trade will rapidly decrease.
The same Ireland that was treated as an agricultural backwater by London with no state welfare, very little education, no industrialisation? Yes. Do you think any of those factors re wage etc would be any better if we were still in the UK? What's the average wage in Scotland and Northern Ireland compared to the rest of the UK? What's the difference in average net worth? As for outside investment, it's never stopped us and it won't stop Scotland.

Of course things will improve if you're no longer oppressed, the point is that Scotland aren't, there's a chasm of a difference between Ireland being part of the union and Scotland, it's such a difference in circumstances your point is laughable.

Your first point was that living standards in Ireland have improved compared to the rest of the UK over the last century, that simply isn't true.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.