Scottish independence

Ifwecouldjust....... said:
Rascal said:
Hope the jocks see sense and vote better together

Never really considered my much of a Unionist in any way but our ties are so close I believe the UK is worth preserving

I will caveat that with I hope is hugely increased regional governance. By that I mean more autonomy for Manchester to do its thing. What the fuck does some Eton educated buffoon who lives in rural Oxfordshire know about living in a northern city? And no I don't want a fucking Mayor figure like Boris I want proper regional and local representation with powers that the near 3 million people of Gt Manchester deserve.

All regions of the UK are different and the current one fits all approach from Westminster only ever appears to work for the City of London.

As a proud Manc I have more in common with scousers, geordies, Glaswegians than I do with London and its time that the UK recognised that whilst being British is fine, local answers to local issues is what we need.

HS2 is a case in point. It makes London closer but it does not help the North connect. I Can get to Leeds in a cattle wagon in an hour, whilst London 4 times further away can be reached every 15 mins in nice plush trains in about 2 hours.

So from you Jock lads please say no and join in trying to get local democracy for all

Good sentiments but tbh we're too far apart now....Scots get free university places, free eye checks, free prescriptions......the Scots Govt are clearly more concerned about the education ,health and welfare of its population rather than trying to make a profit.

good luck to them i say

But no reason why Gt Manchester cant have our own say in a devolved regional parliament.

We might be fine with free prescriptions as long as parking charges for cockneys quadruple in Trafford.

Rascal said:
Rascal said:
Hope the jocks see sense and vote better together

Never really considered my much of a Unionist in any way but our ties are so close I believe the UK is worth preserving

I will caveat that with I hope is hugely increased regional governance. By that I mean more autonomy for Manchester to do its thing. What the fuck does some Eton educated buffoon who lives in rural Oxfordshire know about living in a northern city? And no I don't want a fucking Mayor figure like Boris I want proper regional and local representation with powers that the near 3 million people of Gt Manchester deserve.

All regions of the UK are different and the current one fits all approach from Westminster only ever appears to work for the City of London.

As a proud Manc I have more in common with scousers, geordies, Glaswegians than I do with London and its time that the UK recognised that whilst being British is fine, local answers to local issues is what we need.

HS2 is a case in point. It makes London closer but it does not help the North connect. I Can get to Leeds in a cattle wagon in an hour, whilst London 4 times further away can be reached every 15 mins in nice plush trains in about 2 hours.

So from you Jock lads please say no and join in trying to get local democracy for all

Good sentiments but tbh we're too far apart now....Scots get free university places, free eye checks, free prescriptions......the Scots Govt are clearly more concerned about the education ,health and welfare of its population rather than trying to make a profit.

good luck to them i say

But no reason why Gt Manchester cant have our own say in a devolved regional parliament.

We might be fine with free prescriptions as long as parking charges for cockneys quadruple in Trafford.

You are asking for (in your regional parliament) the thing Im against here in Oz, ie more levels of government, we have state governments, so, more politicians on fat salaries, cars plush offices, expense accounts etc
The Queens land government costs 55 $billion a year to govern over about 3 million people, you dont want to open that can of worms for Britains regions surely, taxes will have to rise to pay for it.

nimrod said:
Rascal said:

good luck to them i say

You are asking for (in your regional parliament) the thing Im against here in Oz, ie more levels of government, we have state governments, so, more politicians on fat salaries, cars plush offices, expense accounts etc
The Queens land government costs 55 $billion a year to govern over about 3 million people, you dont want to open that can of worms for Britains regions surely, taxes will have to rise to pay for it.
Spot on the less politicians I see the better I feel.

Dan Snow is campaigning on the streets of Manchester today, to encourage any lurking Scots to vote No for independence and to change public opinion, that's the same Dan Snow who is balls-deep in the aristocracy by virtue of his marriage to Lady Edwina Louise Grosvenor, daughter of Gerald Grosvenor, 6th Duke of Westminster, richest man in the UK with an estimated £12.6bn and owner of 96,000 acres of land in Scotland? What reason could he possibly have to oppose a vote that would result in radical land reform?

*scratches chin*

Any chance we could have a referendum to make Stoke a city nation state out with the uk? I'm a Yes for that vote.

Polls at 47% just now for Yes. If the No vote doesn't come out on Sept 18........who knows?

<a class="postlink" href="http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/polls/290057-daily-mail-survation-poll-says-gap-shortens-between-yes-and-no-vote/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/pol ... d-no-vote/</a>

JackFlash74 said:
Polls at 47% just now for Yes. If the No vote doesn't come out on Sept 18........who knows?

<a class="postlink" href="http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/polls/290057-daily-mail-survation-poll-says-gap-shortens-between-yes-and-no-vote/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/pol ... d-no-vote/</a>

thats the muffin or barm referendum mate

I've just come home from two weeks holiday in Scotland. The islands off the west coast (Mull and Iona) appear to be in the high 90%s of Yes voters. In fact they would probably vote to become independent of Scotland also if they could.

We then spent a day in Edinburgh with relatives, and a day in Perth with friends. Almost all our relatives and friends are in the No camp. One made the point that Scotland has 11% of the UK population, but could not afford to become burdened with 11% of the debt of the UK if they gained independence.

If this happens can we have a game of thrones style split and declare a King in the North.

RandomJ said:
If this happens can we have a game of thrones style split and declare a King in the North.

Before slitting his throat when he tries to cross the Mersey just outside Runcorn

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.