Scottish independence

metalblue said:
ayrshire_blue said:
For about 2 years I was undecided but leaning towards no. This was until around a year ago - or maybe less - and at the current time I can't figure out why I would even be so fucking stupid to even contemplate voting no.

Better together campaign has been an absolute disaster from the beginning. Scaremongering after scaremongering.

We'll keep the pound (confirmed by Alistair Darling), our pensions will be secured, and we can afford it. This has all been covered in detail.

All with the added bonus that we will get to make decisions which suit our own bloody country rather than London and the South East.

No more Tories (unless of course, WE actually vote for them!!).

Since 1942 142 countries have voted for independence. Not one of them has ever wanted to give it up yet neither one of the 142 countries have been in such a position to vote for independence as Scotland are at the current time.

There's more to fear in the event of a no vote (Tories, Ukip, EU referendum etc etc) than anything in a yes vote.

"Of course Scotland could be a successfull independent nation" - Even David fucking Cameron admits it.

Vote yes!

I'd honestly love to know how

Scotland is roughly 8% of the country per population yet contributes 9% to the economy. In other words - subsidising the rUK. Of course, we have higher spending than the rUK but that v considered it's still less than we generate.

In an independent country the need (and want) for Scotland's most popular exports aren't going to suddenly decrease. Whisky, Oil, Tourism and other revenue streams will continue to be gained as they always have done.

Never to mention the huge savings on nuclear weapons/trident which would be put towards issues closer to home for example the likes of food banks which are growing in numbers month by month.

The savings on not invading every country in the world - whether worthwhile or not - can be put to use IN SCOTLAND.

The overriding factor in all my reasons for voting yes is having a say in our own future. Scotland's vote has never meant anything in a general election. Vote Labour - get the Tories. Vote SNP - Get a Tory/lib dem coalition. What's next? Vote SNP and get stuck with Cameron and Farage? Not for me thanks. And no, it's not about every individual getting the government they want but creating a far fairer and democratic society which can be represented by a government voted for by the population it serves.

Nobody's saying it won't be without risk. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And the better together campaign have came up with absolutely NOTHING to suggest Scots could suffer in the result of a YES vote. Instead, they've made half hearted efforts at telling us why we're better giving Westminster our money and letting them make our decisions for us.

"The possibility of being better is better in itself than the fear of being worse".

Mrs TTT watched some debate on TV the night.
Honestly,they're all fukn idiots.
Elaine C Smith. Aka Mrs Rab C Nesbit telling me what to fukn go for.
Nah,I'll stick with my allegiance to Manchester thanks very much Mary doll :)

NO

TTTCITYBHOY said:
Nah,I'll stick with my allegiance to Westminsterthanks very much Mary doll :)

NO

Edited for accuracy mate ;) I'd guess a good chunk of Manchester are none too pleased with the completely unequal society which is ever-growing in favour of London and the South east either.

ayrshire_blue said:
TTTCITYBHOY said:
Nah,I'll stick with my allegiance to Westminsterthanks very much Mary doll :)

NO

Edited for accuracy mate ;) I'd guess a good chunk of Manchester are none too pleased with the completely unequal society which is ever-growing in favour of London and the South east either.
Tbh mate,I fukn hate politics/politicians the whole shebang.
If we could draw a line between say,,,,the midlands for example.
Then we could have a decent North/South divide.

The more I think about it. The more I don't give a sh*t ... Is there many normal day to day English people actually concerned about this ? If they want independence good on them, if they don't good on them.

TTTCITYBHOY said:
Markt85 said:
The more I think about it. The more I don't give a sh*t ... Is there many normal day to day English people actually concerned about this ? If they want independence good on them, if they don't good on them.

You sound like an angry man

Thought that was quite a placid post

Markt85 said:
TTTCITYBHOY said:
Markt85 said:

You sound like an angry man

Thought that was quite a placid post

Probably the same as you Mark.....as in don't give a shit tbh.
Bad result on Saturday mate :(
For both.

I still don't understand the idea of "it's Scotland's oil". If I understand it correctly, those North Sea fields are in UK waters. If Scotland leaves the UK, then I don't see how Scotland has a legitimate claim to them without some serious bargaining with Westminster.
And by the way, I am Scottish, before anyone starts.
Would be nice to know more facts about the North Sea situation.

ayrshire_blue said:
metalblue said:
ayrshire_blue said:
For about 2 years I was undecided but leaning towards no. This was until around a year ago - or maybe less - and at the current time I can't figure out why I would even be so fucking stupid to even contemplate voting no.

Better together campaign has been an absolute disaster from the beginning. Scaremongering after scaremongering.

We'll keep the pound (confirmed by Alistair Darling), our pensions will be secured, and we can afford it. This has all been covered in detail.

All with the added bonus that we will get to make decisions which suit our own bloody country rather than London and the South East.

No more Tories (unless of course, WE actually vote for them!!).

Since 1942 142 countries have voted for independence. Not one of them has ever wanted to give it up yet neither one of the 142 countries have been in such a position to vote for independence as Scotland are at the current time.

There's more to fear in the event of a no vote (Tories, Ukip, EU referendum etc etc) than anything in a yes vote.

"Of course Scotland could be a successfull independent nation" - Even David fucking Cameron admits it.

Vote yes!

I'd honestly love to know how

Scotland is roughly 8% of the country per population yet contributes 9% to the economy. In other words - subsidising the rUK. Of course, we have higher spending than the rUK but that v considered it's still less than we generate.

In an independent country the need (and want) for Scotland's most popular exports aren't going to suddenly decrease. Whisky, Oil, Tourism and other revenue streams will continue to be gained as they always have done.

Never to mention the huge savings on nuclear weapons/trident which would be put towards issues closer to home for example the likes of food banks which are growing in numbers month by month.

The savings on not invading every country in the world - whether worthwhile or not - can be put to use IN SCOTLAND.

The overriding factor in all my reasons for voting yes is having a say in our own future. Scotland's vote has never meant anything in a general election. Vote Labour - get the Tories. Vote SNP - Get a Tory/lib dem coalition. What's next? Vote SNP and get stuck with Cameron and Farage? Not for me thanks. And no, it's not about every individual getting the government they want but creating a far fairer and democratic society which can be represented by a government voted for by the population it serves.

Nobody's saying it won't be without risk. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And the better together campaign have came up with absolutely NOTHING to suggest Scots could suffer in the result of a YES vote. Instead, they've made half hearted efforts at telling us why we're better giving Westminster our money and letting them make our decisions for us.

"The possibility of being better is better in itself than the fear of being worse".
Great post.
The Yes vote should be about wanting to control your own destiny despite the risks.
I think the risks may be greater than you think and a lot of them are unknown ( that also applies to England by the way).
The position of the monarchy does not seem to have been mentioned a lot in the campaign.
I assume an independent Scotland could become a republic, subject to a referendum?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.