Season Predictions

I would really like us to win the FA Cup this season. After the whole debacle of last year's exit and the over the top and completely untrue criticism about us 'devaluing the competition' it'd be nice to turn round and win it this time. And besides which, I fancy a trip to Wembley where I can wear a t-shirt rather than the 4 or 5 layers of clothing you have to put on for the League Cup Final!

Maybe wrong in this thread, but rather than predictions here are my expectations:

PL - Top 3 (being the main target of the season)
CL - QF and hoping for a makable draw to get further
Trip to Wembley in one of the domestic cups.

On top of that: a strong team, passion and a louder home support.

I don't believe we should be favourites for the title. The 2017/2018 season is when I expect us to truly flourish.

Can't believe how many are throwing in the towel after a pre season friendly when we have Fernando and Kolarov as centre backs.

Funny though.

No-one's throwing in the towel and the defeat to Arsenal has little to do with it. It's more about a squad that currently contains just 2 recognised strikers and 2 recognised centre halves (anyone as thinks Kompany is going to play more than about a dozen games or so again this season, or that Nolito is going to be an adequate stand in for Kelechi never mind Kun, is dreaming IMO), going into a 55 game season, playing a new brand of football that will necessarily take time to adjust to, and with several squad members ill suited, at face value, to that task. Spurs will be playing the same way as last season, as will Arsenal, as will the dippers, who are also significantly stronger personnel wise than they were last year when they aggregated us 7-1 in the league. The rags meanwhile have assembled possibly the biggest side in footballing history, many of whom are also extremely athletic. De Gea, Valencia, Shaw, Smalling, Bailly, Carrick, Bogbrush, Martial, Pogba and Ibrahimovic average an astonishing 6ft 3' between them, and with Maureen in charge they'll kick sand in the faces of all of their high pressing rivals like they've always done. Only Chelsea have really got to learn from scratch like us.
The majority of people on here are expecting a slow start with City being some way adrift come Christmas, but then climbing their way up the table from there as Pep's magic begins to work. I don't think they're wrong. Top 3 for me at the end of the season will be rags, dippers and the Arse in that order, with City, Spurs and Chelsea fighting it out for 4th place. 6th however would not be a total shock in my book

PL - Will be a struggle, I think 6th place at this moment in time.
FA Cup - Dependent on the draw but as it starts in January I am going for us to win it.
League Cup - Should do OK and expect a lot of youngsters to be tried, hoping for semi-final at least.
Chumps - Knocked out by Steaua as we are completely undercooked, bad for the owner, but frankly could help us in the rest of the season
Europa League - Give it a good bash and hope for quarters.

Not picking on you specifically, just highlighting your post as indicative of many on this (and other) threads.

If the above pans out as you expect I would expect to see literally hundreds of posters taking back their vitriol towards our last manager. A man who, remember, behaved with great dignity and class from day one, and who seemed genuinely honoured to manage such a great club as ours, and who answered the call immediately, not waiting for 4 years to fit us into his busy schedule of 'projects'.

- Why last year was top 4, CL semi final, and a cup win a disaster but next year, with last years squad plus over £100m in new toys, top 6 is acceptable?
- Why would failing to get through one of the easier qualification rounds to the CL be anything other than an unmitigated failure? If this were to happen it would be a gross misconduct and a sackable offence. No excuses.
- Who finishes above us in the league? Chelsea? Starting from a lot further back than we are: Utd? Ditto. And if they do are you saying that they have a better manager AND a better board than we do? Because to finish above is this season would mean exactly that. Arsenal? With Wenger and a board that doesn't like buying players. Spurs? May run us quite close but that's stretching it a bit. Leicester? Not again. Liverpool? Possibly I suppose. They do have the best manager from German football so it's possible.

Then we go to season two of three. When I fully expect Pep to be making eyes at his next project.

I can't stand this revisionism on here and the lowering of expectations.

We did not put the club on hold for 4 years, ripping the floor from underneath two world class managers in the process to write off the first of a 3 season master plan.

MP won a double in his first season, taking over a squad which many told us was bereft of morale, team spirit, and leaders.

Pep made the whole club wait for 4 years. We didn't do that to accept our lowest league position for 6 seasons.

I expect a title win or a very close run race at the absolute least.
Ironically I reckon Pep would agree with this more than he would agree that "just top 4" or "6th" would be acceptable.

Rant over.

Not picking on you specifically, just highlighting your post as indicative of many on this (and other) threads.

If the above pans out as you expect I would expect to see literally hundreds of posters taking back their vitriol towards our last manager. A man who, remember, behaved with great dignity and class from day one, and who seemed genuinely honoured to manage such a great club as ours, and who answered the call immediately, not waiting for 4 years to fit us into his busy schedule of 'projects'.

- Why last year was top 4, CL semi final, and a cup win a disaster but next year, with last years squad plus over £100m in new toys, top 6 is acceptable?
- Why would failing to get through one of the easier qualification rounds to the CL be anything other than an unmitigated failure? If this were to happen it would be a gross misconduct and a sackable offence. No excuses.
- Who finishes above us in the league? Chelsea? Starting from a lot further back than we are: Utd? Ditto. And if they do are you saying that they have a better manager AND a better board than we do? Because to finish above is this season would mean exactly that. Arsenal? With Wenger and a board that doesn't like buying players. Spurs? May run us quite close but that's stretching it a bit. Leicester? Not again. Liverpool? Possibly I suppose. They do have the best manager from German football so it's possible.

Then we go to season two of three. When I fully expect Pep to be making eyes at his next project.

I can't stand this revisionism on here and the lowering of expectations.

We did not put the club on hold for 4 years, ripping the floor from underneath two world class managers in the process to write off the first of a 3 season master plan.

MP won a double in his first season, taking over a squad which many told us was bereft of morale, team spirit, and leaders.

Pep made the whole club wait for 4 years. We didn't do that to accept our lowest league position for 6 seasons.

I expect a title win or a very close run race at the absolute least.
Ironically I reckon Pep would agree with this more than he would agree that "just top 4" or "6th" would be acceptable.

Rant over.

100% correct, there's is no bedding in, Pep has to hit the ground running. Unsuitable players isn't and excuse, its a sign of gross incompetence at the behavior of those involved in signing our players over the last 4 years, as it's they that coined the "Hollistic" approach.

or that Nolito is going to be an adequate stand in for Kelechi

Save me googling, does anyone know: a) is Kelechi at the Olympics with his country, Nigeria I think. And b) is there an African Cup Of Nations in Jan/Feb 2017, which he will be going to? Oh that's made me think of c) has Yaya retired from international duty? Cos if not, he might be going too (as will Bony, if he is still with us).

P.S. My predictions are we win everything - although I hope the league cup is won by the youths (& I win the telegraph fantasy football league, £50000)!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.